Layout advice for ancient lefty

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Layout advice for ancient lefty

Post by jdrsuper »

Re-posted from Sunday July 8th Layout Advice because of no responses.
I'm getting a Black Widow urethane 12 lbs. I recently, about 2 months ago went down to 12 from 13 because of shoulder problems for this 78 year old lefty. My new 12 lb arsenal consists of a Track Logix drilled for longer sport shots and a Track Paradox drilled for shorter sport shots and an Ebonite Maxim with negative side weight for the seven pins a some other left side spares. My specs are in my signature but I think my speed of my hand is probably 11 to 12 and no longer 13 based on what i see on the monitors where I bowl. I am looking for the urethane when the shot doesn't match up to what it is supposed to be and neither the Logix or Paradox work. Thanks to all for any advice on the layout for this ball. One other thing I realize that on my existing Logix and Paradox the cores are different than the 14 to 16 lb balls and the widow urethane at 12 lbs will not have the Gas Mask core.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
RightyComplex
THS Average: 221
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 left, 1/2 up
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 12

Re: Layout advice for ancient lefty

Post by RightyComplex »

You are correct in them not having the same cores as its heavier balls. With that being said I would treat it like a symmetrical and understand that for the most part you are paying for the cover. Adjust the surface as needed. Use your favorite layout. Matter of fact, I would get the Purple Urethane instead because it has a stronger cover than the Black that's on both the Black and Widow Urethane's.
James C. Jones, Innovative Bowling Products Certified Pro Shop Operator
Orbdrillers Pro Shop, Petersburg, Virginia
Local IBEW 666, Journeyman Wireman
Rev Dominant, Lefty
16.5 mph, 300 rpms, 12* of Tilt, PAP: 5.5" left x 1" up
jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Re: Layout advice for ancient lefty

Post by jdrsuper »

RightyComplex wrote:You are correct in them not having the same cores as its heavier balls. With that being said I would treat it like a symmetrical and understand that for the most part you are paying for the cover. Adjust the surface as needed. Use your favorite layout. Matter of fact, I would get the Purple Urethane instead because it has a stronger cover than the Black that's on both the Black and Widow Urethane's.
Thanks for the information, Friday I went to my Pro shop and we checked my PAP using a reactive resin paradox and a plastic maxim, along with my other specs. The only thing that changed was my PAP and that was instead of 1 1/8 up its just 1 up all other specs remained the same. I got the Widow urethane that I had ordered and drilled it 50 x 4 3/4 X 40. I will follow your advice and adjust cover as needed. Because of my high axis rotation and slow speed I try not to get too aggressive covers, which are hard for me to control, so I will not get the purple Hammer. I bowled two games on a house shot with the widow and had to stand on 30 throwing it out to 5 at the breakpoint around 45 to hold the pocket. This weekend at my local ABT we are bowling at the one house that doesn't put out a sport shot, we use mostly PBA patterns but they useually put out a reverse block that I hope this new urethane will work well on. Thanks again.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.