Footwork trainwreck

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Footwork trainwreck

Post by Mongo »

I almost hate to post this, but I got a message from one of my former student's parents last night and, well......just look. Be warned, this isn't pretty.

[youtube][/youtube]

I haven't worked with him in about a year. Had him at around 210, but, according to the dad, over the last 6 months this happened. The kid is just about to quit because he can't hit the side of a barn.

I've got some ideas, but I'm more than open to any other drills/thoughts you all might have. I feel sorry for the young man, he does a lot right, but there's no way he can be successful like this.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Footwork trainwreck

Post by kajmk »

A few tidbits until an active coach replies.

It's obvious the first step is an extreme cross over step. Even without a ball, the body will automatically mimic his footwork out of self defense. Try it and see.

I'm not sure why he takes that first step that way, but after that step, he is almost doomed.
So objective 1 might be change step 1.

The next link has Jim's illustration of the balance beam step, which he has stated as his preference. I think the term "crossover step" is part of the problem as it's open ended insofar as how far.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5639&p=44966&hilit=Kentucky#p44966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even though coach Shockley says "crossover", look at his step, it is a "balance beam step"
I used to call it walking on a board and that was before I heard any terminology.
Schockley's video.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris Barnes takes 5 steps, if you watch his first step, a slide step, he just about rubs that foot into the other, keeping it low and tight. Barnes is a poster boy for footwork.

For what it's worth, in the 2014 ETBF presentation to USBC coaches they said they only teach 5 steps, their decision based on their data, that video is on the wiki.

Using Kegel's tape channels on the approach as seen in their 3rd of 10 tips on the wiki can help. Noting well the methodology and adhering to the progression might help.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that some Coachs use a pointer to tap students as a reminder!

I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Cursing auto correct in advance :oops:
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Re: Footwork trainwreck

Post by Mongo »

Thanks for the input.

I had noticed how exaggerated that first step is and how it got exponentially worse as he moved forward. He worked with another coach who was obsessed about creating space. With his build (thin, wide shoulders) I don't think it's as big of an issue as it would be for others.

Plan is to eliminate the crossover altogether and just have him stand up and walk to the line in a normal manner with the ball by his side. My hope is that he can feel what it's like to walk straight again.

As we all know, footwork is the beast of coaching, so this should be a bit of a journey. I'm working with him Friday and will post updates.

If anybody has any other drills, I'm always open for new ideas.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.