I need a full and total breakdown....in person

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

I need a full and total breakdown....in person

Post by Mongo »

As I'm closing in on the big 5-0, I'm back and forth as to whether I want to take the deep dive on the PBA50 stuff next year. However, if I'm going to do this, I need to work with somebody who can give me an honest breakdown and whether it's even worth it.

I'm talking everything, physical game, lane play, arsenal, the whole thing. I should emphasize my lane play strategy is horrible. Old me got decent/good at playing everywhere, but in today's environment (on sport shots) lefties are pretty much have a 12 board lane. I need help in managing that properly.

Problem is, a lot of the people I know have a tendency to get a little cookie cutter. I'm more than willing to make changes, but if it would require an overhaul, I'm OK with being an above average house hack who bowls the occasional weekend sweeper. Problem is, I still have delusions of grandeur and would like to take my "old guy" shot. If I'm wasting my time, I'll gladly enjoy leagues and play more golf.

I know I could go to Kegel, but I'd rather keep it a little more local so I could contact/visit if I needed to. I'm in central KY and willing to drive some.

I know of one person on here who shall remain nameless, but this is lot to ask and I know they used to have a pretty busy schedule in their retirement. :)

So, if anybody has any suggestions, fire away.

P.S. I'm not above starting a whole thread on here with some deep dive discussions/videos, but I would like some 1 on 1. Online discussion is great, but immediate feedback is still big for me.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: I need a full and total breakdown....in person

Post by MegaMav »

Mongo wrote:As I'm closing in on the big 5-0, I'm back and forth as to whether I want to take the deep dive on the PBA50 stuff next year. However, if I'm going to do this, I need to work with somebody who can give me an honest breakdown and whether it's even worth it.

I'm talking everything, physical game, lane play, arsenal, the whole thing. I should emphasize my lane play strategy is horrible. Old me got decent/good at playing everywhere, but in today's environment (on sport shots) lefties are pretty much have a 12 board lane. I need help in managing that properly.

Problem is, a lot of the people I know have a tendency to get a little cookie cutter. I'm more than willing to make changes, but if it would require an overhaul, I'm OK with being an above average house hack who bowls the occasional weekend sweeper. Problem is, I still have delusions of grandeur and would like to take my "old guy" shot. If I'm wasting my time, I'll gladly enjoy leagues and play more golf.

I know I could go to Kegel, but I'd rather keep it a little more local so I could contact/visit if I needed to. I'm in central KY and willing to drive some.

I know of one person on here who shall remain nameless, but this is lot to ask and I know they used to have a pretty busy schedule in their retirement. :)

So, if anybody has any suggestions, fire away.

P.S. I'm not above starting a whole thread on here with some deep dive discussions/videos, but I would like some 1 on 1. Online discussion is great, but immediate feedback is still big for me.
Stop bowling on house shots, build a relationship with a bowling center that will allow you to practice on patterns that actually evaluate something. Feedback means motivation to fix parts of your game. You need to be versatile beyond what it takes to score on a house shot, which honestly isnt much.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Mongo, here's hoping you get the help you need.
Here is a thought, I don't know if it has much merit.
Consider reaching out to some pros for coaching referrals in your area.
One thought that occurred was that some PBA and Lady Pros maintain a presence on social media. Perhaps there might be some potential there. I added the link as it lists bowler's and home towns with social media icons ...

https://www.pba.com/bowlers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anecdotal : Eric Forkel (hmm coincidentally a lefty) worked with several Coachs when he was on tour. He mentioned that in articles. One of those Coachs was in my area, I even went to him for a while. Alas, miracles were beyond him :roll:
Be that as it may, I'm sure there is some networking that occurs.
It does not hurt to cast out a net.

Wishing you what it takes to get the job done and a never quit attitude.

BTW, although many may perceive 50 as old, mileage may vary.
Gordie Howe laced up his skates and played hockey with his sons when he was 50.
I was actually doing things in my mid 50's that surprised me. Granted, the younger you start the better.

Get it done brother!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Just read Michelle Mullen's article in BJI.

Cogent takeaway, "When making a change, don't get ahead of yourself".

I had the pleasant experience of getting a bit of coaching from Michelle, many year ago at ASU. She was there with her coaching partner, and local coaches conducting a multiday clinic. The coach to student ratio was excellent. Michelle has: great eye, knowledge, communication skills, warm and earnest personality. You meet her for the first time and it's like you've been friends for life. Pretty good bowler too.

At any rate, patience is a virtue. As Tug said, "Ya gotta believe" ...

Above all be honest and fair with yourself.

Again, enjoy the journey.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Mongo »

MegaMav wrote: Stop bowling on house shots, build a relationship with a bowling center that will allow you to practice on patterns that actually evaluate something. Feedback means motivation to fix parts of your game. You need to be versatile beyond what it takes to score on a house shot, which honestly isnt much.
I bowl on sport shots pretty regularly, but the flatter, high volume/low taper ones are really tough for me. Too much speed and axis rotation to control the ball out of the pattern. I've tried early rolling layouts, softening speed up (as much as I can and still maintain timing), and urethane. Results have been less than impressive.

From what I've seen, this is what I need to work on (and could use help with).
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Mongo, I coach youth who regularly play these types of shots, mainly WTBA, lower axis rotation and tilt is a common factor along the ones that score well on fresh. Big balls and adequate surface and layout are key too. What’s your tilt and rotation ranges and can you adjust them at will.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Mongo »

TonyPR wrote:Mongo, I coach youth who regularly play these types of shots, mainly WTBA, lower axis rotation and tilt is a common factor along the ones that score well on fresh. Big balls and adequate surface and layout are key too. What’s your tilt and rotation ranges and can you adjust them at will.
Tilt 11-12, but I can pull out the spinbiscuit and get it up to the mid 20's
Axis rotation - A game is around 60, but I can get it down to 45 or up to 80.

I've got some flexibility, but just can't find the right combo on these patterns.

As for equipment, I've tried big balls the roll off my hand, calmer mid range stuff with surface, and even urethane.

I'm trying to keep angles tight, but wonder if I should open the lane up a little to allow for all the hook. Only problem is that on the left side, they never soften up, so you have to throw in darn near perfect to control the motion. If I keep it direct, the ball goes 90 degrees.

In general, I feel like I make horrible lane play decisions way too often.

Now, I know they aren't as flat/extreme on senior stuff, but I still need work on this....and on many other things. :)
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Ok I think we’re getting somewhere. On these patterns, especially for a lefty, 45* will be at the higher end of the axis rotation we will need. Practice getting 1 or 2 releases with less then 45*. Tilt is ok but no need to pull out the spin biscuit, we need to create friction. With an earlier read (surface, ball and layout) and less direction change from lowering your axis rotation, you will blend the pattern better getting into a roll earlier and keeping the backend reaction more under control. Remember that these patterns have a low margin of error at the pattern exit, sometimes as low as 3 boards, forget about house shots and go for it. I know you are a good player, if you believe you can do it go for it, it doesn’t matter what others think, life is one (unless reincarnation exists and we won’t know until we die and are born again but what if we end up liking basketball instead of bowling or are born in a country where we are forced to work since age 10...) what I mean is, if you got the means try it!

...and please report back.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent