Ball selection for Rev dominant or Speed dominant bowlers

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Supernova
Medium Oil Ball: Rotorgrip Idol Cosmos
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out
Preferred Company: Storm

Ball selection for Rev dominant or Speed dominant bowlers

Post by skfboiler »

Based on RG and Differential numbers, is there a general rule of thumb for picking a bowling ball on whether the bowler is rev dominant, speed dominant, or matched?

My ball speed is 13-14 rpm. My revs are medium I would say. Low to medium tilt and low to medium axis rotation.
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Re: Ball selection for Rev dominant or Speed dominant bowler

Post by TheJesus »

I wouldn't worry too much about Differential, but in general a speed dominant player would probably need less RG. Of course it depends on what conditions you usually play on.

You have pretty low speed. I am not sure about what you mean by "medium revs" as the range is rather large. Perhaps if you have a video it would help. Or if you see a video from somebody else and you can tell you have pretty much the same revs.

If indeed you have some revs in the middle of the range, then i would say you are rev dominant. So with that low speed and good revs, a low RG ball would probably lose energy too quickly for you. Maybe better go for high RG.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Supernova
Medium Oil Ball: Rotorgrip Idol Cosmos
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by skfboiler »

For my ball speed, I was also thinking a higher RG ball would work. I did get the Roto Grip HyperCell Fused with an RG of 2.52. Seems to be a very good fit for me, at least on the burned up open bowling outings. I will try it out on the fresh oil lanes this weekend during league.
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

IMO, the coverstock chemistry is the most important factor in matching a ball to a bowler and lane condition. Second IMO is the diff., and third IMO is the value of the PSA.
If you nail the cover, the rest is gravy.

RG of the PAP (the only RG value relevant to ball motion) is the result of the layout and drilled holes. The value is more or less relative, rather than absolute, for a given ball design. It is not measurable in a typical proshop.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º