Alias concept and MB position for other balls

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Re: Alias concept and MB position for other balls

Post by jdrsuper »

EricHartwell wrote:
How much flare are you getting with the Symmetrical drilling?
Eric,
I can't give you an answer as I don't look for the flare rings on the ball after the shot and immediately wipe the ball with my microfiber towel after each shot.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

jdrsuper wrote: Eric,
I can't give you an answer as I don't look for the flare rings on the ball after the shot and immediately wipe the ball with my microfiber towel after each shot.
Next time you bowl with it I would really appreciate it if you could take note of it before you wipe it off and let me know.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
jdrsuper

Post by jdrsuper »

EricHartwell wrote: Next time you bowl with it I would really appreciate it if you could take note of it before you wipe it off and let me know.
Eric,

Will do, it won't be this weekend because this is the only house that doesn't put out an ABT sport shot but a reverse block which i use urethane on. As soon as I run into a reasonably oiled pattern I'll let you know.
Joel Resnick

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
jdrsuper

Post by jdrsuper »

jdrsuper wrote: Eric,

Will do, it won't be this weekend because this is the only house that doesn't put out an ABT sport shot but a reverse block which i use urethane on. As soon as I run into a reasonably oiled pattern I'll let you know.
Eric,
I bowled with the Alias this weekend and from what I saw the flare rings started about 1 1/4 inches from my thumb hole. there seemed to be only three rings and they were about only 1/4 inch apart. I would estimate that total flare is probably between 1 to 2 inches. Hope this helps. One thing that has always confused me is that supposedly higher flaring balls hook more compared to lower flaring balls. I always generate a lot of hook and whether I'm using a higher flaring ball compared to a lower flaring one I get the same amount of hook on the same conditions. I would assume that the way I release a ball is the main factor in how much hook I get. Am I right in my supposition. Thanks as always for you help.
Joel Resnick

EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

jdrsuper wrote:
Eric,
I bowled with the Alias this weekend and from what I saw the flare rings started about 1 1/4 inches from my thumb hole. there seemed to be only three rings and they were about only 1/4 inch apart. I would estimate that total flare is probably between 1 to 2 inches. Hope this helps. One thing that has always confused me is that supposedly higher flaring balls hook more compared to lower flaring balls. I always generate a lot of hook and whether I'm using a higher flaring ball compared to a lower flaring one I get the same amount of hook on the same conditions. I would assume that the way I release a ball is the main factor in how much hook I get. Am I right in my supposition. Thanks as always for you help.
Thanks for the flare update. I figured with the longer pin to PAP the flare would be reduced.

As for your supposition about the amount of hook you are getting, your release plays a huge part in it. Slower ball speed coupled with your higher rotation will allow most any ball to hook for you regardless of the amount of flare.
The coverstock is a dominate factor in your reactions.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
The Kid

Post by The Kid »

I haven't drilled one up, but I don't see any problem with designing the core to allow a truly post-drill symmetrical. I don't think there's a particular benefit, but I think it's fine.

Pin-on-PAP balls still get into a roll. They'll still hit.
PowerFluffer
THS Average: 224
Positive Axis Point: 4.25"Right, .5"Up
Speed: 15mph on the monitor
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15*
Axis Rotation: 45*
Heavy Oil Ball: Ebonite Verdict.
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox Trilogy, Hammer Gauntlet.
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Black Urethane, Columbia Jazz.
Preferred Company: Ebonite Unternational

Post by PowerFluffer »

I thought i would chime in on this post, albeit a little late. I just drilled my Alias this morning with the symmetrical layout. Mine was a 15lb, 2oz top weight with a 1.5" pin. My dual angle numbers were -25 x 4.0 x 45. I had to shift my grip-line ever so slightly to line up the pin in the center of my ring finger. I drilled that hole 3.5" deep. When I dodo'd the ball it ended up with 3/4oz side and 1/2oz finger. Didn't measure the top-weight because I thought it unnecessary.

I threw the ball for one game on a broken-down 48' Eiffel Tower pattern. This ball consistently flared 4 to 4.5". The flare rings were 1/4 to 3/8" apart. I was pleased with the overall reaction; controllable arc with a good drive at the end of the pattern, it went through the pins strong. I'm sure the surface has a lot to do with that! :D

I am on my way tomorrow morning to Brentwood CA for the PBA50 National. Maybe it will be a good ball for the 40' Don Johnson pattern!

PAP: 4.25" right and .5" up
14.85-15.1mph on the monitor
300rpm
45* Axis rotation
15* Axis tilt
Track Advisory Staff
SS PBA Member; Northwest Region