Board index » General Forums » Ball Talk

Post subject: Re: Nord's Full Roller Thread
 Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:58 pm Post Number: #21 Post
BCU Graduate Layouts

Reputation Power: 3
Hitchhiker42 wrote:
Telling me that because I am just coming back, and since my so far average is only 150ish I should just drill my ball so it rolls is condescending. I want new equipment that will help me realize my full potential.

Yeah, I just watched that video. I am not in agreement with Mr, Shockley. Just because someone has issues hitting there mark doesn't mean they cannot recognize ball motion and want to have choices in the bag to have different ball motions to use at different times. With proper layouts the margin for error will increase and so will the scores. A proper layout will help the ball get into a roll. I made a comment about getting the ball to roll when you asked about how do you know if the driller did his job correctly. Getting the ball to roll is the major part of getting layouts correct. Getting the ball to roll at the proper time will raise your strike percentage. Again this is a function of the layout. getting the surface correct to match you up to your bowling environment is also very important. A good Proshop operator will also recommend ball surfaces for you to help you fine tune your ball motion.

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
15 mph off hand

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 am Post Number: #22 Post

Reputation Power: 1
Quote:
Hitchhiker42
She. I'm a she, LOL :)

Whoops!!! Sorrrrrrryyyyyyy!!! :shock:

Quote:
JohnP
Hitch -- Until you can learn more about layouts and ball choices you're going to have to rely on your ball driller a lot. From reading the previous posts it sounds like you've found a good one. First, make sure he watches you bowl at least one game and he locates your PAP (Positive Axis Point) for use in laying the ball out. Then discuss your limitations from the injuries and how serious you are about bowling. See if he recommends a conventional or fingertip grip... When you pick the ball up ask the driller to watch you throw a game or two with it to be sure your release is clean and nothing is hurting your hand. Finally, ask him if he provides coaching and if not if he can recommend a coach for you. -- JohnP

This is super advice. Please take it to heart.

Rev rate: 150
Ball speed: 10.5 mph at the Pin Deck
Composite Average: 175
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball.
High Series: 630 bowled with Black Widow Urethane.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:21 pm Post Number: #23 Post
Trusted Source

Hitchhiker42 wrote:
JonhP, thank you.

I received a Nitrous yesterday, 11# and I'm going today to pick up my Black Widow Urethane 12# and have them both drilled.

I am going to keep an open mind and hope that Dave is going to look at my game and help me out. All totaled, with the three balls, I will have spent over $400 with drilling on the Tzone, Nitrous and Widow. My 16 year old son wants to bowl league with me and maybe a youth team so if these don't work for me, they might work for him.

If Dave doesn't offer to watch you roll a game or two then ask him to watch you, be sure to throw about the same number of shots with each ball. If he doesn't have the time when you pick it up make an appointment at a later time. -- JohnP

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:39 pm Post Number: #24 Post

Oh, you didn't offend.
It's sometimes hard to hear that unless I'm REALLY good, that I should not be concerned about how balls are laid out. Maybe that's completely true.

But...I have found that having a good piece of equipment when you first begin something, be it playing an instrument, playing a sport, learning a new art or craft, will allow you to be more successful faster and thus make you want to keep doing it. Playing a crap guitar that cannot stay in tune and crap strings that hurt your fingers more than they need to will make you stop playing. And you'll not think it's the crap guitar, you're more likely to think you don't have an aptitude for it.

I want the best I can afford, drilled the best for me and the way I bowl. Then I will know it's my ability that isn't up to par, not the equipment holding me back.

My opinion. On this, I am not wrong.
:)

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:52 pm Post Number: #25 Post

Hitchhiker42 wrote:
Oh, you didn't offend.
It's sometimes hard to hear that unless I'm REALLY good, that I should not be concerned about how balls are laid out. Maybe that's completely true.

But...I have found that having a good piece of equipment when you first begin something, be it playing an instrument, playing a sport, learning a new art or craft, will allow you to be more successful faster and thus make you want to keep doing it. Playing a crap guitar that cannot stay in tune and crap strings that hurt your fingers more than they need to will make you stop playing. And you'll not think it's the crap guitar, you're more likely to think you don't have an aptitude for it.

I want the best I can afford, drilled the best for me and the way I bowl. Then I will know it's my ability that isn't up to par, not the equipment holding me back.

My opinion. On this, I am not wrong.
:)

You should be very concerned about getting a proper fit that allows you to hold the ball with no pain or stress either immediately, or over the long term.
When I first started I had horrible drilling and suffered so much pain that I thought I would need to quit the game.
I could only use a 12lb ball and even that caused lots of pain.
Finally I made contact with Ron Machniak of Precision Bowling who I found on this forum.
He worked with me via email, had me take precise measurements and photos of my hand and fingers and give him my current ball measurements.
He created a layout that was way different from what I had.
I got a local pro to drill a ball with those specs. Pain was gone and in a short time I was up to using a 15lb ball!
For me what was needed, due to my unique way of holding the ball, was lots of forward pitch in all the holes.
Additionally, Like Norm Duke, I use cork in the front of the thumb hole.
This really was the final great thing that allowed me the hold the ball without squeezing.
So, I recommend a proper drilling with forward pitch to help you hold the ball without stress and if you are using a thumbslug you will need something in the front of the thumbhole to allow you to hold on without gripping as thumbslugs are slippery and need either grip tape or cork.
A ball without a thumbslug has some natural texture that provides some grip.
But gripping tape or cork are highly recommend.

Rev rate: 150
Ball speed: 10.5 mph at the Pin Deck
Composite Average: 175
High Game: 259 bowled with Billy Hardwick rubber ball.
High Series: 630 bowled with Black Widow Urethane.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:25 pm Post Number: #26 Post
Trusted Source

Quote:

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't be concerned about the layouts you use, just that until you learn more about them you'll have to rely on your driller. Even some of the pro's do that. If you haven't found the Bowling Chat WIKI yet click the radio button at the top right hand side of every page. You'll find enough information there to keep you busy for a long time and it will be very helpful. -- JohnP

Board index » General Forums » Ball Talk