School me with info.

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

trubenchoun
Preferred Company: Morich

School me with info.

Post by trubenchoun »

I have been bowling for years as a 210 ave bowler. I have finally got myself up to 228 after a few lessons and using Morich equip. Now the rookie in me just wants to know:

A pro shop guy orders a ball for me and seems they always suggest 2-3 oz top, 2-3" pin out, and CG/Pin/MB in line.

What does that mean for me? What will less or more Top weight do to my balls reaction. What if the pin is closer in or further out, and what will that do to my balls reaction? lastly, what does CG/Pin/MB in line mean and what if it's left or right, and what would that do to my balls reaction?

Thanks for the help.
-Jeremy

Ave 228
High game - 300
high series - 793
Ball Speed 18.5 mph
Rev Rate around 350
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave

Re: School me with info.

Post by kellytehuna »

Top weight, pin distance (to CG) and in line or out of line has more of an influence on the usable layouts available for that ball than it does ball dynamics. Remember, static weights account for 1% of total ball reaction.

The pin distance effects the usable layouts because we MUST stay within the antiquated static weight limits imposed on us by the USBC. As such, shorter pins (2.5" and under) will generally be used for pin down layouts, because it will allow us to keep the CG closer to the center of grip, or lower, while longer pins will generally be used for pin up layouts. When you consider that MOST PAP's have a vertical component that moves UP the VAL, you can begin to see why 3"+ pin outs are the most versatile pin outs.

If you intend to use low weight holes, you need the CG to be as low as possible and in the direction of the weight hole, since you will have to LARGE holes in that area. Since a 7/8" x 2 1/2" weight hole removes around 1.25oz of weight, while 1 1/4" x 2 1/2" will remove around 2oz of weight, you can see why top weights between 1oz to 3oz are the most practical.

In line and out of line CG is just another factor that COULD limit your options, depending in the distance and direction its out of line, simply because it controls where the CG is placed in the final layout.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
trubenchoun

Re: School me with info.

Post by trubenchoun »

That explanation helps out alot. I sure appreciate the insight.