Ball tracking over middle finger hole

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
rschwind

Ball tracking over middle finger hole

Post by rschwind »

So I’m pretty new to bowling, and throw using the 2-handed no-thumb release (right-handed). About a month and a half ago I decided to take it a bit more seriously and get my own ball, and have now joined a league. My scoring isn’t too terrible, as I’m averaging just under 170 through the first two weeks of league. I feel like I’ve finally found a consistent release, but I’ve noticed a couple issues that I’m hoping someone can help me with.

1.) The oil track on my ball goes right over the middle finger hole on almost all of my shots. I can even hear the ball thumping down the lane.

2.) From what I can tell, I get almost no flare. I only see ONE oil ring on my ball. For reference, when I throw my friends ball with 1 hand and a thumb in, I get a track to the left of the holes and I can see multiple oil lines (which I believe is what flare is?)

Can anyone see any glaring issues with my release? My guess is that I’m too far around the side/bottom of the ball at release, and don’t stay behind the ball enough. However when I try to stay behind the ball it appears to just change the direction of the roll (i.e. more forward roll) and I just get less hook and still track over the middle finger.

I’ve already gotten the ball redrilled to adjust the pitch in my fingers, as my PSO said that might help, but this was likely a mechanics/release issue.

I’ve attached a video below, and welcome and suggestions on how to fix this issue, as well as any other critiques or parts of my form/release to work on.

Thanks in advance!
-Rick

https://youtube.com/shorts/IYQJ2baSiK4
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Re: Ball tracking over middle finger hole

Post by deanchamp »

Hi Rick, sorry for the late reply, your post must have flown under my radar.

I think your release looks ok. Looking at the ball you may have very low or zero tilt, maybe slightly negative, which may cause the initial track to be over your middle finger.

What ball did you get? What layout is on it? Even if your first track if over the middle finger, it will usually flare away from it, and the higher revs 2-handers generate should help this to happen as well.

Release.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor