Storm Arsenal Suggestions Please

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

802dave
Preferred Company: Storm

Storm Arsenal Suggestions Please

Post by 802dave »

Just getting back into bowling after a 2 year layoff.

I've been practicing at a house with what people describe as a sport shot; lots of guys that like to bounce it off the dry are struggling - out of about 20 guys bowling pot games, their highest score the first game was a 215.

I play straighter than most, but have played inside when the pattern tells me to.

I'm using a Hy-Road, pin above ring right now (been back about a month). I've talked to my pro shop guy and we need to look at my PAP next Saturday. I asked him about the Torrent and a Match (was trying to find something close to the old Tropical Heat Hybrid). He thought the Torrent might be good, but said I should also look at the Phase II.

The Hy-Road I'm using, standing about 10-12, looking 5-6. And when I slide properly (working on that!), the Hy-Road makes a nice backend move. I'm just gathering info at this point as I need to get my physical game back 1st! Thanks for any suggestions!
mrbean
THS Average: 150
Speed: 12-14 mph camera
Heavy Oil Ball: kingpin, awesome finish, grind, crank, super carbide bomb,
Medium Oil Ball: soniq, grind/r, primal rage remix
Light Oil Ball: anything that works
Preferred Company: lane #1

Re: Storm Arsenal Suggestions Please

Post by mrbean »

i'm no expert but if you need a great heavy oil ball try to find an alpha crux. although if you don't want asymmetric a phaze 2 would be good (i had a phaze 1 and it was great)
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe
psycaz

Post by psycaz »

Maybe check in your area to see if anyone has a Storm demo coming up. Great way to test multiple balls cheap.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

A very very good Storm ball for sport patterns is the IQ Tour Solid, that and the Hy-Road make an excellent combo. Before drilling any other balls here's my advice:

1) Find out what your specs are: speed (monitor or off the hand), RPMs, axis tilt, axis rotation and PAP. Your pro shop should be able to help with this, if not I will guide you on how to do it yourself.

2) Try to find out the name and/or length, volume and ratio of the patterns your sport league plays.

3) Find out what material the lanes are made of and how old are they.

Report back with this data and we will be able to more accurately recommend balls and layouts to go along with them.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

802dave wrote:Just getting back into bowling after a 2 year layoff.

I've been practicing at a house with what people describe as a sport shot; lots of guys that like to bounce it off the dry are struggling - out of about 20 guys bowling pot games, their highest score the first game was a 215.

I play straighter than most, but have played inside when the pattern tells me to.

I'm using a Hy-Road, pin above ring right now (been back about a month). I've talked to my pro shop guy and we need to look at my PAP next Saturday. I asked him about the Torrent and a Match (was trying to find something close to the old Tropical Heat Hybrid). He thought the Torrent might be good, but said I should also look at the Phase II.

The Hy-Road I'm using, standing about 10-12, looking 5-6. And when I slide properly (working on that!), the Hy-Road makes a nice backend move. I'm just gathering info at this point as I need to get my physical game back 1st! Thanks for any suggestions!
Welcome back to the game.

There is more to your release than just your PAP. Finding your PAP is just the start. From there you should be able to find your Tilt, Rotation, Rev rate and your ball speed off your hand
Check out this link to determine your release specs.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All of this information helps determine layouts for new balls you add to your arsenal. It can also give you feedback as to how your physical game is progressing by periodically checking them.

As far as a new ball to be as close to the Tropical Heat the Match Up would be as close as you can get today. It has the same coverstock. The Torrent and Phase II will be as strong or stronger than the HyRoad.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
mrbean
THS Average: 150
Speed: 12-14 mph camera
Heavy Oil Ball: kingpin, awesome finish, grind, crank, super carbide bomb,
Medium Oil Ball: soniq, grind/r, primal rage remix
Light Oil Ball: anything that works
Preferred Company: lane #1

Post by mrbean »

if you can wait the storm intense looks pretty good
or the match up hybrid
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

The Torrent ball is too simular to the hy-road. The hy-road rocketship (belmonte ball which I have and don't know the name off hand) and I think the IQ tour solid are very simular. I would suggest the storm match drilled with low flare like what I have. I had to use it the past few weeks becase of the extreme backends that we have. I believe it just depends on what your lanes are doing though. If you don't have backends as it is, I wouldn't recommend that. My storm rocketship drilled for control would snap so hard off the pattern at the breakpoint it would hit high. ( This is with the ball going 18-18.5 mph off the hand and around 300 revs). I personally don't like how the match rolls the way I have it drilled. If I am correct there is a 40 angle in there somewhere. But it is effective in killing the backend reaction.

For a sport pattern, you need something like the IQ tour / Hy-road (control), Then something if the control ball is jumping too much in the backend. Even if you don't get a match, you might want something drilled for less backend reaction (if you experience too much of it). I would recommend the match for medium/lighter oil but not a dry lane. Also you might consider a Fanatic BTU if it is too much backend.

I had to go back and read what you wrote. Playing 5 or 6 board means it might be a short pattern or there isn't many revs involved. I personally couldn't use the hy-road in that area because that area is too dry. I wouldn't recommend getting a heavy oil ball playing that area for sure. I am not sure what to recommend here. If your using a hy-road playing 5 or 6 board and it starts over reacting then I would recommend a storm match low flare or a BTU. But there is so much room to move left if you start there. But that dry area is going to burn up quick so you can't stay there all day.

Just read about the Match Up solid. According to bowlingball.com, "The Match Up Solid is basically the Match Solid on steroids. Reactor Solid coverstock, finished at 1500 grit polished, is still the cover of choice on the Match Up Solid. The main difference is the modification of the core. The new Stinger 2.0 symmetric core uses the basis of the original core but increases the RG and differential. This will create more length and a sharper and stronger backend hoo" If the backend reaction of the hyroad is too much then that sounds like it might not work because it is sharper and stronger backend reaction. If you need that reaction then that sounds like a nice ball.

Here is my take: The storm match low flare layout is the ball I start with first to play as right of the target as I can. Then my next ball is hy-road/rocketship drilled control. I have to play 2-3 boards left with that ball then I do the match most times because of the backend reaction. I could be wrong but I think the storm match up drilled normal would give me close to the same reaction as the rocketship. It might go a bit longer with a little more angular backend and change the shape of the curve.

But if you only have that hy-road, you might want a heavy oil ball too if you ever have to switch patterns or have to play deeper. For example I bowl tonight 8/10 people are going to bowl right in the track area. The other 2 people will be high speed 19-20 mph 350rpm or so bowlers throwing the ball 12-13 out to 10. I am going to have to go around them at some point and probably go over 15. I practiced Sunday after a league bowled 245 first game, 2nd game I moved left several times and I got the rocketship to the breakpoint (10 instead of 8) and it wouldn't quite make it to the pocket ended up with 152 or so (2 missed 10 pins with excessive oil on the plastic ball) . I balled up to a guru supreme mainting the same line and the ball flipped over at the breakpoint and went into the pocket really nicely and 236.

So I don't know how many balls you have or what kind. I might be wrong but all I think we were told was that you have a hy-road and throw it down 5 and get a good reaction. The first normal question would be "If the reaction is good then why are you asking about another ball?" What is going on with that ball that makes you want another?