New Ball Troubles For Beginner. Please Help!!!

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

rpr006

New Ball Troubles For Beginner. Please Help!!!

Post by rpr006 »

Hello all, so here is the deal. I've been bowling for roughly 6 months and finally made the dive in getting my own ball a few weeks ago. I purchased the Pyramid BluePrint Pearl Project, in hindsight was probably too aggressive of a ball, and had it drilled through a bowling online retailer for a left hander. Now the dilemma, the first game or two I can stand just right of the center arrow and the ball has a smooth nice hook and hits pretty consistently in the, I guess it would be 1-2 pocket? However, once I hit game 3 and up the ball starts to over hook and I start missing my target. I try to make small adjustments to my right but then i find the ball just skidding and never hooking back toward the head pin or it actually does hook but goes through the nose. Do i have too aggressive of a ball? I've been looking into getting another, less aggressive, ball so I can play that straighter line. Thoughts? Should I look into a less aggressive ball or simply try to work on my game to make the proper adjustments?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: New Ball Troubles For Beginner. Please Help!!!

Post by EricHartwell »

rpr006 wrote:Hello all, so here is the deal. I've been bowling for roughly 6 months and finally made the dive in getting my own ball a few weeks ago. I purchased the Pyramid BluePrint Pearl Project, in hindsight was probably too aggressive of a ball, and had it drilled through a bowling online retailer for a left hander. Now the dilemma, the first game or two I can stand just right of the center arrow and the ball has a smooth nice hook and hits pretty consistently in the, I guess it would be 1-2 pocket? However, once I hit game 3 and up the ball starts to over hook and I start missing my target. I try to make small adjustments to my right but then i find the ball just skidding and never hooking back toward the head pin or it actually does hook but goes through the nose. Do i have too aggressive of a ball? I've been looking into getting another, less aggressive, ball so I can play that straighter line. Thoughts? Should I look into a less aggressive ball or simply try to work on my game to make the proper adjustments?
Welcome to BowlingChat

I think learning lane play and adjustments would be more beneficial at this point. Regardless of what ball you are rolling you will need to make adjustments. I am not saying that having another ball will not serve your game well. It could be very advantageous to have a weaker ball to complement the Blueprint.

Have you found the Wiki yet? The Image button at the top right of the page. There is a wealth of bowling knowledge there.
Here is a link to an article on lane play strategy.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... House_Shot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a Coaching section that I would encourage you to utilize.

viewforum.php?f=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The center dot/arrow is the 20th board. The first arrow from the left gutter is the 5 board 2nd arrow is the 10 board and etc. Get used to being exact when it comes to where you are standing and what board your target board is. Also how far to the left is your ball traveling before it changes direction (the breakpoint)
What are you looking at for a target?
On what board is your slide foot on when you deliver the ball?
What adjustments are you making?

I would also suggest taking the Blueprint to your local proshop and have the fit checked.
I would not trust an online service to drill a ball for me.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
rpr006

Post by rpr006 »

EricHartwell wrote: Welcome to BowlingChat

I think learning lane play and adjustments would be more beneficial at this point. Regardless of what ball you are rolling you will need to make adjustments. I am not saying that having another ball will not serve your game well. It could be very advantageous to have a weaker ball to complement the Blueprint.

Have you found the Wiki yet? The Image button at the top right of the page. There is a wealth of bowling knowledge there.
Here is a link to an article on lane play strategy.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... House_Shot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a Coaching section that I would encourage you to utilize.

viewforum.php?f=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The center dot/arrow is the 20th board. The first arrow from the left gutter is the 5 board 2nd arrow is the 10 board and etc. Get used to being exact when it comes to where you are standing and what board your target board is. Also how far to the left is your ball traveling before it changes direction (the breakpoint)
What are you looking at for a target?
On what board is your slide foot on when you deliver the ball?
What adjustments are you making?

I would also suggest taking the Blueprint to your local proshop and have the fit checked.
I would not trust an online service to drill a ball for me.

First, thank you for the wealth of information! It is greatly appreciated. Now, I agree I defiantly need to learn lane play because I was not familiar with the board numbering and all of that. But now that I know that, I start at the 22 board and once I make a move it is usually two boards. So I guess I make the move to the 24 board then the farthest I go is probably the 26 board. Now logically thinking about it, I don't pay enough attention to which board I'm targeting my release at so that could be why I seem to keep missing wide left when I make my adjustment.

As for the ball, I've defiantly been looking to take it to a pro shop because the holes for my middle and index finger are too big and I can sometimes feel my fingers moving around in there. Also, when the ball skids, it is usually about 3/4 down the lane which is also when it hooks when I'm at the 22nd board. But when I'm at the 22nd board my ball curves to the outside on the lane and then 3/4 down the lane it just cuts in and hits right where I want it to. However, once I move the 24th/26th range, the ball stays closer to the center of the lane and just never makes that hook. Instead it almost seems as though its hydroplaning and hits the 2 pin before the head pin. It's frustrating to say the least..
Mallowpuff

Post by Mallowpuff »

I'm here for learning purposes myself, but I have to ask, it has finger tip inserts in the middle and index finger holes right?

I'm fairly sure it does as you'd have a hard time hooking it as much as you are, but when you said you could feel your fingers moving a little bit made me have to ask.

It would make sense that the ball doesn't hook when shooting from the 26 board. On a normal house shot there will be much less oil on the outside of the lane. So when you shoot over the center your ball is going through much more oil. That's why it's sliding instead of grabbing the dry like it does when going from the outside.

Or I'm completely wrong. This is how I always thought about it. I'm right handed, but when I go straight up the outside, shoots over like a rocket. Move over a few boards and play it up the middle, doesn't grab until it's too late.
rpr006

Post by rpr006 »

Mallowpuff wrote:I'm here for learning purposes myself, but I have to ask, it has finger tip inserts in the middle and index finger holes right?

I'm fairly sure it does as you'd have a hard time hooking it as much as you are, but when you said you could feel your fingers moving a little bit made me have to ask.

It would make sense that the ball doesn't hook when shooting from the 26 board. On a normal house shot there will be much less oil on the outside of the lane. So when you shoot over the center your ball is going through much more oil. That's why it's sliding instead of grabbing the dry like it does when going from the outside.

Or I'm completely wrong. This is how I always thought about it. I'm right handed, but when I go straight up the outside, shoots over like a rocket. Move over a few boards and play it up the middle, doesn't grab until it's too late.

I actually don't have finger inserts in the ball. I guess I get my hook by not using my thumb. I'm a modified two hander. Take it back with two hands but as I start my forward motion I go to one hand.
Mallowpuff

Post by Mallowpuff »

rpr006 wrote:

I'm a modified two hander. Take it back with two hands but as I start my forward motion I go to one hand.
That explains that. No idea about inserts using 2 hands but you still release with one so in my mind you should have them. Dunno.

Hopefully someone with knowledge on this kind of bowling chimes in.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

The use of finger grips is not a requirement. It is more of a comfort thing. As long as you are comfortable and not tearing up your fingers I wouldn't add the added upkeep and expense of them.

Knowing that you are a no thumb bowler it is quite possible that the Blueprint is too strong making the 3rd game transition difficult to manage. Having a weaker ball to complement it would be a good idea.

Knowing your release specs is essential to tune your equipment accordingly with Surface, layouts and balance holes.
Also knowing your release specs helps when discussing lane play.
Check out this link for the information to determine your release specs.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im sure some of this will raise questions for you, be sure to ask them here in the forum. There are many knowledgeable people here to help answer them.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
HughScot
THS Average: 170
Speed: 14
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road pearl, Storm Tropical Breeze, Hammer Taboo

Post by HughScot »

To simplify things a little, hooking more after a number of frames is possibly the result of the oil being pushed down. In general the less oil the more hook. When this happens I go to a ball that hooks less. A very good all purpose ball is the Storm Hy-Road Pearl. IMHO
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Welcome rpr006.

You may find this video enlightening and entertaining.
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=F0DDEnpm6Pk[/youtube]

Tidbit: Although we cannot put down our own oil patterns, here are a few low tech ideas for practice.
If you have more than one ball, set up a practice session as if there are more than one person bowling, that is, a line for ball A, ball B etc.
This will most likely force you to play different lines and stay mentally alert, and follow the ball motion.
There is merit to using THE WRONG ball in practice, because it can be a way of developing versatility your physical game.
Dave Ferraro advised that using a non hooking ball to learn how to hook is useful and conversely, using a hooking ball to learn how to throw it straight I'd equally valuable.
Last week we saw just how important it is to be versatile when the PBA was bowling on the Wolf Pattern. First time I've watched bowling in quite a few years.
Ironically I was telling my wife (who could care less) what a bowler should have tried several frames before Randy mentioned it.
Remember, it's always how many, not how. All that matters is out running the slowest guy the crowd the bear is chasing.

Every ball is analogous to a pitch, but learning different releases and speed will make you a more complete player.

Cheers!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John