Morich Mayhem COMPLETELY backing up downlane! Help!

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

bowler100

Morich Mayhem COMPLETELY backing up downlane! Help!

Post by bowler100 »

I actually posted a similar post on ballreviews.com about my problems with this ball. I have thrown a WMB, Labyrinth, Colossus, Colossus Supreme, Awesome Revs, and a Levrg while never had a problem with ball reaction with any of these balls. The Mayhem is completely backing up down lane on a heavier volume house shot with flying backends. When I decided to polish it, it seemed to skid even more. The only time I have seen any hook out of it is when I inadvertently over-rotated my hand at the bottom. I will say that the ball has been plugged three times with all three plugs ending up in my track. Does Mo Pinel ever check this section of the forum? I really would like to understand why a 375-425 RPM bowler like myself sees tremendous hook out of my other Morich balls but see absolutely none out of the Mayhem. WTF!
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: Morich Mayhem COMPLETELY backing up downlane! Help!

Post by snick »

It's because you have all three plugs in the track. Plug doesn't build traction, and if they are high or low plugs, (not perfectly formed and finished) the ball may be losing contact with the lane when it rolls over them.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
bowler100

Post by bowler100 »

snick wrote:It's because you have all three plugs in the track. Plug doesn't build traction, and if they are high or low plugs, (not perfectly formed and finished) the ball may be losing contact with the lane when it rolls over them.
The plugs of the fingers are bunched together and slightly raised. Just that slight elevation in surface is causing it back up? I have a pin down layout with the pin about 5.5 " from my PAP. Essentially the pin is near my track with the finger plugs being located at about 1 3/4 " diagonally downward (to the left) from the pin. So the solution is to do another layout with the pin MUCH closer to my PAP to avoid the plugs altogether, right? I really want to make the ball work if possible. Thanks.
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

I would start by properly finishing the plugged areas, then lay out the ball so that the track misses the plugs. FYI, Abralon pads do NOT do a very good job on ball plug. Progressive grit CAB sanding inserts (120/180/320) will sand the plug flush with the ball without creating flat spots or dished gripping holes.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Does Mo Pinel ever check this section of the forum?
I don't know if he ever checks in, but it's been a LONG time since he's participated. There are, however, several posters that have learned from Mo during the days he was a regular here. They are quite knowledgeable and willing to help. I think Mo has a Facebook page (correct me if I'm wrong), you may be able to get a response from him there. -- JohnP
bowler100

Post by bowler100 »

snick wrote:I would start by properly finishing the plugged areas, then lay out the ball so that the track misses the plugs. FYI, Abralon pads do NOT do a very good job on ball plug. Progressive grit CAB sanding inserts (120/180/320) will sand the plug flush with the ball without creating flat spots or dished gripping holes.
I resurfaced the ball with a green scotch brite pad and smoothed out the plug. I will try it out again on my heavily oiled house shot. If that does not help than I will do a straight plug and redrill.
bowler100

Post by bowler100 »

Thanks for the help, snick! The Mayhem now has its characteristic super early and heavy roll. The plug is pretty close to flush with the rest of the ball. Would a plug and redrill even make a difference at this point?
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

If you're happy with the reaction you have now I wouldn't plug & redrill it. However, I would sand the plug smooth with the surface. Even if it just sticks up a little bit it might create chips or cracks. -- JohnP