Manufacturer's drilling patterns

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveT55

Manufacturer's drilling patterns

Post by DaveT55 »

I've just recently started bowling again after a 30 year hiatus. Back then I was bowling leagues with a 180 average. Needless to say, the last ball I owned was a black Ebonite 15 pound rubber ball. So I went to the local pro shop and bought a Storm Tropical Breeze based on the Pro's recommendation. The reviews suggest it's a decent ball for entry to mid level bowlers. What didn't happen there was any measurements other then for custom drilling. And even there, the pattern he drilled int he ball doesn't match any of the 5 recommended by the manufacturer.

I'm guessing I'm the uninformed consumer here. Should the ball have been drilled to one of the recommended patterns?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Manufacturer's drilling patterns

Post by EricHartwell »

DaveT55 wrote:I've just recently started bowling again after a 30 year hiatus. Back then I was bowling leagues with a 180 average. Needless to say, the last ball I owned was a black Ebonite 15 pound rubber ball. So I went to the local pro shop and bought a Storm Tropical Breeze based on the Pro's recommendation. The reviews suggest it's a decent ball for entry to mid level bowlers. What didn't happen there was any measurements other then for custom drilling. And even there, the pattern he drilled int he ball doesn't match any of the 5 recommended by the manufacturer.

I'm guessing I'm the uninformed consumer here. Should the ball have been drilled to one of the recommended patterns?
Welcome to BowlingChat

There is basic information needed to accurately drill a ball customized to a particular bowler.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The manufacture's drill sheets are usually a good starting point but there are many other ways to drill a ball that can be effective as well.

Did the driller take the time and at least watch you bowl before drilling your ball?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand