Double thumb question

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Sguined
Preferred Company: Ebonite

Double thumb question

Post by Sguined »

So, has anyone who has done this layout on a ball ever flared over the weight hole? just curious, because i punched up a Columbia Bedlam with the Double Thumb layout and took it to 2000, threw it, rolls great. I noticed after it was pointed out to me that i indeed flare all the way around the ball and over the weight hole.

Brings me back to the days of the SD73 classic flaring completely around the whole ball haha
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Double thumb question

Post by Mo Pinel »

Sguined wrote:So, has anyone who has done this layout on a ball ever flared over the weight hole? just curious, because i punched up a Columbia Bedlam with the Double Thumb layout and took it to 2000, threw it, rolls great. I noticed after it was pointed out to me that i indeed flare all the way around the ball and over the weight hole.

Brings me back to the days of the SD73 classic flaring completely around the whole ball haha

Check my chat message. Too much hand. Check the PAP. Make the hole much smaller to start with. By the way, wrong label on the ball, maybe. Just funning!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Sguined

Post by Sguined »

sorry I havent replied in a timely manner Mo, kind of forgot about my question lol. I will re-check the PAP and map everything out again tomorrow. Thanks for the insight, always much appreciated.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Sguined wrote:sorry I havent replied in a timely manner Mo, kind of forgot about my question lol. I will re-check the PAP and map everything out again tomorrow. Thanks for the insight, always much appreciated.

Sounds to me that the PAP on that ball is different than you expected.
Sguined

Post by Sguined »

Mo Pinel wrote:
Sounds to me that the PAP on that ball is different than you expected.
Well, I re-mapped everything out, and everything was right, My PAP is 4 11/16 over, 13/16 up, drill angle is 55 degrees for the double thumb layout, checked pin distance, was 4", and angle to the VAL was 30 as its supposed to be. only thing i can think of that i didnt do completely like i should have is put the weight hole just a bit higher because there wasnt much thumb weight even after drilling the fingers really deep.

here is a picture of the ball all mapped out after it has been drilled.

http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae16 ... 171523.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Sguined wrote: Well, I re-mapped everything out, and everything was right, My PAP is 4 11/16 over, 13/16 up, drill angle is 55 degrees for the double thumb layout, checked pin distance, was 4", and angle to the VAL was 30 as its supposed to be. only thing i can think of that i didnt do completely like i should have is put the weight hole just a bit higher because there wasnt much thumb weight even after drilling the fingers really deep.

here is a picture of the ball all mapped out after it has been drilled.

http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae16 ... 171523.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It must flare over the thumb hole, too. You did everything right. Did you check the real PAP on this ball? Making the balance hole smaller may keep it from flaring over the thumb and balance hole. Plug the balance hole. Record the spin time (I believe you have a DeTerminator). Drill a 5/8ths balance hole 2 1/2" in the same place and check flare. Check PAP before and after the small balance hole is drilled. Spin it after the 5/8ths balance hole is drilled. Let's make an educational project out of this.
Sguined

Post by Sguined »

My mind isnt quite up to speed Mo, what do you mean by check the PAP? (the education starts now i guess haha)
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Sguined wrote:My mind isnt quite up to speed Mo, what do you mean by check the PAP? (the education starts now i guess haha)
Please find the exact PAP for this ball every time we change something about the balance hole. I expect the PAP of this ball to change slightly every time we do something with the balance hole. Please use the armadillo to find the PAP and confirm it by throwing the ball with a piece of tape on the PAP.