Video for proper analysis

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: deanchamp, TonyPR, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Trackfan87
THS Average: 210
Speed: 17.5 mph overall
Rev Rate: 425
Heavy Oil Ball: 300 T
Medium Oil Ball: 503 C
Light Oil Ball: 300 A
Preferred Company: Track

Video for proper analysis

Post by Trackfan87 » February 11th, 2013, 6:41 am

This is a little more current. It was taken today. :) I tried out putting my hand in front of the ball to shorten my push away but otherwise I didn't do too much different. I don't like to change more than one thing at a time. I noticed the ball was a little far away from my leg. I believe it's normally a little closer inside. I didn't have much time to warm up and get these shots before the league started. Anyways I hope this provides a better view.

Thanks again!

[youtube][/youtube]

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Average ball speed is 17.5 mph overall and approximate rev rate is 400-450 rpm.

JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Video for proper analysis

Post by JMerrell » February 11th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Back view
1) Address looks good so let’s start from the first step.
Everything still looking good at this point.
2) During B3 your ball placement is outside the right shoulder and moves even further right during B4.
3) From the ball position in B4, gravity will assist the back swing in achieving the position seen in B6 (left of the head).
4) When the swing gets that far left of the head at the top (B6), it often becomes very inside out on the way down and through release.
5) Your saving factor is the lateral move right of the ball position from B7 to B8 before it moves downward.

I suggest you spend your practice time working on the ball placement position during your second step. Get the ball positioned more in front of the shoulder/head (inside green circle) and this will correct things currently seen happening afterwards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » February 11th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Question for Jim -
I suggest you spend your practice time working on the ball placement position during your second step. Get the ball positioned more in front of the shoulder/head (inside green circle) and this will correct things currently seen happening afterwards.
Any merit to practicing the ball placement while standing close to a wall on the throwing side?

This could be done away from the bowling center using a prop in lieu of a bowling ball, something approximating the diameter of a bowling ball that perhaps has a little weight to it and is easily grasped? If this is a good thing, then it's all the better given time and expense constraints.

Just wondering?
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell » February 12th, 2013, 3:02 pm

kajmk wrote:Question for Jim -
Any merit to practicing the ball placement while standing close to a wall on the throwing side?
Just wondering?
Good question, John.

I believe in my myriad of posts I suggested a similar drill, standing close to a wall at home while practicing the placement step.

On the lanes during a lesson, I will often hold a piece of poster in the appropriate area and follow the student up the approach.

As usual, our imagination is our only limitation.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » February 12th, 2013, 11:46 pm

I believe in my myriad of posts I suggested a similar drill, standing close to a wall at home while practicing the placement step.
--- Jim Merrell

:) For all I know, you were the seed of that thought in my head.

Occasionally when I think I have a good idea, I'm frequently wrong and when I am right, I find out that someone else had it a few centuries ago. :lol:

I like the "poster" idea.

A light weight portable wall.

Thanks for the reply and for all you do for the sport and the bowlers.

You continue to GIVE!
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John