Angle sum too low - what ball reaction has to be expected ?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

PlainUgly
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2
Speed: 18,3 off hand
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: RG No Rules
Medium Oil Ball: RG Devour
Light Oil Ball: Hammer BW Spare 2000 grit

Angle sum too low - what ball reaction has to be expected ?

Post by PlainUgly »

Hi everyone,

i am asking myself, which kind of ball reaction has to be expected, when angle sum has been chosen too low ?

Lets say the ball is a strong reactive symmetrical, low RG, high diff. and the DA / VA would be 30* each lower than they should be.

On light volume / THS patterns i would expect the ball to overreact because of early friction ?

But what will happen on longer patterns with higher volume ?
Does the ball will burn its energy before it sees friction ....resulting in a weak backend reaction ?
....or does energy will be retained until the ball sees friction ?

Thanks for enlighten me.
LittleTiger

Re: Angle sum too low - what ball reaction has to be expecte

Post by LittleTiger »

PlainUgly wrote:i am asking myself, which kind of ball reaction has to be expected, when angle sum has been chosen too low ?
Very good question. To be honest I'm not sure about everything but here is my opinions.

PlainUgly wrote:Lets say the ball is a strong reactive symmetrical, low RG, high diff. and the DA / VA would be 30* each lower than they should be.
First things first. I think that it is not possible to get as low drill angle than 30* to symmetrical ball because during drilling PSA will move to thumb hole and real drill angle is after that somewhere between 70-100* depending your PAP location.

Drill angle on symmetrical balls can be lowered using balance hole but it will be still more than 30*. So to be able to get 30* drill angle you need asymmetrical bowling ball.

PlainUgly wrote:On light volume / THS patterns i would expect the ball to overreact because of early friction ?
Small drill angle means that ball starts hook phase early and especially if there is strong coverstock/lot of surface it probably will start too early which makes very hard to keep ball on right side of 1 pin.

Too small VAL angle means that ball start roll too early and probably looses too much energy before hit pocket which will cause ugly splits.
PlainUgly wrote:But what will happen on longer patterns with higher volume ?
On longer patterns and especially on sport patterns smaller drill angles are useful because they will help ball slown down and loose too much axis rotation/axis tilt before hits backend which normally is more dry on sport patterns and that way prevents overreaction (look: http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ng_Layouts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

What happens when the totals are way too low?

On longer oil conditions the ball/core will start to orientate itself towards a roll and come off the end of the pattern without much reaction/change of direction.

On dryer conditions when friction is encountered early the ball will hook early and will roll very early and hit weak.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
PlainUgly
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2
Speed: 18,3 off hand
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Heavy Oil Ball: RG No Rules
Medium Oil Ball: RG Devour
Light Oil Ball: Hammer BW Spare 2000 grit

Post by PlainUgly »

Thanks again for the answers !

EricHartwell wrote:What happens when the totals are way too low?

On longer oil conditions the ball/core will start to orientate itself towards a roll and come off the end of the pattern without much reaction/change of direction.
So that would probably be the main reason, my older balls react more like a smooth curve than the designed angular shape they had ? ....beside the coverstock, that surly became weaker over the years.

When its not friction, it has to be gravity that forces the core* to orientate towards a roll early ?

* beeing layouted with angle sum too low

Or is that wrong ?