Drill Angle too high, but ball reaction still good ...how ?!

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

PlainUgly
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2
Speed: 18,3 off hand
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: RG No Rules
Medium Oil Ball: RG Devour
Light Oil Ball: Hammer BW Spare 2000 grit

Drill Angle too high, but ball reaction still good ...how ?!

Post by PlainUgly »

Hey guys,

one of our new clubmembers asked me to collect his data and compare with his given arsenal.
First said, for me he really is a good bowler with a league average around 190 on sportspattern, he hits his breakpoints quite well and he makes his adjustments when lanes change. He can go deep and outside with big angle or als play thight to the pocket, his ball reaction is good with heavy roll after 2nd transition.

His specs are:

Righthanded
Speed ( off hand ): 18 mph
RPM: 350
AT: 14°
AR:
PAP: 5 1/4

So with 95° anglesum and a ratio of 1,6:1 the following layouts should be right:
benchmark: 55x40
control: 60x55
long&strong:75x40
midlane:50x25
totally strong: 40x35

Then i checked his balls to look after the given layouts and i started getting confused. His Drill-Angles are way to high, so how it can be that his ball reaction still is that good ?

Motiv Cruel / RG 2.48 / Diff 0.060 / Int. Diff. 0.030 ( surface unknown, not ootb )
DA: 90°
Pin/PAP: 3,5"
VA: 30°

Hammer Jigsaw / RG 2.48 / Diff 0.051 / Int. Diff. 0.020 ( surface unknown, not ootb )
DA: 100°
Pin/PAP: 3"
VA: 55°

Storm Phaze II/ RG 2.48 / Diff 0.050 / ( surface unknown, not ootb )
DA: 80°
Pin/PAP: 4 1/2"
VA: 40°

Storm IQ Tour Edition / RG 2.49 / Diff 0.029 / ( surface unknown, not ootb )
DA: 85°
Pin/PAP: 5"
VA: 30°

Storm Hyroad / RG 2.52 / Diff 0.058 / ( 1500 polished ootb )
DA: 80°
Pin/PAP: 4 1/2"
VA: 50°

Storm Frantic / RG 2.53 / Diff 0.045 / ( surface unknown, not ootb )
DA: 95°
Pin/PAP: 3,5"
VA: 50°

So how can it be ? Does influence of DrillAngle is that small ?
Does his surface adjustment outweigh the longer DA ?

He wanted me to drill a new ball with a long&strong layout. He thinks about a RG Eternal Cell ( RG 2.52 / Diff 0.056 / Int. Diff. 0.018 / 1500 polished )

75° x 4 1/2" x 40° was my idea, but looking at his actual ballreactions, i am not sure if this ball will be long enough ?

I have to mention that he oftens chances surface for tuning ball reaction, especially the Storm frantic has a early read with strong arc.....that shouldnt be so, right ?

What do u think ?

Thanks for advice !
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Drill Angle too high, but ball reaction still good ...ho

Post by EricHartwell »

Surface is king.
Many people discount surface and think the layout alone creates the shot shape.
This is just not true. Surface prep is the number one factor with the layout fine tuning the reaction.

If a bowler can find friction on the lane and use it to his advantage, a ball drilled with a less than desirable layout can still be made to hook and roll. Especially when using dull surfaces.
PlainUgly wrote:I have to mention that he oftens chances surface for tuning ball reaction, especially the Storm frantic has a early read with strong arc.....that shouldnt be so, right ?
If he is finding early friction with the help of a dull surface on the ball that is exactly what I would expect.

I have the Jigsaw Corner with a low flare layout on it and with an 800 grit surface on it is one of my strongest/earliest balls. If I shine it up it skids for days.

deanchamp had stated in a post recently that when he knows a bowler is going to use a lot of surface on a ball he stresses less about the layout.
viewtopic.php?f=15&p=109779#p109779" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deanchamp wrote:There is a lot to consider with layouts, and I'm becoming more mindful of friction each year - with the coverstocks and the lane. Bowlers are also using much more surface than OOB on their balls than ever before, which can sometime override the layout. I've learnt not to stress over 5 degrees here or there for the dual angles if I know the bowler is going to hit the ball with 1000 grit.

I'm always considering the amount of flare too, as I've found a benchmark of 95 with a 4" pin to PAP (symm or assym) can get to the pin to spin line too quickly on low RG/high diff balls, and they are sometimes best served with less flaring pin to PAP lengths.

And yes the loss of balance holes will take away some of the fine tuning that can be done. Thinking about it now, slightly weaker layouts could be compensated with more surface, but stronger layouts won't always be better with less surface.
The Asymmetrical balls with drilling angles you are considering too high are high differential balls with high flaring layouts surface unknown. Dull surfaces?

The Eternal Cell is 1500 grit polished. That is a long and Strong surface prep.
I would lay it out 85-4-40.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
PlainUgly
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2
Speed: 18,3 off hand
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Heavy Oil Ball: RG No Rules
Medium Oil Ball: RG Devour
Light Oil Ball: Hammer BW Spare 2000 grit

Post by PlainUgly »

Yes, dull surfaces. I would say between 500 and 2000 Abralon .

Does one can say 60% surface, 20% core, 20% layout considering ball reaction ? ...not counted proper execution :)
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

PlainUgly wrote:Does one can say 60% surface, 20% core, 20% layout considering ball reaction ? ...not counted proper execution :)
If you are going to keep the coverstock to be 60% of the ball motion core and layout need to be complimentary. Like strong core with a strong layout. If you go weak core and weak layout the coverstock is going to be more like 90% of the reaction. Go with a zero flare layout and you have a reaction that is 100% based on the cover.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand