Arm swing, hand position, and release

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
andie13

Arm swing, hand position, and release

Post by andie13 »

I have a really bad habit of my arm swing going WAY behind my body. When I watch video of myself bowling, I notice my hand and wrist turn so much that it kind of looks like my thumb is at 3 'o' clock at the top of my backswing. Once I reach the point on my release, however, my hand is basically on top of the ball and my thumb is at about 9 or 10 'o' clock. A lot of people have tried helping me, but it seems like they aren't able to give me any drills or actual tips to help me correct my problems.

Are there any drills or exercises that can help me? Any wrist supports or similar tools?

I throw 15 pounds and I have thought about moving down to 14, since it's possible it could be too heavy for me (grandma kept moving my ball weight up when I was younger because she thought it was always too light), but I've never had any fatigue issues. Maybe a weight change could help?

I know this isn't the best video, but it's the most recent one I have. Any advice would be extremely helpful! Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYe_z4Vi_I
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Arm swing, hand position, and release

Post by TonyPR »

Proper alignment to your line of play is key. If you were going to play 12 board at the arrows looking at a 6 board focal point at the pins (which is the left belly of the 10 pin) your ball should be landing on the 14 board and the right edge of your sliding shoe should be sliding on 19.

The ball needs to take the place of your right leg after ball start and replace the right leg again on the downsing to your release, ball should remain under your head from start to finish, head remains still. To do this you must first be standing in the correct board to be able to slide where you need to slide in relation to your intended line of play so if we were to use the above example you would be starting with the right edge of your left shoe on 15 which is 4 board less than where you want to slide (for the 12 to 6 example). First step would be forward, second step in front of the first step (not crossing over) then forward, forward, slide forward. The 4 board less difference from your starting board to your sliding board is the width of your shoe taken away from your second step of a five step approach.

All your elements of alignment should be in line with your intended line of play from address to finish: tip of right shoe, belt buckle, right forearm, right middle and ring finger and chest.

Hope this helps and if you ever have a chance visit the Kegel Training Center.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Arm swing, hand position, and release

Post by kajmk »

Here's Ron Clifton's article "Kickball for Strikes and Spares". It's a nice visual representation.

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip42_files/tip42.htm

One big challenge is overcoming the optical illusion of the bowling lane. It is I think a major reason why most of us intuitively misalign. Del Warren asserts that the vast majority of bowler's that he's worked with at Kegel require alignment tuning as LESSON #1 This is a major reason, we need to apply a bit of math and geometry to succeed.

Think of a yardstick as the lane and a bb as the ball, that is roughly a scale model.
This article does contain a scale diagram.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-pin_bowling

Take a look at this set, especially 7 and 8.
Among other things you will find a picture of some focal points at the pin deck.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John