Using Abrasion pads

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

chrt396
Preferred Company: Track

Using Abrasion pads

Post by chrt396 »

I am new to the forum...so thank you for having me.

Went back to bowling about 14 mos. ago after a 39 year layoff...with some friends and family...and now bowling on two leagues. Just like any sport or hobby...I tend to dive in head first and do everything I can do to get better and what I'm participating in. From equipment to techniques....I keep trying to get the best ball or technique to improve my game.

Started out with a 150 average...and now it is hovering right at 200. I owe a lot of that to the ball that I just started using...as it has improved my game overnight. The Track Mako. I maintain my equipment meticulously. However...there is one question that I have.

Went into the pro-shop tonight before league started. I asked to have my ball cleaned. The Track Mako states 500/2000 as a pad to use. My impression was...to use the 500 pad on it to smooth out surface and remove dirt and oil...then switch to 2000 to finish it off...which of course would give it some length down the lane before it reacted. The shop owner used only 800 grit sandpaper on the ball...and said that if you use 2000 Abrasion everytime you cleaned the ball, that it would start getting shinier and less reactive. MY logic tells me...that if you use 500 pad...that it will dull out and the 2000 pad will smooth it out...NOT make it shiny and non-reactive.

Can someone tell me what the accepted process is to clan a ball with Abralon pads and how often should I use them? Is using a 500..then 2000 pad every week acceptable? I bowling 4 games monday...3 games Saturday...and 3 games on Sunday. Total of 10 games per week.

Thanks in advance for any help or assistance you can give me.
Last edited by chrt396 on April 11th, 2017, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkHorse

Re: Using Abrasion pads

Post by DarkHorse »

You should "clean" a bowling ball with a microfiber towel and some kind of cleaning chemical.
Considering it's an Ebonite product (Ebonite manufactures Track products), I'd go with a Powerhouse brand cleaner (again, made by Ebonite).
If the ball is dirty enough, it will clog the sanding pad quicker and make it less effective.

You are correct that using the 500 pad will dull the ball, but it doesn't smooth the surface, it actually digs in deeper. The 2000 over the top is what smooths the peaks the 500 created, so you still have deep 500 grit valleys, but smoother 2000 grit peaks. Referred to on this forum as the "skip a grit" technique, since you skip the 1000 grit pad.

800 grit sandpaper is about 1500 Abralon pad, so it's pretty close.
How often to sand depends on several variables, so you'd want to touch up whenever you notice a change in ball reaction.
Generally, you'd touch up with a 2000 pad every 30 games, then the full 500/2000 every 60 or so. Some folks do more often, some less.

Siaair is a similar product to Abralon. Different sanding media, but usage and grit is the system. I find they last a bit longer. This website has good prices for the home user.
http://www.abralonpads.com/Products/33-siaair-pads.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've heard good things about this setup (I believe you can remove the knob and attach to a handheld drill):
https://www.buddiesproshop.com/shop/sur ... stem-5022/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
chrt396

Post by chrt396 »

DarkHorse wrote:You should "clean" a bowling ball with a microfiber towel and some kind of cleaning chemical.
Considering it's an Ebonite product (Ebonite manufactures Track products), I'd go with a Powerhouse brand cleaner (again, made by Ebonite).
If the ball is dirty enough, it will clog the sanding pad quicker and make it less effective.

You are correct that using the 500 pad will dull the ball, but it doesn't smooth the surface, it actually digs in deeper. The 2000 over the top is what smooths the peaks the 500 created, so you still have deep 500 grit valleys, but smoother 2000 grit peaks. Referred to on this forum as the "skip a grit" technique, since you skip the 1000 grit pad.

800 grit sandpaper is about 1500 Abralon pad, so it's pretty close.
How often to sand depends on several variables, so you'd want to touch up whenever you notice a change in ball reaction.
Generally, you'd touch up with a 2000 pad every 30 games, then the full 500/2000 every 60 or so. Some folks do more often, some less.

Siaair is a similar product to Abralon. Different sanding media, but usage and grit is the system. I find they last a bit longer. This website has good prices for the home user.
http://www.abralonpads.com/Products/33-siaair-pads.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've heard good things about this setup (I believe you can remove the knob and attach to a handheld drill):
https://www.buddiesproshop.com/shop/sur ... stem-5022/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK...Great info! I was under the impression that using the Abralon 500/2000 pad EVERY time was necessary. Basically...just use a good cleaner....and then every 30 games...use a 2000...and after 60...get a little deeper using the 500 pad..followed up with the 2000. Perfect! Now I can make sense of all this. My anal retentive ways can get the best of me...and I tend to overdue cleanings and prep....so Thank You...for the info.
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

I don't think you should wait 30 game before touching up the surface maybe 9 - 12 would be better. Duller balls will lane shine on synthetic lanes quickly, you could search on YouTube for Jayhwak surface scanner and see how much a cover will change in 3 games.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
davidjr113
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 1 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by davidjr113 »

As Dustin said, look at Jayhawk's video, surface changes a lot in just one game. If you want to maintain 2000 or lower, you need to touch up every time you bowl
Senior Bowler
Tilt 23
Rot 20-40
Speed off hand 17-18
Rev 200-250
PAP 4 5/8 over 1 up RH'd 185+ On THS
chrt396

Post by chrt396 »

davidjr113 wrote:As Dustin said, look at Jayhawk's video, surface changes a lot in just one game. If you want to maintain 2000 or lower, you need to touch up every time you bowl

I watched the Jaywalk video which seems to negate everything that my bowling pro shop is telling me. I originally was under the impression to use Abralon pads every week. At a minimum...I'm bowling 4 games on Monday...3 games on Saturday...3 games on Sunday. That is minimum. 10 games.

So using a 500...then straight to a 2000 grit Abralon pad each and every time is NOT going to mess up the Coverstock??? He kept telling me that I shouldn't use 2000 every time because it would eventually smooth out the ball to a shinier finish...which I didn't want in a dull ball. MY thinking was....if you are using a 500 grit to begin with...you are taking the shine off first...so following up with a 2000 would do nothing but restore it to the factory finish.

My main goal is to maintain the performance of this ball. My average jumped up dramatically when I bought this ball....and I wanna keep that mojo going on as long as possible. I love the action and movement of the ball and have no problem doing the work or paying to keep it there.

Also..the drill setup...will that be as effective as a ball spinner..or will I get mixed results with it
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

chrt396 wrote:.the drill setup.
Here is the company the that originally made that, Master just licensed it from them.

https://www.polishyourball.com/

Look at that site and you can see the different kits they have.

[youtube][/youtube]
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

chrt396 wrote:

I watched the Jaywalk video which seems to negate everything that my bowling pro shop is telling me. I originally was under the impression to use Abralon pads every week. At a minimum...I'm bowling 4 games on Monday...3 games on Saturday...3 games on Sunday. That is minimum. 10 games.

So using a 500...then straight to a 2000 grit Abralon pad each and every time is NOT going to mess up the Coverstock??? He kept telling me that I shouldn't use 2000 every time because it would eventually smooth out the ball to a shinier finish...which I didn't want in a dull ball. MY thinking was....if you are using a 500 grit to begin with...you are taking the shine off first...so following up with a 2000 would do nothing but restore it to the factory finish.

My main goal is to maintain the performance of this ball. My average jumped up dramatically when I bought this ball....and I wanna keep that mojo going on as long as possible. I love the action and movement of the ball and have no problem doing the work or paying to keep it there.

Also..the drill setup...will that be as effective as a ball spinner..or will I get mixed results with it
Just my two cents here: Buy a ball spinner (in lieu of buying that next hooking monster of a ball). My bet is you will say it was one of the smartest purchases you ever made. Personally, I cannot imagine bowling without one. I use it after every outing. I have saved $$ refinishing my own BBs, and have been able to help out teammates. I am intrigued with the drill system as it's portable but I do not think it gives you the versatility of a spinner.

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

As Viper said, the best you can do is buy a spinner.

You can also change the out of box surface for different reactions. It's all about friction.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another option is to refresh the surface by hand every time you bowl and every month depending on how much you bowl take it to the pro shop and have them do it with a spinner. When doing skip a grit apply more pressure to the lower grit and scuff it with lighty pressure afterwards with the higher grit. Buy abralon or siaair pads as the padded material will make it easier to use. You could also ask Santa Clause for a spinner jejeje, that's what I am going to do this year :D

Always remember to wipe your ball before every shot and clean with a ball cleaner immediately after you finish bowling. If you ever want some free video analysis of your physical game you are welcome to post videos in the certified coaching section, just follow the instructions.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
duvallite

Post by duvallite »

+1 on buying a spinner. I bit the bullet a few years ago and bought an Innovative Personal Spinner. It has made a huge difference in dialing in my equipment, and I have done some of my teammates as well to help them out. It has more than paid for itself just in the savings over having the PSO do surface changes, not to mention the convenience of not having to drive anywhere or wait to get things done. Just get one, and you'll never look back. I also built a ball oven similar to the NuBall one for oil removal. Works like a champ and only cost me around $80-90 to build. You might want to consider this as well if you can DIY.
chrt396

Post by chrt396 »

duvallite wrote:+1 on buying a spinner. I bit the bullet a few years ago and bought an Innovative Personal Spinner. It has made a huge difference in dialing in my equipment, and I have done some of my teammates as well to help them out. It has more than paid for itself just in the savings over having the PSO do surface changes, not to mention the convenience of not having to drive anywhere or wait to get things done. Just get one, and you'll never look back. I also built a ball oven similar to the NuBall one for oil removal. Works like a champ and only cost me around $80-90 to build. You might want to consider this as well if you can DIY.

I've seriously been thinking about getting a spinner....but it seems as if I should invest in a 2 speed spinner to re-finish a dull ball. What I hear is that applying the 500 grit Abralon...that they are best applied at lower speeds. I thought maybe it was overkill to get a spinner. The guy at Track Bowling said that all I needed was to do it by hand. He felt that a spinner wasn't essential to get a good finish on the ball. So many options...still a bit confused. The drill tool seemed pretty decent to use...but not sure if it's a good quality alternative. I see some mixed reviews on them. Some GREAT..some..not so great!
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Buy 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 pads, one of each, and start experimenting with different surface combinations by hand. Get the spinner for Christmas or your birthday, it's good to have but not essential.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
duvallite

Post by duvallite »

chrt396 wrote:I've seriously been thinking about getting a spinner....but it seems as if I should invest in a 2 speed spinner to re-finish a dull ball. What I hear is that applying the 500 grit Abralon...that they are best applied at lower speeds. I thought maybe it was overkill to get a spinner. The guy at Track Bowling said that all I needed was to do it by hand. He felt that a spinner wasn't essential to get a good finish on the ball. So many options...still a bit confused. The drill tool seemed pretty decent to use...but not sure if it's a good quality alternative. I see some mixed reviews on them. Some GREAT..some..not so great!
I don't feel a 2-speed spinner is necessary. Mine is their 1/3hp model, and is single speed. I have no problem completely resurfacing a ball, dull or shiny, or applying polish to a mirror finish if needed. Just have a good section of grits on hand from 360 to 4000, and then let the grit do the work. You don't have to press super hard at all. It's like sharpening a knife, where light pressure is better to get it scary sharp.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

chrt396 wrote: I've seriously been thinking about getting a spinner....but it seems as if I should invest in a 2 speed spinner to re-finish a dull ball.
Unless you have a proshop, you don't need a 2 speed spinner. Here's good quote from Ballspinner (who is John Jameson and is the President of Innovative):

Question:what is the need or purpose for a dual speed ball spinner?
ballspinner wrote: I get asked this question often. A dual speed spinner is great for high volume pro shops. A single speed spinner will do the job just as good as a dual speed it just takes a little longer to finish the ball.

A dual speed spinner actual sands the ball faster at the low speed. Many people get this confused thinking the higher speed polishes the ball "better" while it is actually the low speed that sands the ball faster. Using a heavier grit at a higher speed, the ball does not cut as easily.

The finished product will be the same on either machine. If you are a high volume shop with a line of customers and limited time before league starts go with the 2 speed otherwise a single speed will work just fine.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
chrt396

Post by chrt396 »

bowl1820 wrote:
Unless you have a proshop, you don't need a 2 speed spinner. Here's good quote from Ballspinner (who is John Jameson and is the President of Innovative):

Question:what is the need or purpose for a dual speed ball spinner?
Thanks for all the info guys!! Going with a single speed just freed up the bank a little and pushed me closer to getting one. I bought some Abrasion pads online...and received them yesterday. By hand...I tried using 500 grit first..then worked with 2000 grit. Took her down to the lanes tonight and it seemed as if i wasn't getting the action down lane that I WAS getting...but that might be cuz' I didn't use the 2000 grit as much. If I threw across lane...it didn't bite and hook as hard as it has been. Could be lane conditions...but I'll keep playing with it. I DO like to tinker!