Crictical Theory redrill?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Crictical Theory redrill?

Post by ballspoint »

Who has a Roto Grip C T Ball? How do you rate its strength? I have mine drilled strong/early roll but now with slower ball speed its too strong. Am thinking of redrilling to long an strong. 65 X 31/2 X 35 is the layout given from this site some years ago. Its now 35 x 4 7/8 x 40
I have found this ball a strong cover/drilling and am unable to use it enough, would like to hear from other owners their ball story.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Re: Crictical Theory redrill?

Post by stevespo »

I have a Rotogrip CT (drilled 65x4x40) that was my main ball for a season. Love that ball and threw my first 300 with it. My father had tried 3 layouts on it (pin up, down, right of ring finger) and it was still too strong for him on his low volume house shot. His loss, my gain. I plugged/drilled and then had to later repair it, so it has 18 or 20 plugs in it.

After a big bridge/pin repair and an ADT thumb, I lost the strong reaction. It recovered with the addition of a P3.5/P4 (double thumb). Unfortunately, I lost a lot of ball speed that year (knee and hip injuries) so I was unable to throw it effectively and it has sat in the closet. Interestingly, it currently has the fastest spin time (via deTerminator) of any ball I own at 4.25s.

viewtopic.php?p=86213#p86213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now that I'm reasonably healthy again, my ball speed & revs are back up and I'm curious to roll it. I always threw it with a bit of surface (500/2000). I'm wondering if you've tried surface changes? With your current layout, is there the option for a P1 balance hole that might also tame the reaction a bit?

I might be tempted to try something like a low flare/control layout with the pin closer to the PAP @ 100x2.5x45 or equivalent. Based on my father's experience, my fear is that the long and strong layout might not be different enough from what you're using now.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

A control / low flare sounds better. Will be doing drilling next week or so.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

ballspoint wrote:Who has a Roto Grip C T Ball? How do you rate its strength? I have mine drilled strong/early roll but now with slower ball speed its too strong. Am thinking of redrilling to long an strong. 65 X 31/2 X 35 is the layout given from this site some years ago. Its now 35 x 4 7/8 x 40
I have found this ball a strong cover/drilling and am unable to use it enough, would like to hear from other owners their ball story.
I haven't owned one I'm just looking at it from a layout perspective. Working backward from your long and strong recommendation you would be speed dominant with low tilt and or rotation.
Is this accurate?

Do you have other balls in your arsenal, If so, what are they, how are they layed out and surface?

I would try to position it in a gap somewhere in your arsenal.
Its supposed to be a strong cover, you don't always need a Strong layout. Without considering your arsenal I like the idea of the low flare, which is basically the long and strong layout with a shorter pin to PAP. 65-2.25-35
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

EricHartwell wrote: I haven't owned one I'm just looking at it from a layout perspective. Working backward from your long and strong recommendation you would be speed dominant with low tilt and or rotation.
Is this accurate?

Do you have other balls in your arsenal, If so, what are they, how are they layed out and surface?

I would try to position it in a gap somewhere in your arsenal.
Its supposed to be a strong cover, you don't always need a Strong layout. Without considering your arsenal I like the idea of the low flare, which is basically the long and strong layout with a shorter pin to PAP. 65-2.25-35
Closer to matched now as these specs are 5 years old. 250 revs 17.5 mph off hand, Axis 70*, Tilt
11*, 5 5/8 over 1" up. At league the oil pattern changes monthly from short' med, long so i basically have 3 or 4 balls to chose from for each pattern. At a tournament i chose balls to suit the pattern plus for the transition. But i dont have a short pin to pap layout. I could drill that then choose the balance hole after rolling the ball.
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

Had one, traded it in on a new ball. Shot my highest series ever with it. Kicking myself for ever getting rid of it. :evil:
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

stevespo wrote:I have a Rotogrip CT (drilled 65x4x40) that was my main ball for a season. Love that ball and threw my first 300 with it. My father had tried 3 layouts on it (pin up, down, right of ring finger) and it was still too strong for him on his low volume house shot. His loss, my gain. I plugged/drilled and then had to later repair it, so it has 18 or 20 plugs in it.

After a big bridge/pin repair and an ADT thumb, I lost the strong reaction. It recovered with the addition of a P3.5/P4 (double thumb). Unfortunately, I lost a lot of ball speed that year (knee and hip injuries) so I was unable to throw it effectively and it has sat in the closet. Interestingly, it currently has the fastest spin time (via deTerminator) of any ball I own at 4.25s.

viewtopic.php?p=86213#p86213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now that I'm reasonably healthy again, my ball speed & revs are back up and I'm curious to roll it. I always threw it with a bit of surface (500/2000). I'm wondering if you've tried surface changes? With your current layout, is there the option for a P1 balance hole that might also tame the reaction a bit?

I might be tempted to try something like a low flare/control layout with the pin closer to the PAP @ 100x2.5x45 or equivalent. Based on my father's experience, my fear is that the long and strong layout might not be different enough from what you're using now.

Steve
I bowled my 3rd 300 last year with mine.