off balance hop

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
boatman37

off balance hop

Post by boatman37 »

I have this off-balance hop that I can't correct. I have got a little better by slowing down but still there. I bowled in leagues from about 12 years old (1981ish) until 2002 then started again 2 years ago. No idea if I had this hop before but if I did I never noticed it. I had a 193 average in 2002 and currently at 185.

This video is from 2 years ago when I first returned and I was using an OOB Hammer Black Widow Gold. I am most comfortable playing the line in the video standing about 20 and targeting 7 at the arrows (give or take based on lane conditions). This is my ideal line but will move in if need be. I have never had my specs checked but my revs are approximately 300-325 and speed at the pins is about 16 but in this video probably closer to 17-17.5. I have slowed down quite a bit since then.

There isn't a large selection of coaches in my area but my wife works with a girl that went through the Dick Ritger school so I may have her come out with me. Our center just closed today due to the virus so likely done until fall league starts back up.

Probably doesn't matter but my arsenal is as follows: usually start out with the Radical Squatch pearl (at 5000 grit) out at the 7 board. After 2nd game switch to the Black Widow Gold at 4000 but lately that hasn't been working so plan to use my Brunswick Kingpin (at 500) targeting the 15 board. Also have a Radical Conspiracy solid, Brunswick Black Rhino pearl and T-Zone plastic ball.

I can't use my right arm due to a car accident when I was little so it stays in front of me but not sure that is my balance issue. Have always bowled this way.

I don't have a big hook and my ball generally doesn't arc out but rather rides the line my ball is sat down on. I was using the Kingpin Saturday at practice targeting the 15 board and did get a little arc out when I slowed my speed to about 15 MPH. It was cosmic bowling with no lights but appeared to cross the 15 at the arrows and break at about the 12 board.

There are a few other videos on my channel if you want to check them too but they are mainly only from my waist down. I 'think' I'm leaning too far left to get the ball out and setting it down too far from my slide foot which causes my balance issue but definitely up for ideas or suggestions. My right knee is sore after each league night. I'm 6'0 270lbs so that's alot of jarring on my knee...lol

EDIT: All balls are drilled standard pin just above ring finger and 99% of the time on a standard THS league pattern and we have 3 lefties on my team

Thanks!

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: off balance hop

Post by kajmk »

Sorry about your physical challenge from the accident.
Nonetheless, you've not let it stop you, that's a tribute to your strong spirit.
I knew a one armed kid in a h.s. I went too. Our basketball coach said that he'd love to have him on the team, but was not allowed to do so.
I can tell you that kid was good!!! He was also a leader in many senses of the word.

Two PBA players come to mind, Roger Bowker and Bob Learn. You can find them in action on YouTube. Learn is also used as a model in a Lou Marquez tip or two. While they do engage the other arm, their games might give you some models to study.

Bill Hall trick - This came to mind for several reasons.
This is temporary, though you may adapt this premise and adjust it.
In your stance, rest your ball against the front of your left upper leg. This can help with 2 things: getting the ball started with the first time your left leg moves, that "can" help with timing and swing slot issues. The ball should be replacing your left leg in the swing slot.

Here is a another timing training drill using a prop.

Harkening back to footwork, Mark Baker commented that footwork is the first thing he analyzes!!

One more thing, read and consider Ron Clifton's tip #14
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm

Stay the course and enjoy the ride.

For subsequent videos, see the link below.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching

Off the bat, I would work on foot work, using Kegel Teen Master Drills below for examples.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Thoughts ...
As for your size, as you age, that may become a bigger challenge to you.
Years ago a friend and co-worker invited me to walk/jog the steps a the ASU basketball arena, he is 6'1 or so, easily nearr 350, very big boned, carried it well. He was preparing for a hiking trip with his brother and a friend. They were going to hike down the Grand canyon. His brother prepared by running up and down the stairs of a wooden observation tower.
When I was in my late teens, I lived on the second floor of a two story apartment.
I started jogging up and down the stairs with as many encyclopedia volumes I could tuck under my arms.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

My thoughts:
I agree with John about your age and size. Having said that, you could try what I call finish to the start. Take your finish position as far as your spine tilt both laterally and horizontally and make your stance more closely resemble your finish position. My thinking is that if you can minimize your lateral spine tilt movements and forward spine tilt movement that might go a long way to helping you achieve better balance at the foul line thereby negating the need to hop.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician