Surface adjustment question

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Rob58
THS Average: 175
Preferred Company: Storm

Surface adjustment question

Post by Rob58 »

I recently picked up a Motiv Villain. I am a low rev player and I find on a fresh shot at my local house the ball comes in light. After the pattern begins to break down the ball comes in and hits great.

I’d like to bring the surface down with abralon in hopes of getting the ball to read a little earlier but I’m unsure of the grits I should use. The Villain is a 3000LSS finish out of box, Motiv’s guide says to restore the out of box finish go with 500/1000/2000, I’m thinking of hitting it with 500 then 1000? I’m not too concerned with the ball over hooking once the shot is broken down and drying up as I could adjust where I line up and target as well as speed.

I also have a Optimus at 1500 out of box cover, and Sure Lock at 2000 out of box cover in the bag which have been great balls for me and have also thrown the Storm IQ balls. The Villain cover feels smoother and not as grabby as the Optimus or Sure Lock to the touch. The pin action when I hit a solid pocket shot is tremendous with the Villain, I just feel like it needs a little help early on fresh oil to get to the pocket with some more force.

Edited to add the Villain is brand new, I’ve put 6 games on it in league play.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! -Rob
Last edited by Rob58 on August 26th, 2018, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Surface adjustment question

Post by 44boyd »

If you or your PSO hasn’t touched the surface, then you’re probably way past OOB finish with lane shine. If you have kept up, just hit it with a 2000 and see if that’s what you need and go from there. It’s hard to replicate factory finish, so just adjust for your game and don’t worry about what it was stock.

As far as pads, CTD pads seem to me to be a grit higher than the abralon/saiir and are supposed to last longer (and have so far). Hitting it with a CTD 2000 is like a 1000 Abralon to me.
Stacy
turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

Re: Surface adjustment question

Post by turbotwister »

when my ball hits light, i move right and then as the lanes start breaking down, i migrate to the left. sanding is my last option ,especially if i use it for my go to ball.