Sanding ball question

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

lilstone87

Sanding ball question

Post by lilstone87 »

Hello i have a question regarding the direction of sanding a ball. I come across a article about sanding with, and against your ball's initial track, and how it will make the ball read the lane. I understand the article pretty well, however there's one thing i'm having trouble with. If you're to sand against the initial ball track, how do you go about this, if you're sanding 4 or 6 sides of the ball? Do you just make the last two steps of sanding the ball against your ball track? Because to me you're ultimately cross sanding the ball if you do that.

So i wanted to ask here on how you go about sanding the ball. When you want to sand with, or against the initial ball track. Also including sanding the bow tie of your track. In these cases do you just sand two sides of the ball? Or is there a way to go about this type of sanding pattern? I know this may come off as a bit of an odd question... I just know it confused me a bit after the article I read.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Sanding ball question

Post by bowl1820 »

lilstone87 wrote:Hello i have a question regarding the direction of sanding a ball. I come across a article about sanding with, and against your ball's initial track, and how it will make the ball read the lane.
Yes most likely this or similar article:

Pros Corner Resurfacing Tips:
"What's the most important factor in ball reaction? Ball Surface, of course."
http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Cor ... acing.html

While the orientation of the sanding lines can have some impact on how the ball reads the lane, it's kind of a nitpicky adjustment anymore.
Do you just make the last two steps of sanding the ball against your ball track?
Basically yes,

You sit your ball in the cup so the initial track is straight up and down. That way when the ball is spinning your sanding lines are at a ninety degree angle to it.

The cross hatch is the only one you are kind of doing 4 sides, you do the first 2 side, turn the ball 90 degrees and do the next 2 side kind of lightly. So you don't remove all of the ones below.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
lilstone87

Post by lilstone87 »

Yes that's the article i ran across, I appreciate the reply. I just know when reading a article like that, and knowing most people sand four sides of the ball, while a few people even do six sides. It was a bit tricky in understanding, the proper way to sand with, or against the initial ball track, if you're to sand the ball on more then two sides.

So I appreciate the reply, as i wanted others opinion on this, and not just go off of whatever i was thinking. Because as you see in the article itself.. it doesn't really go into detail on how to go about sanding the ball like that. Again i don't know if it really matters as much on these newer ball's now, but I will for sure mess around with some ball's. As it did make me a bit curious when reading that article.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

If I wanted to have the sanding done in a specific direction, that's all I would do - just the one direction. You're not doing a resurfacing, just a performance sand. -- JohnP
lilstone87

Post by lilstone87 »

John,

That's what I was thinking as well. I have two leagues to bowl this week, one of them is a practice league. So I plan to play with sanding against, and with the initial ball track. Then see if it makes any difference in the way the ball reads the lane. Ultimate I expect the grit the ball is sanded with to be the main reason for how the ball acts, but it would be nice to know if sanding the ball a certain way will make it read the lane a bit earlier, or later as well.

To tell the truth up until a month, or so ago. I was strictly a one hand no thumb bowler, however I have a bad wrist, and I think long term it's in my best interest to use my thumb in the ball. So I'm taking my summer leagues to practice switching over to using a thumb in the ball. I know this is a bit off the topic at hand. But ultimately I'm taking the summer to tinker with my game, and also messing with my balls a bit, as I have my own ball spinner to use at home. Honestly besides getting my ball's drilled by my local proshop, I do all my ball maintenance at home, including draining them of oil every month/month, and a half.

I plan to start another thread on here as well, because I'm bowling a ball league over the summer, and getting two new balls before fall leagues start. So I want to get some opinions on a ball layout for me, as the way most of my current ones are drilled are okay. However I have mainly thrown only 14lb balls due to my wrist. But I do have two 15lb balls I had drilled over the last year, which looking at the pin placement on the balls are drilled damn near the same as my other balls. But unless I move my feet way left(right hand bowler), the two 15lb balls hook way to much for the way I want to play the lanes.

I want to play the ball around 3rd arrow(15 board) and have the ball with a smooth backend motion. my two current 15lb balls are way to angular with motion down lane for my likings.