Purple Power to clean or rejuvenate ball?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

vicsmyth

Purple Power to clean or rejuvenate ball?

Post by vicsmyth »

I recently tried Purple Power, a $6 per gallon degreaser purchased at Walmart or Home Depot, to experiment with on a few old balls. I sanded a Rotogrip Unhinged and a Rotogrip Shout (both oil soaked and ready for the dumpster) with 200 grit paper, then let them soak in a bucket of full strength Purple Power for 24 hours. I let it dry for a day, then refinished with 600, 2000, and polished on a spinner. The Shout, a solid, reacts like it did when it was brand new. The Unhinged, a pearl, worked fine for 5 frames, then ended up in the dumpster.

Has anyone else tried Purple Power? I also use it to clean older balls after each session. Soaking a ball discolors it slightly giving it a chalky look, sanding brings the color back. Purple Power is also hard on the hands, wearing gloves recommended.
PIJoe
THS Average: 219
Sport Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
Speed: 17 mph Foul/14.5 mph Pins
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Physix, Crux Prime, UFO, The Fix
Medium Oil Ball: Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Phaze II Hustle Ink, Pro-Motion
Light Oil Ball: Wild Streak, Black Hammer, Purple Hammer
Preferred Company: Storm/Roto

Re: Purple Power to clean or rejuvenate ball?

Post by PIJoe »

I've got some in the garage, but I think it's probably too much for most coverstocks, as shown with that pearl. I'd probably try it, but not soaking full strength. Any reason for soaking like that after a session, especially with old equipment? Is it urethane equipment, or just older reactive?

The only "real" non-bowling specific chemical I've used to clean is Simple Green, which was reduced down a bit. I'm steaming oil out at home, or using a hairdryer if needed on the road, with simple Big B (Brunswick) cleaner afterwards.
Normal Release
PAP: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
RPM: 340
Axis Rotation: 45*
Axis Tilt: 12*
Speed: 17 mph at line

Crux Prime, Physix, UFO, Phaze II, Pro-Motion, Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Wild Streak, Blackout Pearl, Blue Dot, The Fix, Katana
vicsmyth

Post by vicsmyth »

I soaked a few older balls in Purple Power for 24 hours to see if I could rejuvenate them cheaply. Some pro shops around here would use a similar technique soaking the ball overnight in a gel of some sort rather than baking the oil out. The Purple Power overnight soak worked great with one ball, a Rotogrip Scream (hybrid), did not work at all with a Rotogrip Unhinged (pearl). I also use Purple Power to clean my older balls after each session using a spinner. Seems to work as well as the $30/quart stuff that I purchase. I have some Simple Green, but haven't tried it on a ball yet (worked great on my vinyl siding). I've had balls professionally rejuvenated and they last about 5 games before they are back to being completely degraded again. Just looking for cheaper options and wondering if anyone has tried anything that works.
PIJoe
THS Average: 219
Sport Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
Speed: 17 mph Foul/14.5 mph Pins
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Physix, Crux Prime, UFO, The Fix
Medium Oil Ball: Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Phaze II Hustle Ink, Pro-Motion
Light Oil Ball: Wild Streak, Black Hammer, Purple Hammer
Preferred Company: Storm/Roto

Post by PIJoe »

Yeah, the rejuvenation seem to vary on effectiveness and how long they last, depending on the ball. My Hammers (Raw Toxic, Phobia, Arson Low Flare don't seem to react much to baking or steaming, but my Brunswick Edge/Edge pearl really take well to baking. The only "Cleaner" I seem to have much luck with seems to be Storm ReactaClean, and that's just for quick wipes at the lanes. It's probably a situation where the ball manufacturers really don't want us to have excellent success, because that would slow sales of both cleaners- and new equipment.
Normal Release
PAP: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
RPM: 340
Axis Rotation: 45*
Axis Tilt: 12*
Speed: 17 mph at line

Crux Prime, Physix, UFO, Phaze II, Pro-Motion, Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Wild Streak, Blackout Pearl, Blue Dot, The Fix, Katana