playing a straighter shot midlane during transistion

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

playing a straighter shot midlane during transistion

Post by krava »

I am looking for a ball to use after the lanes break down a bit moving me more into the middle. This is when the breakpoint starts to move inward and if you swing it out it wont' come back because it is so dry it dies when it touches it. I don't need a hook monster because I am thinking about playing anywhere from 13-15 to about 12, (10 max) and into the pocket. Then when the lanes opens up more I can swing it a bit more and get a bigger angle on it. For instance lets say a radical ridiculous or storm rocketship was used and now it doesn't seem to be enough ball to fight in the middle of the lane where there is more oil. if you don't know a ridiculous is 500 gritt and then add compound and rocketship is around 3000-4000 gritt (at this point or higher). Or just ball up at that point to something with a stronger core and cover and hopefully that fixes it?

I am thinking storm phase II but from the reviews they say it is nice on the fresh. maybe drill it pin down to give it just a tad more length and drill it for control? Because there will be a lot of dry spots out there because the lane will have been worn down when it is used.

or do you just get a medium heavy ball such as say bad intentions with a 1000 less grit on it and try that?

I haven't had a chance to experiement with anything on something like that yet since I been busy.d
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: playing a straighter shot midlane during transistion

Post by 44boyd »

Katana, Katana Slash. You don’t need a new post to keep a discussion going.

Serious question, why would you think a control layout since your complaint is your ball has nothing on the backend? Your ball is burning up and you need to increase entry angle and/or you’re not rolling it right.
Stacy
mrbean
THS Average: 150
Speed: 12-14 mph camera
Heavy Oil Ball: kingpin, awesome finish, grind, crank, super carbide bomb,
Medium Oil Ball: soniq, grind/r, primal rage remix
Light Oil Ball: anything that works
Preferred Company: lane #1

Post by mrbean »

if you are looking for a strong symmetric ball, try to find a primal rage remix. i probably could play straighter with mine if i had more ball speed
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe
jazlar

Post by jazlar »

44boyd wrote:Katana, Katana Slash. You don’t need a new post to keep a discussion going.

Serious question, why would you think a control layout since your complaint is your ball has nothing on the backend? Your ball is burning up and you need to increase entry angle and/or you’re not rolling it right.
I agree with all of this. Again, I watched some of your videos and I'm left shaking my head. Not sure why you are making massive moves and then switching balls. You're just going to mess with your head even more. On a house shot, general 2 and 1 moves should work. Sometimes you might have to move more than that, but it depends where your ball finishes.

In terms of ball, I'm assuming the Katana would be an excellent choice. I have the Ludicrous and it is great for moving left and feeding out. Don't drill it for control. You're looking for length and quick response down lane. Use higher grits and/or polish to further tweak for this reaction. And by going with an asym, you might still get it to finish on tugs in.

That Rip'd Solid is an oiler and meant more for playing in the oil and not away from the pocket - especially at box finish / with surface. The Radical high end balls are designed more for back end reaction. Go watch the latest perception vs reality video.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

here is my normal movement:

(this isn't in stone but generally what I come across and how the lanes seem to want to be played buy what I use. I can start at 12, 14, 5 board doesn't matter).

stand 28.5 throw across 10 at the arrows out to 8, when have to move move to 29. keep moving half a board if the ball gets to be too high. If I throw a ball and I have a bad leave such as a 2-10 8-10 or something and the ball hits the pocket and deflects I make a 2 and 1 move. If the ball seems to be dieing out getting into dry early then 2 and 1 move or 3 and 2. Then continue to make 1/2 board moves. It will get to a point where 2 and 1 move doesn't work and the ball won't come back. Then I switch to a stronger ball more aggressive (I go from a medium oil ball to medium heavy oil ball), Then that will work for a time and then that stops working and then there is where the problem comes in. For argument sake say I am now standing at 32 throwing across 12 to 10 and the ball is dieing out. What is going on is that I need to move the breakpoint inward since the oil pattern is getting shorter because of all the heavy use from 8-10 where the range finders are. if the ball gets in that it immediately dies (Rob M refers to this as the dead zone).

I am having issues throwing the ball from lets say 15-13 or from 20-15. I might have my body pointed too much at a / and not straight enough for that shot. I didn't know that I could throw the ball and have it go to 15 and it comes back in and still hit the pocket. I thought 15 was too far left for a breakpoint or whatever you call it before the ball starts to roll out.

In one of the videos I jump from 3-4th arrow back to 1st. I know there was oil on the 1st arrow since I never played there the whole time. that oil lasted for a game and a frame or so.

Now I need to look up the ripped. Don't I need a ball that revs early when your trying to sling it out and cover a lot of boards? I noticed that this ball looks like it revs later. It could be the way it was drilled or the way it was thrown. This ball is not a good fit at all. The thumb hole is a little too big. I have 2 pieces of tape in it but still the fit doesn't feel right.
davidjr113
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 1 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by davidjr113 »

If you are hitting 10 at arrows out to 8 at breakpoint, it seems to me you are playing almost straight up the boards so i don’t know how you get there starting at 28.5. Seems to me you should be starting somewhere 17-20 and walking pretty straight up the boards, maybe sliding on 18 to go 10/8. Am I missing something?
Senior Bowler
Tilt 23
Rot 20-40
Speed off hand 17-18
Rev 200-250
PAP 4 5/8 over 1 up RH'd 185+ On THS
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

starting at 28, maybe drifted a board or 2 then last step left foot jumps right like 3-5 boards no idea why. It looks like I ended up at 20. I think I hit 8 board almost straight up in that shot.

The reason I can hit that like that is because my ball needs to be like 5 boards more left toward my foot.

I got a lot to work on. Footwork, dropping shoulder down, keeping wrist released right.
jazlar

Post by jazlar »

Use the foul line (0 step) drill in practice. This will help with staying behind the ball, rolling the ball, getting the ball closer to your ankle, etc. I've used it to get better at all these things. Then use a one step drill. Once you have a good feel using these, moving left and swinging the ball out should be much easier to do.

When you get left and swing the ball out, you often need a ball that will store energy and respond more on the back end. Stronger balls (front to back) will generally burn up covering too many boards. They are better when keeping your angles in front of you.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

that is the one step drill or something else?
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Yes, you might even have to do the foul line drill where you take no step to keep your wrist from breaking first. If you follow Shannon O’Keefe (or others) on Facebook or Instagram she shows a lot of the drills.
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

SO what would your suggestion be on practice?

Throw a few games of the foul like drill until you can throw several balls correctly. Then move up to trying the 1 step drill. if having trouble with the 1 step drill go back down to the foul line drill. If you can do the 1 step drill and throw the ball several times in a row then try the whole approach? If whole approach fails then go back to the 1 step drill etc?

I have alot of confidence in this now compared to the first time I tried the foul line drill. I think I can do the foul line drill right off the bat but will see. From what I see there, you start with your fingers pointed inward toward your leg. You lift the ball up then push fingers under the ball by lifting out (infront of you). Then when you throw the ball ( 1 foot swing infront, then 1 foot or so in back and then roll the ball off the hand and the index finger should be pointed straight down at release and palm should go facing up. Now if you hit the ball with the palm of your hand is that what you mean by "hitting it up?"

The hardest part I see on any of this is the backswing. In the backswing, somehow you have to keep your fingers in the ball pointed toward toward your legs/feet and still make sure your not breaking your wrist. it doesn't feel like a straight swing, it feels like you swing back then pull your hand inward toward you and then roll it off.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

The easiest way to describe the fingers is to hold the ball with the weight of the ball on your pointer finger. That V you create when you spread it. You’ll have to learn the feel for yourself. Main thing is to “see” how the ball rolls different and recognize that feeling of your wrist hand just letting it roll.

Hitting up is that little extra mustard you are putting on it causing your wrist to break and rotate too soon.
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

First attempt Foul line drill

(I believe that I have it down pretty good. the only fault I saw was the ball might be a little too high off the ground. I might have it 12-18" off the ground and need it about 6". )

The question is am I suppose to look at a mark or something or just let it go? I didn't look at any mark, I was just worried about keeping hand straight and behind the ball and coming out of it correctly

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (1 step drill still needs lot of work)

Something is wrong with the focus of this video. I had lot of trouble with the 1 step drill. I see that I come back correctly on the swing (when it goes backwards), when it comes forward I guess I am way too early and start to turn my hand or something.

Other question is am I suppose to look at a mark when I do this to aim the ball or let go? Last few frames I started looking at a mark.

tomorrow have more time. Take 3 shots film, go to computer review and then try to make changes. I have 10 hours I can bowl tomorrow all same price $8.

I am going to try to reach toward the ground with the bowling hand to get deeper down also. The ball used never did roll good anytime. it is a storm match pearl drilled with the backend taken out. It has high angles in the dual angle drill. I don't know the exact drilling.

ran across this: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (slowinski 1 step drill) that looks a lot easier then the o keefee one that doesn't help much at all. this shouldn't be hard at all.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Foul line drill wasn’t bad, keep working on it. If you do it right, gutter balls and 7 pins is what you’ll get. You pull the ball a little, just let it swing and roll it. Did you notice the difference in roll?

One step drill needs work, you’re wanting to plant instead of slide. It’s a drill to get you going forward, not stand in place like you are. Just keep working on it.
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

noticed the difference a little in the roll. I did get a strike like 5 shots in or something but that looked good to me. I guess I released it a little to the right but the ball movement looked good I thought. I don't usually plant I slide but I am not used to taking 1 step and sliding that needs some work. got to get lower down to the ground. hard to get down when hip is hurting. Bowled way too much in the past week and not used to it.
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

See this video start @ 20 mins. Take your time & execute these moves. Your armswing & ball are still far away from the ankle in both drills you're doing. Watch this video & duplicate it! Good luck....