The 2018 Urethane Ball Thread

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Nord
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Re: The 2018 Urethane Ball Thread

Post by Nord »

mrbean wrote:here are a two urethane balls on ebay that look interesting.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Pro-NIB ... SwdnZaGZwy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brunswick-Twis ... SwjVVViCBi
didn't know wilson made bowling balls, and the twister seems kind of like the grizz cause it has this core
wilson has this core
A Wilson Pro Staff Bowling ball!
Brings back good memories.
I was a big tennis player and had a Wilson Pro Staff tennis racket (A real wood one) and it was a very nice racket. Funny.
The Wilson looks like it has the Rack Attack Core in it.
You asked for that core in a Urethane ball, well here it is.
Full Roller
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 145
Ball speed: 13 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 269 bowled with Pitch Black.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Ok Nord just a quick update, Got the Plague punched up. PSO said this layout should give me control on the backend. I could go down the outside if I wanted or play in.

I only had a chance to roll one game (League coming in) to check the grip (I made grip changes and used a new P.A.P. location).

But it looked good, the lanes had some oil, had a few strikes and nine counts, a couple of bad shots getting used to the grip at the start. But I was just hitting a few different lines to see whats what.

Stood right went down about 5, ball picked up the midlane and started angling toward the pocket & "X". Stood 25 and went between 2nd & 3rd it went out a little to the track and started angling toward the pocket & "X".

I was surprised when I rolled it through the oil in the middle, It came back with about 3.5" flare.

Can't wait to see it on league, I used my Faball Burgundy hammer for 2 games on the fresh last league night so I'd have a Urethane to compare it to.
pyramid pathogen plague layout sm.JPG
Update:
They have it up on bowlingball.com now. $80 (2 year warranty)
https://www.bowlingball.com/products/bo ... -item.html

Their reaction video:
[youtube][/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Nord

Post by Nord »

Looks like a nice, normal urethane type reaction.
Very controlled.
You can see that it is not splitting the 8-9, but rather producing an old school strike, where the 5 is taking out the 8 as the ball deflects through the pocket.
Very nice. And good that you can play it in different parts of the lane.
I forgot what you said your release specs were.

Now compare the reaction of the "Plague" to the "Widow Urethane."
You will see how differently they are playing the two balls.
The "Widow" is so strong due to that core, that they can swing it, while the "Plague" is best played like normal urethane.

[youtube][/youtube]
Full Roller
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Nord wrote: I forgot what you said your release specs were.
I need to update these now that I changed my grip again.

Speed is about 15 off the hand, revs about 200-250, tilt about 13°, rotation about 60°
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Okay my first look at the Pathogen Plague Urethane.
Fresh oil, 41' THS pattern, Pro anvil lanes (First off the changes to my grip, really helped with holding on to my ball and allowed me to relax my grip and my arm swing started loosing up.)

Here you can see my basic ball path, I stayed there the whole night. The shot really didn't change for me. If I pulled the ball, it would hold the line and didn't jump off the end of the pattern. I'd go through the nose (the splits seen below) or just go brooklyn for a X or the 6-10 leave.

If I leaked out the ball had more recovery than I thought it would. Considering my low revs, I got a good 3.5" of flare as you can see in the picture below. I either got pocket or the two washouts or the 2-4-5.

My speed was averaging about 14.5 at the pins (max 15) the whole night, which was up to what I have been doing lately.

Third game it really started coming together, I really focused on what I learned the first two games.

IMO the Plague looks to be a good solid urethane, It had a good solid roll into the pins. The ball had what I'd call the classic 10 in the pit strikes, where you see the pins get blew back into the pit. As far as corners I only popped one 10 pin and the two 7's.

I'll try to get some video when I can, I couldn't really set it up tonight.

Click for larger ball path image:

Click for larger ball image:

Click for larger image:
storminyoung
THS Average: 202
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4" over by 3/4" up
Speed: 17.5-18 off the hand
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 10*
Axis Rotation: 45*
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Fight
Medium Oil Ball: G900 Boost
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Black
Preferred Company: Storm/Roto

Post by storminyoung »

Got a chance to drill up a Shadow Ops the other day. Really impressed with this ball, will make a nice step up or maybe replacement for my Pitch Black. Went to a house I typically struggle at, old wood house with notoriously dry lanes, and got a few shots on they're fresh THS to compare reactions with.
First video - 3 balls from weakest (Tropical Breeze) to A step up ( Shadow Ops) to Benchmark (Jet Armor). Breeze and Armor layouts - 90*x3.75"x45* (pin beside ring, CG center of palm) and Shadow Ops - 60*x5"x45* (pin above bridge, MB just right of thumb).
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2nd clip is just a shot on a beat up shot in a synthetic house.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stats:
17mph (on the monitor)
10* tilt
30-50* rotation
450 rpm
Nord

Post by Nord »

bowl1820 wrote:Okay my first look at the Pathogen Plague Urethane.
Fresh oil, 41' THS pattern, Pro anvil lanes (First off the changes to my grip, really helped with holding on to my ball and allowed me to relax my grip and my arm swing started loosing up.)

Here you can see my basic ball path, I stayed there the whole night. The shot really didn't change for me. If I pulled the ball, it would hold the line and didn't jump off the end of the pattern. I'd go through the nose (the splits seen below) or just go brooklyn for a X or the 6-10 leave.

If I leaked out the ball had more recovery than I thought it would. Considering my low revs, I got a good 3.5" of flare as you can see in the picture below. I either got pocket or the two washouts or the 2-4-5.

My speed was averaging about 14.5 at the pins (max 15) the whole night, which was up to what I have been doing lately.

Third game it really started coming together, I really focused on what I learned the first two games.

IMO the Plague looks to be a good solid urethane, It had a good solid roll into the pins. The ball had what I'd call the classic 10 in the pit strikes, where you see the pins get blew back into the pit. As far as corners I only popped one 10 pin and the two 7's.

I'll try to get some video when I can, I couldn't really set it up tonight.

Click for larger ball path image:

Click for larger ball image:

Click for larger image:
Looks real good!
How was the oil handling ability of the ball?
As it got saturated did it lose its hitting power?
On your first shot did it hook like crazy and then each successive shot it got weaker until it settled in?
Full Roller
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Nord wrote: Looks real good!
How was the oil handling ability of the ball?
As it got saturated did it lose its hitting power?
On your first shot did it hook like crazy and then each successive shot it got weaker until it settled in?
The first shot didn't hook like "crazy", By the time warm up was done the reaction was fairly consistent though and IMO the ball stayed fairly consistent for all the games.

I made a point of keeping it wiped down good with my leather shammy, so the reaction would stay more consistent. To me that's a key with urethane, keeping it wiped down (Can't put my finger on it, But I think the shammy was a bit more effective on it than the resin)

Looking at the ball surface afterwards (after cleaning at the end of series) the texture hadn't really changed, like you would see on a resin ball (I didn't see a track, like I would on my resin ball after the same use.). So I want to say the surface wasn't changing as fast as it does on resin (but without a scanner I can't say for sure).
Nord

Post by Nord »

bowl1820 wrote:
The first shot didn't hook like "crazy", By the time warm up was done the reaction was fairly consistent though and IMO the ball stayed fairly consistent for all the games.

I made a point of keeping it wiped down good with my leather shammy, so the reaction would stay more consistent. To me that's a key with urethane, keeping it wiped down (Can't put my finger on it, But I think the shammy was a bit more effective on it than the resin)

Looking at the ball surface afterwards (after cleaning at the end of series) the texture hadn't really changed, like you would see on a resin ball (I didn't see a track, like I would on my resin ball after the same use.). So I want to say the surface wasn't changing as fast as it does on resin (but without a scanner I can't say for sure).
Good, a strong durable urethane is great.
And one that isn't affect much by oil is better.
The first shot in practice with all my urethane balls is massive overhook.
Then during practice I don't wipe the ball at all to allow it to reach equilibrium as fast as possible so I can quickly realize where on the lane I need to play.
By the 5th shot the ball has enough oil in it and then I wipe it and I can figure out the best line.
Then I wipe it from then on during play.

My Midnight Scorcher however does not care about oil.
You don't have to wipe it at all, it just plows through any volume.
The Widow doesn't need much wiping either, unless the volume is high.
Actually, one strategey I employ if the lanes are getting depleted of oil and I see my urethane hooking too early, is to not wipe them once that condition presents itself.
I want the oil to build up in the ball so I can get the length I need since the lane has been depleted by all the resin cheater balls.
Full Roller
Nord

Post by Nord »

Ok MegaMav, this one is for you!

You asked for it and now you are getting it.
I performed the experiment you wanted.
Can a Rack Attack Solid be made to have a urethane ball motion, but with more hitting power?
In order to find out, I took my Radical Rack Attack Solid, which is drilled with a low flare layout for Full Rollers, pin 1 1/4" from palm center and I prepped the ball by hand wet swirl sanding it through these three grits: 320/500/1000.
I then took it to Kearny Mesa Bowl which has the Brunswick Pro Anvilane surface with the Big Ben pattern.
I started with my "A Game."
Roll it right up second arrow.
Below is the video from that session.
Tell me what you think, it this what you were shooting for?

[youtube][/youtube]
Full Roller
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Strrrrrike fest!!!
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Nord

Post by Nord »

TonyPR wrote:Strrrrrike fest!!!
Lol!
But, tonight at a different house, Parkway Bowl, the Rack Attack you saw in the video, would not even grab the lane and had zero reaction!
What happened to that great reaction I had at Kearny?
What happened to that backend drive?
Parkway had far too much oil and no defined backend.
It was ugly in game 1 with the Rack Attack.
But...for games 2 and 3, I was able to pull out my Grizz, which was able to get some roll and control the pocket.
I bowled 27 pins over my average on game 2 and 39 pins over my average in game 3.
So true, vintage urethane, was able to combat the lanes, while the Rack Attack would do zero.
This tells me that a reactive resin ball can never replace a urethane ball.
When the backends are carried down, reactive will not react, but on the same carried down condition, urethane will roll up and carry.
Full Roller
56bird

Post by 56bird »

So I bowled against a guy Monday night, he changed balls several times and rolled a Widow Urethane at times. I didn’t recognize most of the others although one was for sure a shiny Dare Devil Danger.

The Widow outhooked everything else he rolled by quite a bit, I’m talking “crossed over Brooklyn” outhooked. Had me :shock: It also had a tendency to leave a lot behind whether it was corners, bucket style leaves... I just felt like for him to get this ball to the pocket he had to cover so many boards that it seemed to run out of gas. Some good solid strikes too, don’t get me wrong. I think it was at OOB, looked like a hunk of charcoal. Just a data point.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Nord wrote: What happened to that great reaction I had at Kearny?
What happened to that backend drive?
Parkway had far too much oil and no defined backend.
It was ugly in game 1 with the Rack Attack.
But...for games 2 and 3, I was able to pull out my Grizz, which was able to get some roll and control the pocket.
I bowled 27 pins over my average on game 2 and 39 pins over my average in game 3.
So true, vintage urethane, was able to combat the lanes, while the Rack Attack would do zero.
This tells me that a reactive resin ball can never replace a urethane ball.
When the backends are carried down, reactive will not react, but on the same carried down condition, urethane will roll up and carry.
Nord, what was the surface on the Rack Attack Solid? The 1000 after a few games is going to be more like 4000/5000. Did you add surface and did that improve the reaction?

I don't think the issue here is urethane vs reactive. It's what does each cover look like and how does that match up with the lane condition. Your Grizz matched up better - but are you comparing apples to apples, or apples to oranges?

I drilled a Black Widow Urethane last weekend and it looked dynamite on Middle of the Road (39', 4:1, Challenge) after a few games. Smoother and more consistent than a strong solid asym like my Eternal Cell. I could move in, I could go straight up 7. Strike, strike, strike. It just carried every shot.

After a few games, making adjustments, I just couldn't carry my 10 pins. My teammate was having the same issue and he thought I has pushed oil downlane, but I was skeptical. As much as that ball flares, I thought it unlikely - but perhaps.

I stayed on the same line, and pulled out my factory Primo (500/compound) and the reaction was dramatically better. Finished with 235, 235. Does this mean reactive is superior to urethane? No. It means for ME on that PARTICULAR CONDITION it was better.

An hour earlier the urethane BW looked better than any of my reactives. Then the condition changed.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
gunso

Post by gunso »

i tried the shadow ops from a friend of mine on a 40 feet sport conpliant shot and man does not thing have a unique roll. could play a similiar line as my crow urethane but with a lot different ball motion, it reved up really early and I thought it would overreact to the dry but it was much smoother off the dry than the crow. so even though they had similiar board coverage, shadow ops maybe board or 2 less on that line on that pattern the ball motion was noticeably different front to back. that ball looks special. I am definetly getting one of those. the crow would defibetly have more board coverage when swingin the lane some more then in the 7 to 5 range

sumo had to be thrown a lot slower at the same line for comparison sake.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Okay a little video of the plague not my best night leg was a bit stiff so couldn't get lower and balance was off, but the bad shot reactions show more than the good.

This was the first game of the night, Fresh oil, 41' THS pattern. These lanes are where they started oiling, they burned them first. The second shot(3rd frame) I think was the best line

Next two games tanked my speed kept creeping up in GM2 and I was coming in light, I tried changing speed and moving in but it messed me all up. End of the Game 3 I finally figured it out, I moved back right and firmed up my release & up the speed to strike out the 10th.

Been a while since I rolled urethane, have to get my mind back on how to adjust with it.

something to note was, the resin ball users were leaving the same spares i was. Light leaves Like the 5-7 kept cropping up.

[youtube][/youtube]
Nord

Post by Nord »

stevespo wrote: Nord, what was the surface on the Rack Attack Solid? The 1000 after a few games is going to be more like 4000/5000. Did you add surface and did that improve the reaction?
The Rack was finished at 320/500/1000.
It still had a ton of dullness after my practice session at Kearny.
It was definitely the Parkway lanes having no clear defined house shot.
The backends were not squeaky clean.
The 500 grit Grizz was able to roll through the oil and grab, while the Rack did that reactive resin thing, which is to slide much longer and react much later.
Problem is, the Rack would just go too long and when it did grab, it was super lazy and late.
Like I said before, without a dry, defined backend, reactive will not react properly.
Urethane does not have this issue, it hooks early and can roll through that carry down.
Full Roller
Nord

Post by Nord »

bowl1820 wrote:Okay a little video of the plague not my best night leg was a bit stiff so couldn't get lower and balance was off, but the bad shot reactions show more than the good.

This was the first game of the night, Fresh oil, 41' THS pattern. These lanes are where they started oiling, they burned them first. The second shot(3rd frame) I think was the best line

Next two games tanked my speed kept creeping up in GM2 and I was coming in light, I tried changing speed and moving in but it messed me all up. End of the Game 3 I finally figured it out, I moved back right and firmed up my release & up the speed to strike out the 10th.

Been a while since I rolled urethane, have to get my mind back on how to adjust with it.

something to note was, the resin ball users were leaving the same spares i was. Light leaves Like the 5-7 kept cropping up.
You bowl just like Curlie Becton from bowlingball.com!

[youtube][/youtube]
Full Roller
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Nord wrote: You bowl just like Curlie Becton from bowlingball.com!
Yeah he's one of the ones I look at, The other is Wayne Porter at Laneside.

[youtube][/youtube]
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

Finally got my 900G Shadow Ops, just tested some 5-6 shots on a well-worn 41ft 4.5:1 25ml shot, and this ball MOVES! Can't wait till tomorrow to test it on a fresh pattern!
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!