I've got some ball roll questions

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

I've got some ball roll questions

Post by Mongo »

As a child of the 80's, there are times I get stuck on things I shouldn't...to the point I get preoccupied and tinker with things that aren't really broken.

Case in point, my ball roll bothers me. Not from a perspective of reaction, but how the oil line looks on my ball and my perception of what that means. For those of you who were around back in the days of plastic and urethane, guys who tracked low were weak spinners and their ball did nothing. As I've gotten older and adjusted to today's environment, my track is nearing the "spinner" zone.

That being said, I look at my tilt and I'm in the 8-10 degree range, which, in my mind, just doesn't match up with the oil lines I see on the ball.

Here's a ~zoomed in video. Doesn't look like a spinner, but when I see the track, that's all I think.

[youtube][/youtube]

Yes, I've got issues.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: I've got some ball roll questions

Post by MegaMav »

Your overlay has observer bias.
You need the camera down on the lane, not elevated.
If you want to raise your tilt and straighten your track up stop grabbing over the top of the ball at release and roll it off your fingers.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Mongo »

MegaMav wrote:Your overlay has observer bias.
You need the camera down on the lane, not elevated.
If you want to raise your tilt and straighten your track up stop grabbing over the top of the ball at release and roll it off your fingers.
That's a constant battle. Bowl on old Anvillane (rough surface) with a lot of oil, so I have to pop it to get it to corner.

I've also measured tilt by tracing the oil line. it was 12" = 10 degrees.

I need to work on plenty. Again, I keep promising a full thread, but it's going to take a lot of thought and videos. Got a lot to work on.
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

I prefer the armadillo method of measuring tilt, to me your 10* is a good number to work with and your track has a large healthy circumference, definitely not a spinner... now... your track seems to be closer to your thumb hole than your finger holes and that means you’re releasing your thumb a bit late. This is caused by grabbing and hitting up a bit on the ball. You have a nice solid physical game, the only thing I see you could work on is exactly what MegaMav said, you should learn to roll the ball “into” the lane. Learning to do this will
Dramatically increase your pin carry as you will have the design of the ball working for you and bowling will become easier, especially on sport conditions (I remember your last thread). To work on this you may (or may not) need a fit adjustment and some time doing release drills. It will be totally worth it.

Thank you for posting your video, without it I wouldn’t be able to see what’s actually going on.

Please keep us posted.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Mongo »

TonyPR wrote:I prefer the armadillo method of measuring tilt, to me your 10* is a good number to work with and your track has a large healthy circumference, definitely not a spinner... now... your track seems to be closer to your thumb hole than your finger holes and that means you’re releasing your thumb a bit late. This is caused by grabbing and hitting up a bit on the ball. You have a nice solid physical game, the only thing I see you could work on is exactly what MegaMav said, you should learn to roll the ball “into” the lane. Learning to do this will
Dramatically increase your pin carry as you will have the design of the ball working for you and bowling will become easier, especially on sport conditions (I remember your last thread). To work on this you may (or may not) need a fit adjustment and some time doing release drills. It will be totally worth it.

Thank you for posting your video, without it I wouldn’t be able to see what’s actually going on.

Please keep us posted.
Thanks to you both.

I'm going to shoot some video and put together a thread that may made you either want to slap me or commit me.

I really don't feel far off from where I want to be, but I've got a few small things that expose me when ratios get under 3:1.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Mongo »

Funny thing is, I'm confident in my bowling knowledge and have a solid coaching skill set....but trying to fix yourself is a completely different beast.

One positive is that I'm able to use myself as an big dartboard for ideas and it gives me ideas on how to explain concepts to my students in different ways. I think we all would agree that the ability to explain a thought process or physical motion in multiple ways is a core concept when coaching.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Mongo wrote:Funny thing is, I'm confident in my bowling knowledge and have a solid coaching skill set....but trying to fix yourself is a completely different beast.

One positive is that I'm able to use myself as an big dartboard for ideas and it gives me ideas on how to explain concepts to my students in different ways. I think we all would agree that the ability to explain a thought process or physical motion in multiple ways is a core concept when coaching.
I humbly agree with everything you say Mongo, especially the coaching yourself part.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent