Beginner - Two Handed Ball Arsenal

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

PinPost

Beginner - Two Handed Ball Arsenal

Post by PinPost »

Hi,

Just started bowling (2handed) couple months ago with some minor success.

The avg has been around 150-160 and the next goal is to at least get 200 for one of 3 sets :? :shock: :D

As a sport freak you can of course never have too much equipment.

I can whip my Bwick Rhino: slow , hard, straight slow, extrem spin and in some context from left to right (right handed)

As I can whip the ball with some revs, my question is more related to traction /symmetrical asymmetrical.

1. If I dont want to give up the advantage of whipping from left to right as right handed player stay symmetrical?

2. I would like to stay with an arsenal of 3 balls (bowling balls ;) ) should I get pearl , matte and plastic?

3. What about Flare (wobblines or what you call it) on symmetrical, Matte with more Flare for lots of oil, Pearl less flare for medium/light oil and the plastic for spares?

4. Thinking of: Get another Rhino and sand it to matte and stay on the game?

5. Some times in my local hall they have lots of oil (long lane oil) so additional traction would be nice

Plastic/80's ball players have created oil upfront so its hard to get harder shot pass the oil spot, slower shots will get pass but you dont get the kaboom from the pins, increasing bad luck.

6. Thinking of following, Rhino Pearl , Rhino Sanded, Plastic (Spend more money on traing instead of balls)

Please suggest some good options for 3 ball arsenal for the two handed player?
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: Beginner - Two Handed Ball Arsenal

Post by boomer »

PinPost wrote:Hi,

The avg has been around 150-160 and the next goal is to at least get 200 for one of 3 sets :? :shock: :D

I can whip my Bwick Rhino: slow , hard, straight slow, extrem spin and in some context from left to right (right handed)

As I can whip the ball with some revs, my question is more related to traction /symmetrical asymmetrical.

1. If I dont want to give up the advantage of whipping from left to right as right handed player stay symmetrical?

2. I would like to stay with an arsenal of 3 balls (bowling balls ;) ) should I get pearl , matte and plastic?

3. What about Flare (wobblines or what you call it) on symmetrical, Matte with more Flare for lots of oil, Pearl less flare for medium/light oil and the plastic for spares?

5. Some times in my local hall they have lots of oil (long lane oil) so additional traction would be nice

Plastic/80's ball players have created oil upfront so its hard to get harder shot pass the oil spot, slower shots will get pass but you dont get the kaboom from the pins, increasing bad luck.

6. Thinking of following, Rhino Pearl , Rhino Sanded, Plastic (Spend more money on traing instead of balls)

I'll only comment on one ball - how well can you pick up your 10-pin? If you can change your delivery to hit that pin consistently (as it's consistently the most challenging pin for us righties) then no big deal. However, I have a hard time doing that consistently with my strike ball (whichever it is) especially on dry lanes. . . so I carry a plastic ball (White Dot) that doesn't so much hook as it kinda straightens. . . and it allows me to pick up that 10-pin with some consistency. You'll notice nearly all of the pros carry one dedicated spare ball . . . so I would advise ONE of your three be a plastic spare ball.
vicsmyth

Post by vicsmyth »

The Rhino is an entry level pearl ball. These are great on dry conditions. But for another ball you might consider going a step up to a mid-level hybrid. Your Pro shop should have some suggestions.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

PinPost wrote:Hi,

I think you have a sound plan. Very simple and cost effective. The best 3 ball set would be set up very much like you suggest. Dull, Shiny and plastic.

Getting some good coaching and practicing regularly is much more valuable to your bowling game. Especially at this very early stage in your bowling career.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
PinPost

Post by PinPost »

Thanks for the replies, I hope that I manage to get out of the shop with only 3 balls, instead of 4 or 5 :shock: :D
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

What’s your speed and rev rate. Regardless what some may say, urethane is a good option if you have speed and revs. I personally like the Purple Hammer.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent