Head over ball over pinky toe

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
dukeblue1987
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5 right x 1/8 up
Speed: 15-16
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Anything smooth with a lot of surface
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road
Light Oil Ball: Ebonite Puma
Preferred Company: Storm

Head over ball over pinky toe

Post by dukeblue1987 »

Hey Mo,

Just a few questions. I see that you give many recommendations about getting the chin over the pinky toe of the right foot and the ball under the chin. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you call this the shift bowl technique. I have a few questions pertaining to this.

1. How do you suggest setting up in the stance? My though process is something like this. I start by lining up my left foot parallel to the boards. I then place my right foot and open up my foot and hips to match the trajectory. I then try to place the ball and my head in the appropriate places. This feels very awkward and uncomfortable. I feel like my spine is very curved, like the letter C. I wouldn't say it feels painful, but uncomfortable. I'm 23 and in good shape, so I think I'm doing something wrong. Am I correct to assume that there should be a lot of weight on my right foot?

If I start straight up and move my feet left I can get into a comfortable position with everything in line. Unfortunately this is not realistic as it is near impossible to line up with any accuracy or precision. I need to figure out how to plant my feet, and then move the upper body into a comfortable and correct position. Any ideas? I hope this makes sense.

2. Do you recommend placing the ball side elbow in front of or beside the hip bone. I assume in front, so that the hinge can go straight to the target?

On Edit

3. Can you think of any pro's that do a good job of this? I think it would be helpful to see a picture or video.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

These looks pretty good I think.

2nd Edit

It's really annoying that I can't respond to my OWN post in this forum. I understand that you want certified coaches only, but is there anyway to let the originally poster respond?

Anyways, thanks for the advice MO. Apologies for mixing up your coaching terminology. I practiced my stance in front of a full length mirror tonight. This helped a lot. I was way over compensating, which is why it felt uncomfortable.

I've been working on my swing plane a lot, and I think this will make it all come together. When I set up properly in front of the mirror, my 2nd and 4th steps cross over perfectly (5 step approach). Hopefully this translate onto the lanes.
Last edited by dukeblue1987 on June 15th, 2010, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Shift bowl technique

Post by Mo Pinel »

dukeblue1987 wrote:Hey Mo,

Just a few questions. I see that you give many recommendations about getting the chin over the pinky toe of the right foot and the ball under the chin. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you call this the shift bowl technique. I have a few questions pertaining to this.

1. How do you suggest setting up in the stance? My though process is something like this. I start by lining up my left foot parallel to the boards. I then place my right foot and open up my foot and hips to match the trajectory. I then try to place the ball and my head in the appropriate places. This feels very awkward and uncomfortable. I feel like my spine is very curved, like the letter C. I wouldn't say it feels painful, but uncomfortable. I'm 23 and in good shape, so I think I'm doing something wrong. Am I correct to assume that there should be a lot of weight on my right foot?

If I start straight up and move my feet left I can get into a comfortable position with everything in line. Unfortunately this is not realistic as it is near impossible to line up with any accuracy or precision. I need to figure out how to plant my feet, and then move the upper body into a comfortable and correct position. Any ideas? I hope this makes sense.

2. Do you recommend placing the ball side elbow in front of or beside the hip bone. I assume in front, so that the hinge can go straight to the target?

On Edit

3. Can you think of any pro's that do a good job of this? I think it would be helpful to see a picture or video.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

These looks pretty good I think.
"SHIFT/BOWL" IS CADENCE! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BODY POSITION!

1. Yes, all your weight should be on your right foot (if you're right handed) in the stance. Then you shift your weight to your left foot and bowl (if you take four steps). "Shift/bowl" is nothing more than a five step approach with a pre-set first step.

2. The elbow belongs behind the hip! Your assumption of in front is 100% wrong.

3. The answer is in front of you about the head and ball and elbow position. TJ does it perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK!!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)