New ball advice

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

bakdahelup

New ball advice

Post by bakdahelup »

I could use some ball advice, I've been out of the game for about 15 years, but getting into it with the kids on a weekly basis.
I have an old Rhino ball from the 90s, used to be in leagues averaged about 200 with a semi-fingertip grip. Didn't hurt then, but it hurts now.

Medium oil alley. I tend to throw it (Right handed) almost straight between the 5-10 arrow, 2nd half of the lane I get a long hook into the pocket.
I'm going to a fingertip grip and throw about 19mph.
I don't want an extreme hook, I also don't want to move to the left side of the lane for delivery.
It seems most of the balls I check out are either extreme action, or cheap spare balls.
I want to be able to pick up most spares with a new ball.

Red Line is my current delivery, basically straight down the 5-10 and long curve into the pocket.
Green is where I'd like to be, similar delivery, more late movement, but not extreme.
bowl.jpg
Would appreciate some recommendations
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: New ball advice

Post by 44boyd »

Radical “The Spy”
Stacy
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

Welcome back to bowling. Setting your priorities would put your bowling time with your children at number 1. Your priority should be to spend some 'quality' time with your kids.

I am not surprised that your hand hurts. After all those years away from bowling your hand would have changed, but the ball did not change. Get the ball redrilled, either conventional or fingertip, with those drillings the fingers go into the hole to a joint. With 'Semi fingertip' the fingers go between the two joints which results in a lot of pressure on the bone in the fingers between the joints.

If you decide to get back into league bowling, maybe even with your kids on the team, you can consider new equipment. But for the moment have fun with the family.
bakdahelup

Post by bakdahelup »

Thanks for the tip. I spend a lot of time with the kids, getting a new ball would have no effect. Actually they may want their own
ball too seeing me with a new one, so we'd spend more time together.
The rest of the ball looks like the surface of the moon. Deep gouges, it's a mess. I joke that my 15lb ball is now 14.5.
On high oil lanes, I rev it up and it doesn't move. I'd like some new equip after 31 years. Money is no issue. I'll use the old ball for the 6-10.