Board index » General Forums » Ball Talk




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:18 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: November 2, 2010
Posts: 13
I am not impressed with recent Brunswick covers (wild ride in particular). So, now I am leary to even buy from big "B" or for that matter Morich (made by big "B"). I would like to purchase some new equipment from both big "B" and Morich. Are they making better covers now?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:56 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: January 30, 2010
Posts: 282
Location: Pittsburgh Area
gdog812 wrote:
I am not impressed with recent Brunswick covers (wild ride in particular). So, now I am leary to even buy from big "B" or for that matter Morich (made by big "B"). I would like to purchase some new equipment from both big "B" and Morich. Are they making better covers now?


Covers come in various strengths or configurations, when you say you are not impressed what exactly do you mean?

_________________
If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con' what is the opposite of 'progress'?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:01 am Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
gdog812 wrote:
I am not impressed with recent Brunswick covers (wild ride in particular). So, now I am leary to even buy from big "B" or for that matter Morich (made by big "B"). I would like to purchase some new equipment from both big "B" and Morich. Are they making better covers now?


The covers both of us are using are on the cutting edge of the industry. We are way ahead of what you saw on the Wild Ride. MoRich's new "super" covers started with the Craze. Look at the videos of Jack Jurek throwing our balls in the videos on the home page of www.morichbowling.com. I didn't like the Wild Ride, either.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:55 am Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Trusted Source
User avatar

Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 219
mo, i dubbed it the mild ride, LOL


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 am Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
littleJOEYrimshot wrote:
mo, i dubbed it the mild ride, LOL


Perfect name! Very onomatopoetic!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:40 am Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: November 2, 2010
Posts: 13
Well, the Wild Ride was one of the deadest balls (it hit the pocket flat, terrible mix). Likewise, I had the same problem with the Ultra Zone. Those were the 2 worst balls I have ever owned. I had better hit with my Avalanche Pearl and my Punisher. Another ball I had very good hit with was the the Track Arsenal (Aqua/Black). Likewise, the Fury Pearl was very good also. I have had other balls that had good hit/mix, but these just come to mind. The reason I bring this up, is because I heard Brunswick had some big flops with the covers (which would mean the same for Morich). So, I would like to know which ones are the bad covers and when did they start making good covers again. Be honest here, because I see Brunswick has gone back to some of their old covers (PK17, Actvator Plus, etc.) and I don't want to spend $200 on a ball and end up with another Wild Ride or Ulra Zone.
Revkiller wrote:
gdog812 wrote:
I am not impressed with recent Brunswick covers (wild ride in particular). So, now I am leary to even buy from big "B" or for that matter Morich (made by big "B"). I would like to purchase some new equipment from both big "B" and Morich. Are they making better covers now?


Covers come in various strengths or configurations, when you say you are not impressed what exactly do you mean?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 am Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4444
Location: Malta, NY
gdog812 wrote:
Well, the Wild Ride was one of the deadest balls (it hit the pocket flat, terrible mix). Likewise, I had the same problem with the Ultra Zone. Those were the 2 worst balls I have ever owned. I had better hit with my Avalanche Pearl and my Punisher. Another ball I had very good hit with was the the Track Arsenal (Aqua/Black). Likewise, the Fury Pearl was very good also. I have had other balls that had good hit/mix, but these just come to mind. The reason I bring this up, is because I heard Brunswick had some big flops with the covers (which would mean the same for Morich). So, I would like to know which ones are the bad covers and when did they start making good covers again. Be honest here, because I see Brunswick has gone back to some of their old covers (PK17, Actvator Plus, etc.) and I don't want to spend $200 on a ball and end up with another Wild Ride or Ulra Zone.


I wouldnt worry too much, if you post your delivery specs and even a video, I think the folks here can make sure you're matched up with a ball that will work for you.

Many success stories here working with Mo, right guys?

-Eric

_________________
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:11 am Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: November 2, 2010
Posts: 13
I am new to this, so I didn't realize there were some other responses before I posted my last message. Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the Wild Ride. As I had stated also, I had the same problems with the Ultra Zone. Was that a problem ball also? Also, thanks for letting me know that the super coves started with the Craze. Another question I have is, do you and Brunswick use the same cover formula's and if so, who developes them (or is it a joint effert). I suspect it is the same with Ebonite and all of there satellite companies.
Mo Pinel wrote:
gdog812 wrote:
I am not impressed with recent Brunswick covers (wild ride in particular). So, now I am leary to even buy from big "B" or for that matter Morich (made by big "B"). I would like to purchase some new equipment from both big "B" and Morich. Are they making better covers now?


The covers both of us are using are on the cutting edge of the industry. We are way ahead of what you saw on the Wild Ride. MoRich's new "super" covers started with the Craze. Look at the videos of Jack Jurek throwing our balls in the videos on the home page of http://www.morichbowling.com. I didn't like the Wild Ride, either.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:20 am Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: January 22, 2010
Posts: 187
I have good variety of Brunswick and Morich balls in my bag. No issues with the covers IMO. It seems fairly common to see older covers in the lower price points and some mid level balls. At $200, you'll get the latest and greatest cover.

The ultra zone was a great ball for me, dull, polished and everything surface in between. In fact that ball, then the Twisted Fury started me down the Brunswick path.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:04 am Post Number: #10 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 141
My take on subjects like this. Usually companies don't exactly produce 'dud' balls. Usually they all have a purpose and if drilled for the right reason will achieve desired reaction.

With that being said, yes there are balls that are not as successful or as well-liked by the masses.

In my opinion it is your pro-shops responsibility to learn about the equipment, recommend a good ball for what you are looking for and lay it out to achieve a desired reaction. Maybe some of your past misfortunes can be from less than ideal ball choice for desired reaction and layout issues (pro-shop's area, not ball company).

Here's an idea. Scroll down to Ball & Layout Advice, post your delivery specs, what you bowl on for lanes/oil and what you want out of a bowling ball. Let them recommend you a ball and layout, you will probably like what you get.

Good luck :)

_________________
PAP : 5 3/4" by 1/2"
Ball Speed: 17 mph (lane average foul -> headpin)
Rev Rate: 405
Tilt: 17 degrees
Rotation: 60 degrees


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:33 am Post Number: #11 Post
Offline
Trusted Source
User avatar

Joined: January 18, 2010
Posts: 2891
Location: Hazard, KY
I would almost be willing to put money down that you WILL get what you're looking for if you post your stats, conditions you bowl on and desired motion in the Layout & Advice forum.

Slap wrote:
I have good variety of Brunswick and Morich balls in my bag. No issues with the covers IMO. It seems fairly common to see older covers in the lower price points and some mid level balls. At $200, you'll get the latest and greatest cover.

The ultra zone was a great ball for me, dull, polished and everything surface in between. In fact that ball, then the Twisted Fury started me down the Brunswick path.


I've loved Brunswick since I bought my Twisted Fury, also! The fact the Morich has Big B pouring for them is a HUGE plus in my book! I have 3 Big B balls and 3 Morich balls and LOVE the reaction I'm getting from all of them! I was gonna have Morich for asyms and Big B for syms, but if Morich continues to produce syms, that plan may have to get the boot... unless I start bowling Regionals. Not likely to happen anytime soon, so nothing to worry about at this point. :)

_________________
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:45 am Post Number: #12 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
BlakMagic wrote:
My take on subjects like this. Usually companies don't exactly produce 'dud' balls. Usually they all have a purpose and if drilled for the right reason will achieve desired reaction.

With that being said, yes there are balls that are not as successful or as well-liked by the masses.

In my opinion it is your pro-shops responsibility to learn about the equipment, recommend a good ball for what you are looking for and lay it out to achieve a desired reaction. Maybe some of your past misfortunes can be from less than ideal ball choice for desired reaction and layout issues (pro-shop's area, not ball company).

Here's an idea. Scroll down to Ball & Layout Advice, post your delivery specs, what you bowl on for lanes/oil and what you want out of a bowling ball. Let them recommend you a ball and layout, you will probably like what you get.

Good luck :)


Thanks for the confidence. That's our goal.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:29 pm Post Number: #13 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: August 1, 2010
Posts: 1440
Location: Florence, Ky
Confirming evidence,
Recently crossed lanes with a young man, high revrate but speed matched.
Didn't the reaction of his Craze.
Didn't need a Pro sect to realize why low tilt and rotation.
Met him at the pro shop with the ball,
35* x 4 1/2" x 35*?????
12* tilt & 40* rotation
Plugged and redrilled
70* x 2.5: X 30*
He now loves the ball!!!!!

Jim

_________________
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"


Last edited by JMerrell on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:44 pm Post Number: #14 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
This comment my made in this thread: The reason I bring this up, is because I heard Brunswick had some big flops with the covers (which would mean the same for Morich).

My answer is: NOT NECESSARILY! We, at MoRich do use some production Brunswick covers, like PK17. The other covers we are using are based on the polymers provided by Brunswick, but formulation adjustments are made to provide MoRich with the coverstock of our choice, so we can exactly match them to our cores to provide the best ball motion possible. This means that our other covers are unique to MoRich.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:55 pm Post Number: #15 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: November 2, 2010
Posts: 13
Thanks!

Mo Pinel wrote:
This comment my made in this thread: The reason I bring this up, is because I heard Brunswick had some big flops with the covers (which would mean the same for Morich).

My answer is: NOT NECESSARILY! We, at MoRich do use some production Brunswick covers, like PK17. The other covers we are using are based on the polymers provided by Brunswick, but formulation adjustments are made to provide MoRich with the coverstock of our choice, so we can exactly match them to our cores to provide the best ball motion possible. This means that our other covers are unique to MoRich.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:03 pm Post Number: #16 Post
Offline
Trusted Source
User avatar

Joined: January 18, 2010
Posts: 2891
Location: Hazard, KY
JMerrell wrote:
Confirming evidence,
Recently crossed lanes with a young man, high revrate but speed matched.
Didn't the reaction of his Craze.
Didn't need a Pro sect to realize why low tilt and rotation.
Met him at the pro shop with the ball,
35* x 4 1/2" x 35*?????
12* tilt & 40* rotation
Plugged and redrilled
70* x 2.5: X 30*
He now loves the ball!!!!!

Jim


Is this the guy you were telling me about a couple weeks ago? I remember you saying he wasn't getting anything out of the ball. I'm glad you managed to help him out.

_________________
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:35 pm Post Number: #17 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: June 25, 2009
Posts: 260
Location: Wenona, IL
Just throwing it out there, i've only had experience with the newer MoRich and Big B stuff and have nothing negative to say about any of them, they have all performed very well and done at least as much if not more than expected and durability is without a doubt a non factor.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:33 am Post Number: #18 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: November 3, 2010
Posts: 9
For what's its worth the last balls that I have purchased were the mania ( great ball ) c system 4.5 ( great ball ) rip/r ( best morich I've thrown to date ) now a friend and I have identical specs for fitting and he has the new Wicked siege and damage which are a fantastic one two punch . I don't think you can go wrong either way . Good luck picking something new lots of great stuff to choose from .


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 am Post Number: #19 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: January 28, 2010
Posts: 10
Location: Berkeley Springs, WV
The wild ride, and the ultra zone may not have been the correct match for you. I own both of them, and they are two of my favorite Brunswicks. It could be the wrong layout as well. Many people claim that a ball is a flop, and the layout could be incorrect for you to begin with. As posted earlier..... If you provide the experts on this site with your delivery stats, they can point you in the direction you are looking to go!

_________________
Get MOTIVated!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls
 Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:45 pm Post Number: #20 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: November 2, 2010
Posts: 13
Basically what I am saying they don't live up to their hype. Although MO has already answered most of which I was looking for, I will add just for you that for example the Wild Ride was suppose to be a big mover off the oil, and it wasn't. Also with that being said it's drive into the pocket was very mild to say the least (also, per bowlingball.com it had a perfect scale number over 200 and I wouldn't even rate it a 150. But Brunswick rated it high also as I recall). I had better movement and drive into the pocket with my Pearl Avalanche (drilled with the pin above the ring finger - 6 1/4" from my PAP) (love that ball). Also, I was not impressed with the Ultra Zone (although I would rate it better than the Wild Ride). But here again, I had better movement and drive into the pocket with my Pearl Avalanche (did I say yet that I really love that ball). Anyway, I use my Pearl Avalanche for the THS, but I need something for oiler conditions and after the trying the Wild Ride and the Ultra Zone, and being disappointed, I was leary as what to buy (just a note here, I am not a spring chicken either. I am 57 going on 58 and I finally had to bite the bullet and move down to 14lbs, so therefore I have to get a whole new arsenal).
Revkiller wrote:
gdog812 wrote:
I am not impressed with recent Brunswick covers (wild ride in particular). So, now I am leary to even buy from big "B" or for that matter Morich (made by big "B"). I would like to purchase some new equipment from both big "B" and Morich. Are they making better covers now?


Covers come in various strengths or configurations, when you say you are not impressed what exactly do you mean?


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General Forums » Ball Talk


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: