How do you know if your ball is drilled properly? PAP etc

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

How do you know if your ball is drilled properly? PAP etc

Post by krava »

is there anyway of knowing for sure if your ball is drilled properly? like pap distance is 5 1/4 and should be 3 3/4 etc? if the ball is drilled wrong, the ball doesn't have good ball motion? i don't want to be using a ball that is drilled wrong trying to learn how to do stuff and the ball is to blame. (right now the ball rolls fine to me but I don't want to fight a bad drilled incorrect ball.)

also if you change the style, the way you release the ball throw it etc, can that change what your pap should be and all that also? For example always releasing the ball going on the outside or the right side of the ball. Then change to work the inside (left side and do a slight sweep).
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: How do you know if your ball is drilled properly? PAP et

Post by 44boyd »

You’ve got a long way to go before you have to worry about that. But you can put a piece of tape on the PAP once you have everything down and see if it changes.
Stacy
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

44boyd wrote:You’ve got a long way to go before you have to worry about that. But you can put a piece of tape on the PAP once you have everything down and see if it changes.
It is time for him to to be concerned about how his balls are drilled.
krava wrote:is there anyway of knowing for sure if your ball is drilled properly? like pap distance is 5 1/4 and should be 3 3/4 etc? if the ball is drilled wrong, the ball doesn't have good ball motion? i don't want to be using a ball that is drilled wrong trying to learn how to do stuff and the ball is to blame. (right now the ball rolls fine to me but I don't want to fight a bad drilled incorrect ball.)

also if you change the style, the way you release the ball throw it etc, can that change what your pap should be and all that also? For example always releasing the ball going on the outside or the right side of the ball. Then change to work the inside (left side and do a slight sweep).
From the beginning I have asked about your release specs to give you layouts that will work best for you.
You are diligently trying to improve. Everything that you have been discussing here is ultimately making you a more versatile bowler through techniques and lane lane play. It is time for you to tune your arsenal to the bowler you have become.

Find your PAP on every ball and have them measured in dual angles. then you know what you are actually rolling. Descriptive adjectives like long and strong or however the drillier wants to call it is not a method you can use to properly line up an arsenal.

Right now you can only evaluate by what you perceive the coverstrength/surface prep is giving you.
Tilt Rotation Speed and Revs Need to be known to compare against what you have for a layout.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

When you get a ball you should explain to the driller what you want the ball to do. The driller will then layout the ball accordingly. You and the driller know what was said. For example if you tell the driller you want the ball to go long on dry lanes you should not expect it to hook of heavy oil. Bowling balls are often drilled for specific requirements, if the requirement changes the ball does not.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

JimH wrote:When you get a ball you should explain to the driller what you want the ball to do. The driller will then layout the ball accordingly. You and the driller know what was said. For example if you tell the driller you want the ball to go long on dry lanes you should not expect it to hook of heavy oil. Bowling balls are often drilled for specific requirements, if the requirement changes the ball does not.
I do not want to disrespect you or the services you provide. My experiences with drillers has not been good. I will not just leave it up to them.
Do you keep records of all the balls your customers have and how they are drilled?
Are you tuning the arsenal so as not to duplicate reactions?
I am going out on a limb and say most drillers do not. My bad experiences with drillers led me here to learn how to layout equipment myself. Now I am trying to help others make sense of their arsenals.

Krava's descriptions of how a ball is layed out makes me just shake my head. Phrases like "it is drilled to take the hook out of it", drilled to hook or drilled "with Control". These types of descriptions tell me nothing. He doesn't even know his PAP so this tells me his driller isn't taking into consideration his release when planning a layout.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

I do keep a record of every ball I have drilled. I ask what other equipment a bowler has in the arsenal and if the bowler brings the equipment to me I can make a note of the layout.

I had a bowler come to me once with a fitting he said was the most comfortable he ever had. He complained that no one could drill a ball as comfortable as the original driller. The original driller also gave him a note of the fitting. I asked to see the ball and copied the fitting. The original driller made 3 errors on the fitting note the bowler asked for.

On another occasion a bowler told me he needed a ball for light oil conditions that did not hook much. He used it in a tournament and another driller was bowling in the tournament. The other driller told him he wasted his money on the ball as it would never hook. He came back to me complaining about my workmanship. I reminded him of his original requirement and wished him well.

If a bowler gives me a particular layout I will drill that, but I make a note that the layout was not mine.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

44boyd wrote:You’ve got a long way to go before you have to worry about that. But you can put a piece of tape on the PAP once you have everything down and see if it changes.

Exactly!
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"