Sandpaper Question

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Sandpaper Question

Post by pjape »

The cheapskate that I am, I'd rather buy sandpaper where I work (True Value) than buy Abralon or Siaair. i will buy wet/dry sandpaper that's Gator brand. For example, the one has on the back "P1500." That tells me it's Fepa and not Ansi, which is how Abralon and Siaair are measured.

My question is, has anyone done any testing too see just how close they are to each other? It would be interesting to do a ball with 1,000 grit Siaair and measure it on the Jayhawk, and then do another ball with 1,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and see how close they are.

What I like in addition to the price, is how I can cut one sheet in fourths and use a new piece for each quarter of the ball. Doing it this way, I'm able to do five balls for only $1.85. Plus, the available grits are 120/150/180/220/320/400/600/1000/1200/1500/2000/2500. Hmm, I wonder what kind of ball reaction I'd get with 120 grit? :lol:
Mikepetrosky
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 right, 1/4 up
Speed: 18.5 at the line
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: DV8 Ruckus Feud
Medium Oil Ball: RotoGrip Uproar, Columbia Resurgence, Brunswick Exile
Light Oil Ball: RotoGrip Scream
Preferred Company: Rotogrip, Storm, DV8

Re: Sandpaper Question

Post by Mikepetrosky »

Check the Wiki link up top, and look for info on covers. there is an awesome coversion chart already done for ya!
pjape

Post by pjape »

Mikepetrosky wrote:Check the Wiki link up top, and look for info on covers. there is an awesome coversion chart already done for ya!
I already did that Mike. I just wonder if anyone ever did any testing to see if they truly are the same. For example, my used 500 grit Siaair pad feels rougher to the touch than a piece of fresh 400 grit sandpaper. But that's not very scientific. The Jayhawk ball scanner is. I sure wish my proshop had one of these ball scanners; then I'd do the testing myself!
Mikepetrosky

Post by Mikepetrosky »

agreed, the "feel" test is not that accurate. :D

Dunno, I don't think anyone very local has a Jayhawk scanner. Maybe Bowler's supply in York?
pjape

Post by pjape »

Mikepetrosky wrote:agreed, the "feel" test is not that accurate. :D

Dunno, I don't think anyone very local has a Jayhawk scanner. Maybe Bowler's supply in York?
I asked Eric M. this afternoon Mike, but he said they're not worth the price ($1,295.00) as often as it would get used.
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

If you have a CAB block (curved plastic sanding block with velcro hooks), you can use a damp microfiber towel between the CAB and sandpaper to get an abralon type finish on the ball with no flat spots. I do it all the time for cutting plug and smoothing the surface using high grade (plastic coated paper) 150, 180, 320 grit wet dry sandpaper from the paint store. This stuff lasts longer than the pads do.

Never compared the surface with that of abralon pads, but the 320 grit is a decent and repeatable bowling surface for aggressive ball motion, similar to a new Sia 500 pad.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
RobatJOEST

Post by RobatJOEST »

Guys,

There is a very reasonable alternative to both Sia and mirka. Joest abrasives from Germany has began distributing a very similar line though my company, Abrasive Ideas international. Please look at my webpage at http://www.abrasive-ideas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click on either Sg,SG2 or Sg3 for product info. The Sg (supergrit) line is exactly what all of you are talking about at a very attractive price. Test sets are available for purchase.

Happy sanding,
Rob
Mikepetrosky

Post by Mikepetrosky »

Yeah, I figured they were about that much, or even more. Unless you are doing research into ball surfacing, not really worth it.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15

Post by ads »

snick wrote:If you have a CAB block (curved plastic sanding block with velcro hooks), you can use a damp microfiber towel between the CAB and sandpaper to get an abralon type finish on the ball with no flat spots. I do it all the time for cutting plug and smoothing the surface using high grade (plastic coated paper) 150, 180, 320 grit wet dry sandpaper from the paint store. This stuff lasts longer than the pads do.

Never compared the surface with that of abralon pads, but the 320 grit is a decent and repeatable bowling surface for aggressive ball motion, similar to a new Sia 500 pad.
Hi Snick,

Are you referring to those ordinary sand paper?

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Sandpaper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

The sandpaper I use is bright red with a plastic backing. It's sold by Dunn-edwards paint store.
I like this stuff because the backing does not breakdown as quickly as ordinary wet-dry sandpaper.

Another sandpaper I've started using is sold by Classic Products. It's plastic-backed and daisy cut with vecro to fit on a CAB block. So far it seems to last fairly well, and it cuts the ball surface without dishing the gripping holes and labels.
The only problem I've had with this product is the velcro layer delaminating after a week or so.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º