How bad is my backswing/release

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70

How bad is my backswing/release

Post by nwohbowler »

Ok, so I know typically both a behind and side video is required, but there is rarely/if ever enough open lanes to the side to record that angle. So, hopefully I can get some feedback on what can be seen wrong just from the back angle. Basically, I think I can see that my arm gets behind my body a bit on the backswing. Is it bad enough that I should start working of fixing it? I have 3 or 4 different releases that I use depending on the lanes. I don't know if my release is very clear in this video though.
If preferred, you can remove this post and I will do my best to try to find a time where I can get both angles sometime in the future.
[youtube][/youtube]
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: How bad is my backswing/release

Post by TonyPR »

Yes you should fix it. Your swing is going around your body, it should go up and down, more like a ferris wheel than a carousel. You will get more power and accuracy with a better swing plane. Think about two things: ball should replace your ball side leg when going back towards your backswing and it should replace the ball side leg again when going forward to your release. Keep head above ball at all times, rotate your shoulder under your head at release, think about trying to align head, clavicle, arm and ball at release. Practice in front of a mirror with a prop (softball or light object). Hope this helps,
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: How bad is my backswing/release

Post by kajmk »

Nwohbowler
I had a reply in progress then blew the connection away.
Not using a computer can be frustrating.
Posting a quickie before I lose this.
Will dress it up later ... work in progress

Disclaimer Alert, I'm not an active coach.
Tony has a track record, I do not.
Symptoms are easy to see, determining cause is the key.
I'm not saying I'm good at it.

For a thorough analysis by Jim or Tony, provide a side and rear view.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you probably know, Jim typically will analyze your video, often using software as needed and create slides with graphics depicting angles, spaces etc.
His experience eye can cut to the chase and give you a succinct diagnosis and bullet point prescription.
Off times he will use compare and contrast showing the student and a good model.

Every coach I have worked with emphasized form and efficiency they also studied successful bowler's to see what they had in common. Of course, there are exceptions but the exceptions succeed because of atypical ability and or strength.
I often advocate studying elite women bowler's because they use physics very efficiently.
Many men would be better off considering studying a Verity Crawley as opposed to a Wes Malott. Consider your body type.

Here are a few tidbits, my opinions.
Side view will provide Coachs with the whole picture.

Your timing and walk will dictate the nature of your swing and consistency in your game.
I'm including links addressing what I see as priorities.
Primarily footwork, alignment, your landing.

Bowling (Kellytehuna) comment off foot action into the slide -
Your right foot SHOULD sweep to the left, clearing space to allow the ball to through the space you just created. If you kick your right leg up, that USUALLY means you have too much weight over your left toe and your body is simply trying to balance everything out. You'll find also that if you kick you right leg up, your upper body will want to lean forward and you left leg will tend to want to straighten out some.

As Mo has said repeatedly on the coaching forums - "There are no flamingos in bowling!"
[youtube][/youtube][/quote]

Kegel - Approach and Steps Drill
Your route is circuitous, plan on where you need to lay the ball down at the line.
Align your stance and approach and imagine walking on a balance beam. Direction, spacing, and cadence are paramount. You are not getting the full benefit or momentum from your legs, your arm and shoulder are doing most of the work. In essence you are not using your bigger muscles to your advantage and putting too much stress on your shoulder.

[youtube][/youtube]

Barnes is a great model, Mark Baker who according to his book and DVD uses Chris as a model citing Chris footwork as being among the best.

4- and 5-step Approach by Chris Barnes

[youtube][/youtube]

Chris Barnes - Intermediate Tips #6 - Moving Inside
Think about the turret on a tank facing the target as the tank is moving forward.
Chris explains how he deals with bowling when the ball return is in the way.

[youtube][/youtube]

Take the time to watch and listen to Juha and Ondar, it is worth your time.
The ETBF videos are segments of what is on the wiki as one video.
In my opinion, the ETBF does a better job and has a more robust training regimen for teaching coaches. We sorely need a program like theirs here.

ETBF Timing and Approach part two
[youtube][/youtube]

ETBF Timing and Approach part three
[youtube][/youtube]

I wonder if practicing focal points with a straight ball would be helpful.
Plot from focal thru online targets thru lay down point.
Remember the ETT mantra.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John