Pap

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

jprescott
Preferred Company: brunswick

Pap

Post by jprescott »

Was wondering, will, could, or should pap change between symmetrical vs asymmetrical balls? Guy I bowl with in our sport league brought his armadillo last nite and so thought we'd check to see if my pap was still the same or close. Been little while since I checked it, and it hadn't changed last time I checked it. First one we looked at was my vintage DZ (sym) was actually less than what I had, then my friend said let's try my Einstein (asym) it was less yet. Both balls when taped looked good, tape started out centered. I measured up my Melee w/what we got from DZ and it was good. ??? Friend asked if drilled same?? Same shop does all my stuff, generally they feel close, sometimes sanding on thumb (haven't gone to switch grip...yet) may be slightly different, but they feel relatively close. Neither of us had seen or experienced that. Thanks JP
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Pap

Post by EricHartwell »

jprescott wrote:Was wondering, will, could, or should pap change between symmetrical vs asymmetrical balls? Guy I bowl with in our sport league brought his armadillo last nite and so thought we'd check to see if my pap was still the same or close. Been little while since I checked it, and it hadn't changed last time I checked it. First one we looked at was my vintage DZ (sym) was actually less than what I had, then my friend said let's try my Einstein (asym) it was less yet. Both balls when taped looked good, tape started out centered. I measured up my Melee w/what we got from DZ and it was good. ??? Friend asked if drilled same?? Same shop does all my stuff, generally they feel close, sometimes sanding on thumb (haven't gone to switch grip...yet) may be slightly different, but they feel relatively close. Neither of us had seen or experienced that. Thanks JP
How are each of your balls laid out?
Are there any balance holes, if so, where?

Higher flaring balls will pull the PAP towards the grip, it is not uncommon to have different PAP measurements from ball to ball.

How much difference in PAP measurements did you have?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
jprescott

Post by jprescott »

The pap that had been measured for me was 5 1/2 over 9/16 up. DZ 50x4 1/2x 30 sm at hole p3, Melee 50x4 1/2 x 35 no hole, Sym balls. Einstein 50 x 4 1/2 x 30 at hole close to pap (cg lil to right of pin/mb). The pap measurement on sym balls came up 4 3/8 x 7/8 up. Didn't write down pap on asym ball, but was less. Had us scratching our heads. Thanks JP
bfweld

Post by bfweld »

When you got 5 1/2over and 9/16up how was that measured? Have you made any changes to your release since then?
PAP 5x1 1/8
15.5mph off hand
260-270rev rate
7* tilt
70* rotation
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

To be accurate, when possible, you should establish your PAP on a similarly drilled ball before drilling a new ball. For my customers, when possible, I get a symmetrical PAP and an asymmetrical PAP during the initial bowler analysis. But as EricHartwell correctly stated, an higher flaring balls will pull the PAP closer to the grip. To be a little more accurate in that statement, balls with faster spin times will precess further along the RG contour before hitting the lane than balls with slower spin times. Asym balls generally have lower spin times than sym balls. The amount you loft the ball will affect how much difference there is from ball to ball too. Balls will flare in the air.
James Talley
jprescott

Post by jprescott »

James & Eric, thanks for your replies. I was unaware that there would be any difference between asym/sym. I didn't write down asym #'s we came up with, but will see if we can get armadillo out again and get asym #'s. I have been using the one (pap) we mapped out when I started using this PS. don't recall what type of ball we used to get pap, think was sym ??? Thanks again JP