Bowling Ball Resurfacing

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Bowling Ball Resurfacing

Post by Glenn » November 23rd, 2021, 2:09 pm

I watched a Youtube video by Phil Cardinale about how often can you resurface your bowling ball.

My takeaway is that you can resurface your bowling ball as much as you see fit.
Assuming proper ball maintenance, the ball remains viable until its circumference is too small for the ball return.

What Phil didn't address is the USBC rules side of the equation.
USBC Playing Rules have ball diameter and circumference min/max requirements.
Also, the USBC requires that the ball be identifiable as a ball on the "Approved List".
And, this means that the ball have the original brand name/logo and some form of serial number be visible.

Although, Phil contends that they have very rarely seen the logo be totally removed (on Radical equipment?).
The center of the logo is usually a bit deeper than the edges so it would be most likely that the edges would disappear before the entire logo.
Even with the logo totally removed it would still pass the circumference rule, but not the identifiability rule.

In my experience, I've had several balls where the logo has disappeared prematurely (one in my basement right now).
And, I have observed older bowling balls in leagues with the logo and/or serial numbers sanded away.
This rule is generally ignored in the leagues here.

What is your take on this?

44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Bowling Ball Resurfacing

Post by 44boyd » November 24th, 2021, 1:19 pm

I see no competitive advantage gained unlike balance holes
Stacy

bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 » November 30th, 2021, 12:04 am

Glenn wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 2:09 pm
I watched a Youtube video by Phil Cardinale about how often can you resurface your bowling ball.

My takeaway is that you can resurface your bowling ball as much as you see fit.
Assuming proper ball maintenance, the ball remains viable until its circumference is too small for the ball return.

What Phil didn't address is the USBC rules side of the equation.
USBC Playing Rules have ball diameter and circumference min/max requirements.
Also, the USBC requires that the ball be identifiable as a ball on the "Approved List".
And, this means that the ball have the original brand name/logo and some form of serial number be visible.

Although, Phil contends that they have very rarely seen the logo be totally removed (on Radical equipment?).
The center of the logo is usually a bit deeper than the edges so it would be most likely that the edges would disappear before the entire logo.
Even with the logo totally removed it would still pass the circumference rule, but not the identifiability rule.

In my experience, I've had several balls where the logo has disappeared prematurely (one in my basement right now).
And, I have observed older bowling balls in leagues with the logo and/or serial numbers sanded away.
This rule is generally ignored in the leagues here.

What is your take on this?
1- unless your doing something really wrong sanding, you most likely will never sand a ball and make it too small. Depending on how the logos and serial were placed on a ball you might sand those off if their not engraved.(Note: the serial number may be engraved or re-engraved, plus it doesnt have to be the org.number)

2-There is no longer a size requirement for a drilled ball, They don't do the size rings anymore at tournaments.The USBC spec's are manufacturing specifications only now.

3-Yes most all leagues never bothered about the logos or ball size (unless it some big money thing and/or someone was complaining and that was usually in the past.), a serial numbers should be there though because they use to put those on award forms (I don't know if they still do)

This is from a email I got when I asked about this years back.

Question to USBC:
Does the rule for minimum ball size (8.500”) in the "Ball Manufacturing
Specifications"

Does it apply to a bowlers drilled ball?

Example:
Bowler has a older ball that do to shrinkage or resurfacing is below the
min. of 8.5", Is it still legal for use?

USBC reply:

Thank you for your question. Specifications for diameter (circumference) and roundness are manufacturing specifications only, they are not for the end user or the drilled ball. In the example you provided, the smaller ball would still be allowed for use during USBC certified competition as long as it still had the required markings (Brand Name/Logo, Ball Name, Serial Number) so the ball can be identified. For a long time there was size and roundness requirement on the drilled bowling balls at tournaments, but those specifications have since been removed.

Thank you,

Jason Milligan
Research Technician
Equipment Specifications & Certifications / Sport Bowling
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."

boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer » November 30th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Probably been removed as a smaller ball would be a detriment. . . so sand your ball down to 8"? Go ahead, no skin off my nose! LOL

I did have one ball that lost some of its label (Storm Eraser Boost - LOVED that ball)