Layout for ancient lefty for venom shock Pearl 12lb 3oz

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
jdrsuper
Member
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 12:44 am
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Layout for ancient lefty for venom shock Pearl 12lb 3oz

Post by jdrsuper » September 18th, 2018, 9:32 pm

My specs are in my signature. The balls Radius of Gyration is 2.63 and Max Differential is .027 if that helps. i am looking for the a reaction that's long and strong and to be able to use on both sport and house shots. I realize that the ball is for light to medium oil but with my lack of speed, I feel it would work in heavy oil also. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.

User avatar
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 3639
Joined: April 5th, 2011, 12:24 am
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Villain, Hammer Nail, Brunswick True Motion
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer, Columbia Nitrous
Location: Michigan

Re: Layout for ancient lefty for venom shock Pearl 12lb 3oz

Post by EricHartwell » September 19th, 2018, 2:56 am

jdrsuper wrote:My specs are in my signature. The balls Radius of Gyration is 2.63 and Max Differential is .027 if that helps. i am looking for the a reaction that's long and strong and to be able to use on both sport and house shots. I realize that the ball is for light to medium oil but with my lack of speed, I feel it would work in heavy oil also. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you want this ball to use after next year when the no balance hole rule goes into effect?

I am assuming that you will want this ball for more than a year, so my recommendation will not have a balance hole. xx-3-55

Factory surface of 5500 is a very shiny ball. Adjust surface to tune the skid length for the heavier oil conditions and be diligent in wiping the ball off. Light oil balls don't absorb oil nearly as fast heavy oil balls.

Just about any layout on the Venom Shock will be in the long category for you without the use of a balance hole. This will Not be a good choice for longer (43'+) patterns. Check out the Motiv Villain at 12 pounds for the longer patterns. 2.63 Rg, .039 diff, .014 int diff with a layout of 40-5-40
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand

jdrsuper
Member
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 12:44 am
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Re: Layout for ancient lefty for venom shock Pearl 12lb 3oz

Post by jdrsuper » September 19th, 2018, 6:20 am

EricHartwell wrote: Do you want this ball to use after next year when the no balance hole rule goes into effect?

I am assuming that you will want this ball for more than a year, so my recommendation will not have a balance hole. xx-3-55

Factory surface of 5500 is a very shiny ball. Adjust surface to tune the skid length for the heavier oil conditions and be diligent in wiping the ball off. Light oil balls don't absorb oil nearly as fast heavy oil balls.

Just about any layout on the Venom Shock will be in the long category for you without the use of a balance hole. This will Not be a good choice for longer (43'+) patterns. Check out the Motiv Villain at 12 pounds for the longer patterns. 2.63 Rg, .039 diff, .014 int diff with a layout of 40-5-40
Eric,

Thanks for the recommended layouts. I'll try the Venom Shock pearl and see how it works out for me. This is my first Motiv ball but I do like the fact that they use the same cores in 12 to 16 lb balls, at least that's what the person at Motiv told me. W.ould a 45-3-55 work for the pearl. You are right I don't want any extra holes.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.

User avatar
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 3639
Joined: April 5th, 2011, 12:24 am
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Villain, Hammer Nail, Brunswick True Motion
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer, Columbia Nitrous
Location: Michigan

Re: Layout for ancient lefty for venom shock Pearl 12lb 3oz

Post by EricHartwell » September 22nd, 2018, 2:21 am

jdrsuper wrote:
Eric,

Thanks for the recommended layouts. I'll try the Venom Shock pearl and see how it works out for me. This is my first Motiv ball but I do like the fact that they use the same cores in 12 to 16 lb balls, at least that's what the person at Motiv told me. W.ould a 45-3-55 work for the pearl. You are right I don't want any extra holes.
It will be more like 90-3-30 the drilling angle measured to the thumb. I would not position the Cg at 45* unless you really want to push the static weight 3 oz limit for side weight.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand

jdrsuper
Member
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 12:44 am
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Re: Layout for ancient lefty for venom shock Pearl 12lb 3oz

Post by jdrsuper » September 22nd, 2018, 6:56 am

EricHartwell wrote: It will be more like 90-3-30 the drilling angle measured to the thumb. I would not position the Cg at 45* unless you really want to push the static weight 3 oz limit for side weight.
Eric, Had the ball drilled today and we wound up with 60x4x55 which took out the pin totally rather then clip it. The ball goes long and strong but on the THS I had to stand on 30 throw out to 8 at about 45 feet. I bowled two games and like the reaction of the Venom shock pearl will see how it does Sunday on a sport shot at the ABT. Thanks again.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.

Post Reply