Layout for ancient lefty for venom shock Pearl 12lb 3oz

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Layout for ancient lefty for venom shock Pearl 12lb 3oz

Post by jdrsuper »

My specs are in my signature. The balls Radius of Gyration is 2.63 and Max Differential is .027 if that helps. i am looking for the a reaction that's long and strong and to be able to use on both sport and house shots. I realize that the ball is for light to medium oil but with my lack of speed, I feel it would work in heavy oil also. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Layout for ancient lefty for venom shock Pearl 12lb 3oz

Post by EricHartwell »

jdrsuper wrote:My specs are in my signature. The balls Radius of Gyration is 2.63 and Max Differential is .027 if that helps. i am looking for the a reaction that's long and strong and to be able to use on both sport and house shots. I realize that the ball is for light to medium oil but with my lack of speed, I feel it would work in heavy oil also. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you want this ball to use after next year when the no balance hole rule goes into effect?

I am assuming that you will want this ball for more than a year, so my recommendation will not have a balance hole. xx-3-55

Factory surface of 5500 is a very shiny ball. Adjust surface to tune the skid length for the heavier oil conditions and be diligent in wiping the ball off. Light oil balls don't absorb oil nearly as fast heavy oil balls.

Just about any layout on the Venom Shock will be in the long category for you without the use of a balance hole. This will Not be a good choice for longer (43'+) patterns. Check out the Motiv Villain at 12 pounds for the longer patterns. 2.63 Rg, .039 diff, .014 int diff with a layout of 40-5-40
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
jdrsuper

Post by jdrsuper »

EricHartwell wrote: Do you want this ball to use after next year when the no balance hole rule goes into effect?

I am assuming that you will want this ball for more than a year, so my recommendation will not have a balance hole. xx-3-55

Factory surface of 5500 is a very shiny ball. Adjust surface to tune the skid length for the heavier oil conditions and be diligent in wiping the ball off. Light oil balls don't absorb oil nearly as fast heavy oil balls.

Just about any layout on the Venom Shock will be in the long category for you without the use of a balance hole. This will Not be a good choice for longer (43'+) patterns. Check out the Motiv Villain at 12 pounds for the longer patterns. 2.63 Rg, .039 diff, .014 int diff with a layout of 40-5-40
Eric,

Thanks for the recommended layouts. I'll try the Venom Shock pearl and see how it works out for me. This is my first Motiv ball but I do like the fact that they use the same cores in 12 to 16 lb balls, at least that's what the person at Motiv told me. W.ould a 45-3-55 work for the pearl. You are right I don't want any extra holes.
Joel Resnick

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

jdrsuper wrote:
Eric,

Thanks for the recommended layouts. I'll try the Venom Shock pearl and see how it works out for me. This is my first Motiv ball but I do like the fact that they use the same cores in 12 to 16 lb balls, at least that's what the person at Motiv told me. W.ould a 45-3-55 work for the pearl. You are right I don't want any extra holes.
It will be more like 90-3-30 the drilling angle measured to the thumb. I would not position the Cg at 45* unless you really want to push the static weight 3 oz limit for side weight.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
jdrsuper

Post by jdrsuper »

EricHartwell wrote: It will be more like 90-3-30 the drilling angle measured to the thumb. I would not position the Cg at 45* unless you really want to push the static weight 3 oz limit for side weight.
Eric, Had the ball drilled today and we wound up with 60x4x55 which took out the pin totally rather then clip it. The ball goes long and strong but on the THS I had to stand on 30 throw out to 8 at about 45 feet. I bowled two games and like the reaction of the Venom shock pearl will see how it does Sunday on a sport shot at the ABT. Thanks again.
Joel Resnick