Suggestions on drills/practice regimen for my shot

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
ModernGame

Suggestions on drills/practice regimen for my shot

Post by ModernGame »

After getting some excellent feedback on my previous post, I have been trying to make corrections to my game. Unfortunately, my timing still seems to be early and my swing still goes behind my back. Both of these flaws are evident in my game; when I miss, I usually miss right of target due to these two huge flaws. Below are the videos of my current shot:

Back view:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Side view:

It would be a great help to me if you guys could help me develop a practice regimen that would address the flaws in my game. There are many great drills online, but I'm not sure what drills to do to best help my game and in what order I should do them.

I'm also unsure as to what aspect of my game I should work on first or which is more important to accurate shot making, my early timing or the swing not being straight enough. Below is a drill progression in order I've come up with myself for your critique and adjustment:

Thank you for your help!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Suggestions on drills/practice regimen for my shot

Post by kajmk »

ModernGame, not being an active experienced coach, I will leave that to those blessed with a coaches eye. Thought I'd start the ball rolling for you.
I did want to point out a very important and perhaps overlooked part of the puzzle.
According to Del Warren, stance alignment to target line is the number one issue he sees with most bowlers.
Borrowing a phrase from a physical trainer, "our bodies are masters of compensation".
In diagnosis, the trick is to establish the source, Jim Merrell has the gift.
I just wanted to post Del's advice for you to contemplate.

First a short talk by Del
[youtube][/youtube]

Next his presentation at the World Bowling Coaches Conference can be found on this post,
Look at the index so you can fast forward.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additional reading, Ron Clifton's "Kickball for strikes and spares" in his article archive at http://www.bowl4fun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If a buddy stood behind you and place his arms over your shoulders in parallel as if to point where you are actually pointing, that might help. That is something I saw Michelle Mullen do.

I'd be curious to know if this happened no matter what single pin you targeted.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Suggestions on drills/practice regimen for my shot

Post by JMerrell »

ModernGame wrote: Unfortunately, my timing still seems to be early and my swing still goes behind my back.

It would be a great help to me if you guys could help me develop a practice regimen that would address the flaws in my game. Thank you for your help!
You can correct both of these issues by practicing and learning to perform the Swing & Slide Drill correctly!

There is a lot to learn by watching Verity preform this drill.
1) Both her push away and back swing stay centered on the yellow line.
2) There is minimal rotation in her shoulders!
3) At the top of her swing her right shoulder is on the yellow line. No behind her head as is yours. (too much shoulder rotation in your game).
4) Her down swing falls to the inside of the yellow line.

[youtube] " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/youtube]

Let's now look a Kristis preform the drill
1) Patience is required to allow the swing to reach the top before the slide foot moves.
2) Once at the top, patience is again required to allow the slide foot to move forward first and faster than the ball is falling downward. Accelerate the slide foot and most importantly allow GRAVITY to bring the ball down.
3) Done correctly when the slide foot has stopped the ball should be somewhere between the trail knee and under your center of gravity.

[youtube] " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/youtube]

Practice, practice, practice this drill.

If you can't preform this drill correctly you have a slim chance of ever fixing these issues in your full approach.

These videos have been slowed down to 25%.

When you feel you can preform these drills correctly, post a video of you doing each one.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"