Pheonix XL Kustodion Ion...

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

j harvey

Pheonix XL Kustodion Ion...

Post by j harvey »

I have been trying to grasp why that the even lanes at a new house using HPL surface and a Pheonix XL Kustodion Ion machine appear to be 3 to 5 boards "dryer" than the odd lanes. I am not the only one that has noticed it.

Thoughts?
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Re: Pheonix XL Kustodion Ion...

Post by MattInTheHat »

Perhaps those lanes have been given out more often to open bowlers, so the lanes themselves are more worn?

There are a few lanes at my center like this, we only have bumpers on the lower end so those are the most used lanes and you can actually see the additional wear on the lanes compared to the higher ones.
j harvey

Post by j harvey »

Thanks for the reply...but it's on the "fresh". Should have mentioned that. The odds in our center do get more play due to the fact odd tables are up front. Open players like to sit closest to the lanes....
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

MattInTheHat wrote:Perhaps those lanes have been given out more often to open bowlers, so the lanes themselves are more worn?

There are a few lanes at my center like this, we only have bumpers on the lower end so those are the most used lanes and you can actually see the additional wear on the lanes compared to the higher ones.
I think what Matt is saying her is that the ACTUAL SURFACE on the lane, as in the part your ball is touching when its on the lane, has more physical wear on it than other lanes. If you lay a fresh shot over worn surface, you'll still see more friction than a fresh shot over a new surface. We saw that in play during the WSOB, where the finals were all bowled on older surfaces. Everyone said that the shot was MUCH tougher to keep on line, unless you were Sean Rash and could throw the thing 20+ mph consistently.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
j harvey

Post by j harvey »

I see. Topagraphy may be the problem. Thanks for pointing that out kelly. I did miss what matt was saying. Mark williams gave me this at another site...

Possibly something more major also. Topography plays the biggest part in certain lanes hooking more than others. During the install the middle gutter capping could be slightly higher than the rest of the lane causing the left to hook going downhill and the right going uphill will not hook as much. I changed lane machines 7 years ago and the same lanes still hook more.
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

That is indeed what I meant, thanks for clarifying.

We also found out at our last inspection that a few of our lanes (this time on the high end) are just barely in spec as far as their lean. So sometime this year we are going to have to pull all the gutter caps up and get underneath to shim and level them...fun stuff!