Teaching kids

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Sawbones
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Teaching kids

Post by Sawbones »

We know confidence plays such a great role in how one performs so I was wondering if it is better that young bowlers in a junior program should be taught on a soft condition as a means of helping them gain confidence or would teaching them on a more difficult condition help to keep from their getting spoiled by being able to make mistakes and still see good results?
Rest In Peace
Passed 10/20/2009 - Muskogee OK
Age 83
Oklahoma State Hall of Fame
paulv
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4 on midline
Speed: 15-16
Rev Rate: 300
Heavy Oil Ball: Defiant Soul
Medium Oil Ball: Scream
Light Oil Ball: Sream
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Re: Teaching kids

Post by paulv »

Sawbones wrote:We know confidence plays such a great role in how one performs so I was wondering if it is better that young bowlers in a junior program should be taught on a soft condition as a means of helping them gain confidence or would teaching them on a more difficult condition help to keep from their getting spoiled by being able to make mistakes and still see good results?
This is not an either or question. I find it is OK to use "softer" condition to teach junior bowlers. Confidence is needed and quick results from soft conditions does help. The progress for a junior bowler does have to include more challenging conditions, the key is when should a coach subject the junior bowler to that. I tend to wait until I'm confident a tougher patterns won't decrease the players confidence and I wouldn't keep a junior bowler on a tough pattern all the time. Junior bowlers need to have fun too, it can't always be work. Tough patterns are great tools to help with accuracy, learning new releases, reading lanes and they help keep a player humble without destroying the progress or confidence.

So to answer the question both are needed to insure a well rounded, solid performance from junior bowlers and seasoned bowlers as well. Training on all types of conditions is critical for confidence and performance. If harder patterns are used for training purposes, they will be more accurate when bowling on a softer pattern.

PaulV