Storm Timeless vs Storm Rocketship

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Storm Timeless vs Storm Rocketship

Post by krava »

I have both of these balls drilled bascially the same and both at the same factory finish. I am trying to find a difference between these balls. The only difference I can see is I have to play 1 board left with the timeless then the rocketship. The ball motion, how far it goes down the lane etc is the same to me. Anyone have any simular experience or what should be done to one (probably the rocketship) to get some kind of different reaction? I don't want to carry 2 balls that are so similar when I don't have room enough for what I got already.

Here is what I carry:
Bag 1 4 ball carrier
Storm Timeless
Track Spare + (Spare ball)
Storm Joy Ride
Storm Match Pearl

Bag 2 3 ball carrier
Brunswick Fanatic BTU
Hammer Bad Intentions Hybrid
Hammer bad Intentions

Lane condition is fresh oil and half of normal volume since only 2 people per lane. Maybe the Hy-Road is a bit different from those? But I think it is a bit simular to the 2 anyway. Maybe put a C300 swerve FX which has a different shape to it? Everything I have is about the same shape except that thing. So far this season I have only used the Timeless and the rocketship. I didn't need the rocketship at all. I just found my joy ride and might be able to play to the right. Storm Match solid is too strong even drilled with low flare (it starts too soon).
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Storm Timeless vs Storm Rocketship

Post by 44boyd »

I'd probably throw some polish on the rocket ship to use when the timeless gets too strong.
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I should have brought the rocketship today. I left 9-10 10's in 2 frames with the timeless. Maybe the rocketship would have been different. Not going to make this mistake again. if you have a ball leaving the 10 pin (not deflecting) maybe another ball just slightly different might help that.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Wouldn't hurt, got to change your line, speed or ball to get back to striking if you're hitting the pocket.
Stacy
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

krava wrote:I have both of these balls drilled bascially the same and both at the same factory finish. I am trying to find a difference between these balls. The only difference I can see is I have to play 1 board left with the timeless then the rocketship. The ball motion, how far it goes down the lane etc is the same to me. Anyone have any simular experience or what should be done to one (probably the rocketship) to get some kind of different reaction? I don't want to carry 2 balls that are so similar when I don't have room enough for what I got already.

Here is what I carry:
Bag 1 4 ball carrier
Storm Timeless
Track Spare + (Spare ball)
Storm Joy Ride
Storm Match Pearl

Bag 2 3 ball carrier
Brunswick Fanatic BTU
Hammer Bad Intentions Hybrid
Hammer bad Intentions

Lane condition is fresh oil and half of normal volume since only 2 people per lane. Maybe the Hy-Road is a bit different from those? But I think it is a bit simular to the 2 anyway. Maybe put a C300 swerve FX which has a different shape to it? Everything I have is about the same shape except that thing. So far this season I have only used the Timeless and the rocketship. I didn't need the rocketship at all. I just found my joy ride and might be able to play to the right. Storm Match solid is too strong even drilled with low flare (it starts too soon).

So you bring seven balls to every house shot league? Yikes. I don't even bring 7 to our sport shot league.

There is NO WAY you need that many different balls for a house shot you bowl on weekly. The only effect of bringing all of those is analysis paralysis. Simplify.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Bahshay wrote:

So you bring seven balls to every house shot league? Yikes. I don't even bring 7 to our sport shot league.

There is NO WAY you need that many different balls for a house shot you bowl on weekly. The only effect of bringing all of those is analysis paralysis. Simplify.
I'm a league noob this year and I agree he brings too much, but when you say simplify, how and why would you do it? I like to hear people's theories on why so I can learn better for my own game. Thanks

Stacy
Stacy
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

krava wrote:I have both of these balls drilled bascially the same and both at the same factory finish. I am trying to find a difference between these balls. The only difference I can see is I have to play 1 board left with the timeless then the rocketship. The ball motion, how far it goes down the lane etc is the same to me.
You're carrying 2 of the same damn ball, you probably have a couple other 'pairs' that are alike as well. A 1 board difference is NOT a difference. As said you only bring more confusion than answers to your game. Learn your equipment! Know what each does, INTIMATELY! When you make a ball change, you should already KNOW exactly where to line up to throw it and be dead in the pocket or 1 bd. off at most. If that requires a line change of 1 bd or 10, that's knowing your equipment.

For Stacy,
4 balls at most NOT 7+. See above. My recommemded league arsenal, simple. 1 that hooks w/ lots of surface, 1 medium, 1 that reads the lane but hooks little i.e control ball & a spare ball that can't hook on blacktop if you like. MOST important is KNOW what each does like they are an extension of YOU!

7+ balls to a league that puts out pretty much the same shot week after week, PLEEEEZ!
Last edited by imagonman on June 8th, 2017, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

44boyd wrote:
I'm a league noob this year and I agree he brings too much, but when you say simplify, how and why would you do it? I like to hear people's theories on why so I can learn better for my own game. Thanks

Stacy
I don't want to make too broad of a recommendation with little information, it's too much of a guess. I can tell you what works for ME at MY HOUSE in particular.

My home alley hasn't changed their pattern in a few years. It is an overblock with plenty of oil in the middle and outsides that are pretty hooking from the start and fry quickly. On a fresh shot, I'll come to that league with two IQ solids, 1 with a THS low flare layout on it and 1 drilled to flare more. Typically, I can start more in the friction with the low flare and then bump in with the higher flare when the outsides fry. I also bring my plastic to round out my 3 ball bag.

Generally, these balls compliment each other in that they have a shape that just works at this house but start on different parts of the lane. If one isn't carrying the 10 pin, the other one will.

My other league is second shift, with half the house bowling after a 5 man men's league and the other half after a 4 lady women's league. I'll bring the same 3 balls bag to this league, but I'll throw in another 2 ball tote that serves as a "break glass in case of emergency" bag. That bag includes a strong solid asym for carrydown and a Pearl asym if I need more recovery to get further left past a big hook spot.

You'll notice I don't have any really weak covers. That's because I hate the way they roll FOR ME AT THIS HOUSE, which is why I wouldn't put too much stock in following a bag that's designed for me. I generally believe you can hit most house shots with two complimentary medium balls, a ball that generates more friction, and a ball that generates less friction. Those are VERY broad segments though, which should be tailored to how you throw, the characteristics of the house, the leagues you are in, and the oil pattern.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Thanks for the feedback, I like hearing your process for what you do. My strongest drilled ball is a paradox Pearl scuffed to a 500 grit, brought it to league first night and it was the only non shiny ball on the return. It lasted one shot because it read way early and went to my regular paradox with some compound on it and it's been fine for all 3 games. I've got some learning to do on what I read on here and trying to recognize it on the lane when I see it. Thanks again

Stacy
Stacy
bfweld

Post by bfweld »

I see two options in regards to your timeless and rocketship, excluding any possible weight hole options since we don't know the layout they have on them...
1. scuff up your Timeless and polish your Rocketship
2. scuff up your Rocketship and leave the timeless polished assuming you didn't change it from OOB

When I say "scuff" I don't mean 2000 or 3000...I mean DULL <1000.

Also the real question to be asking yourself is why did you buy a timeless after already having a rocketship...and then top things off by getting it drilled the same way as your rocketship? The code black would have been a better option...could've started with your rocketship and transitioned to the code black when you start leaving tens and you need more entry angle and conserved energy to kick those tens out.
PAP 5x1 1/8
15.5mph off hand
260-270rev rate
7* tilt
70* rotation
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I will try to defend this. First of all, 6/7 weeks or however many weeks we have bowled this summer, I brought 7 balls and only used 2. Timeless and spare ball. So the question is why the others? First of all lets narrow this down to 4 balls.

4 ball roller (if I could only have 4)
#1 Spare Ball {for any spare except for a double wood}
#2 Bad intentions Hybrid (strong ball matte OOB or 1000 less gritt) [Lane has to have enough oil on it for me to use this. This ball I usually use left of 2nd arrow after the lanes break down and 2nd arrow is off limits or unless there is more heavier oil from the start of bowling then usual. This ball can't take too much oil though]
#3 Storm Timeless / Rocket Ship / Hy Road (any of these would suffice) Benchmark control balls (if I could only use 1 ball the entire time, it would be one of these 3 and then adjust from there. Heavy oil I will have alot of problems with any of these 3. Lighter oil I can always move left]
#4 Brunswick BTU (for dry lane condition to play right , if I don't want to move left or to continue to play a burnt up line instead of having to move off of it)

so now why the others?
Lane oil machine brakes down ton of oil 40-50 feet down the lane(which happend twice this year), Bad intentions hybrid wouldn't have enough surface or grip. I would have to move even more left and slow the ball down more (which makes it easier to miss since I am not used to throwing really slow). So that is why a Hammer Scandal is carried incase I need ALOT Of surface and hook

SO now we are at 5 balls (you can understand why there is a need for 5 now hopefully) 5th ball Scandal.

Lets say I run into what happend 2 weeks ago when I left 10+ 10 pins. If I would have another ball like the control ball but just a tad bit different, I might could have carried more. So If I had a timeless in my bag for the 4 ball thing, now add the rocket ship. I would be playing a line real close to what I was playing with the timeless but just a tad different and who knows, carry might have gone up. An arguement can be made that I could have adjusted. I was almost dead in the pocket every time, how can you adjust? If you make any adjustment, the ball will be in a different place. The only adjustment would been maybe play a different line. Move 2 and 2 or 3 and 3 and try another line. The problem with this is then I am moving left and accuracy will hurt bad and I will miss alot more. It would be so much easier to get a ball really close to what I was usuing and hopefully the angle of entry is just a tad different and I carry more. Hopefully you see why that ball in the bag could help.. That 6th ball is in the bag in case of leaving all these corner pins and not carrying. It wasn't a matter of moving half a board and getting it in the pocket better. I was all over the place. I had too much angle, too little angle, solid 10 pins etc. More solid then the others though. If it was deflecting I could have ajusted and delt with that but I didn't notice deflection. 6th ball is 2nd of the 3 of the control balls.

Now 7th ball. My pick for the 7th ball would be something more on a sport shot. For example my storm match drilled with low flare. Lets take today for example, I was pretty far left (standing at 29 throwing accross 10). I moved to 23 and threw up 8 and the BTU over hooked and went left and struck brooklyn twice. I moved to 25 and hit 10 and went brookln. If I used the Storm match, I never get that much of an arc out of it. It is a little arc. So this ball is good when there is too much backend out there and everything else over reacts. The btu is good for playing in the dry. Suppose that I was throwing the timeless and now I have to move left 2 boards because it is starting to hit brooklyn. I can use the BTU in the same place as the timeless now and stay there if I want to.

There is the reasoning for the 7 balls. Hopefully that makes it more clear. Most of the time, I don't use but 1 or 2 of them. I don't grab a ball if my score is low. I have to see what is going on. Most of the time I am not hitting where I am suppose to and no matter what I use, it won't help. with those 7 balls, I should be able to handle anything on this earth that you throw at me, From having 2 days old lanes never oiled to a lane heavily oiled 40 or 50 feet down. I own a ton of more balls. I don't see why bringing them is a big deal unless there isn't enough room for people to put their stuff? I put my stuff completely away from everyone if I can and place the bags back to back. Each time I go bowling, I don't know what to expect and prepared for anything they want to throw at me.

If I have some bad reasoning somewhere, please let me know. I have help bringing balls up there and it isn't just me. This week it will be me and I will only bring 5. 4 ball roller plus the joey.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

TL;DR version:

He brings 7 balls to be ready for any condition eventuality that might remotely happen.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
bfweld

Post by bfweld »

If you want to bring 7 balls...bring 7 balls, that's your choice to make. But It doesn't do any good if some of them don't play off of each other. The Rocketship is a great ball, and an excellent benchmark or control layout ball. The Timeless is also a great ball from what I've seen, but both on paper and on lane the reaction is simply not that different between the two given the same layout. The Timeless is basically an earlier rolling Hyroad, and the Rocketship is close to being a slightly later rolling IQ Tour...there is TONS of people that use an IQ Tour and a Hyroad as their main 1-2 punch balls. You have the two balls in between those two, and drilled the same way, so the on lane difference will not be enough to help you kick the ten out. Unless you change something about them...personally I would have the Timeless plugged and drilled to a long&strong type layout, the polished cover will give you the easier length you want compared to the Rocketship and the different drilling will emphasize that more and give you an on lane reaction that is longer and harder off friction. Which would help you get those pesky 10pins kicked out since it will conserve more energy then the Rocketship and give you more entry angle into the pocket.
PAP 5x1 1/8
15.5mph off hand
260-270rev rate
7* tilt
70* rotation
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Don't worry too much about it. I take a lot of balls so I can change and compare often. I just think it is more fun with more balls. When you go to a tournament, chances are I will use the same ones I carry to league.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I have a c300 swerve FX that is drilled long and strong. But thanks about the comment about this is a longer hyroad or whatever, I have to go back and look. The timeless and rocketship are extremely simular. I also have a radical ridiculous which is like a hyroad with more backend.
bfweld

Post by bfweld »

You have a number of options then...

1: you can scuff up the rocketship, leave the timeless as is, and take your ridiculous and have it drilled long&strong or close to it if it isn't already. All 3 of those would then play off of each other.

2: scuff up the rocketship, either leave the hyroad as is or scuff it up just a bit, plug/redrill the timeless to a long&strong drilling...doing so would give you something longer and stronger then the rocketship and hyroad but it shouldn't get too skid flippy on you either. All 3 of those would play off of each other with the rocketship scuffed up to whatever grit seems to work best for you on your usual lane conditons and the timeless redrilled long&strong being the 2nd ball in the bag that you switch to when the rocketship starts leaving 10's.

3: plug/redrill the rocketship to a true control layout for you and scuff it up, leave the timeless as is and get the ridiculous drilled to long&strong......this I believe would give you the widest range of use for a 3ball set that all can play off of each other.

Now one other thing to say...you stating you have a ridiculous also along with your rocketship, timeless and hyroad just reiterates the fact that you need to do a better job of choosing new bowling balls and the layouts to put on them. I would love to have any 3 of those, they would cover the majority of house conditions a person sees with the right layouts on them.
PAP 5x1 1/8
15.5mph off hand
260-270rev rate
7* tilt
70* rotation
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Not going to plug anything, The timeless is 16lbs the rocketship is 15lbs. If I want to go down in weight I just use the rocketship.

I have 3 different ball shapes.

Storm Match or Bad intentions Straight and then slight arc (example play straight down 8 curve into the pocket stand on 20)
Timeless, Bad Intentions Hybrid etc Banana Shape ball motion (stand on 23 throw accross 10 to 8 and then back in)
C300 Swerve Hockey sick ball Motion (stand on 23 throw accross 10 diagonal and then snap back hard with a further break point)

I would probably think those 3 balls should be in the bag to give me different ball shapes. I am not used to the hockey stick type shape and it can definitely over react.

The rocketship and timeless should be both control layout. The ridiculous (which I never bring), is I believe a long and strong layout. That is why the backend of the ridiculous is more then the other 2. I got it to play deeper left. I have to get away from the 2nd arrow to use that. I think instead of trying to get a simular ball not to leave 10 pins, I will try a different ball shape and see what it does.