The 2017 urethane ball thread

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

BigDog

Re: The 2017 urethane ball thread

Post by BigDog »

TonyPR wrote:Well it's been fun, with this year coming to an end and so is this thread and no better ending to it than this year's PBA World Championship. Some interesting points of view have been stated and here are my current points of view:
-Urethane reads early and helps in controlling backend reaction yet with symmetric balls you have to keep your angles straighter, not so much with asymmetric balls such as the Hot Cell or Widow yet recovery is never as good as with reactives.
-Urethane works great for high speed, high rev players
-Urethane works good on flatter sport patterns when the outside is in play, especially in high volume short sport patterns.
-Urethane is not the best choice for most on a house shot where if you can roll reactive from the oil to the dry you will most likely have more margin of error.
-Nord loves urethane and for his unique style it seems to work for him
-Urethane is a must for a high rev two hander's arsenal
-There are other options to create the early smooth urethane reaction with reactive balls but knowledge of what ball, surface and layout to use is necessary.
-Urethane can make transition difficult for those not using urethane and sometimes even for those who are using urethane.
-Many times the adjustment for transition with urethane is further outside and faster, other times it's a little inside with your eyes
-People may complain urethane will ruin a pattern but can't legally make someone stop using it so the best strategy is to learn how to deal with the difficult conditions created.
-Team players should have caution not to ruin the pattern for fellow team mates.
-Hammer makes the best urethane balls (my opinion)

Hope you guys enjoyed, see you next year and happy new year!
Great summary!

The only point I will disagree on is the last. The visionary crow is the best urethane ball out there (in my opinion :lol:). Unless of course AMF brings back the original Angle and/or the gunsmoke cobra...

Looking forward to the 2018 urethane thread!
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: The 2017 urethane ball thread

Post by TonyPR »

New thread just started, 2018 is already here in Puerto Rico, happy new year!
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent