Switched from two-finger to thumb in. Need Analysis

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
ryankao
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Switched from two-finger to thumb in. Need Analysis

Post by ryankao »

So I'm relatively new to "serious bowling". I guess what I mean by that is, I've bowled casually on and off since I was probably 10. I'm 22 now and have a friend who convinced me to start going regularly with him. My first day of bowling with him I shot a new high of 186 using his Track Paradox. Until then I had never thrown anything over 130, and never used anything but a house ball. Right then and there I was hooked.

The next day I went to the pro shop and ended up picking up a Hyper Cell Fused. I throw thumb-out with a strong hook. The reason I decided to have it drilled for thumb-out was my friend's ball was drilled that way too and I felt very comfortable with it. I've thrown maybe 30-40 games with the ball and currently sit around a 140 average. (keep in mind this is my 2nd week)

I realize the disadvantages to this style, and after speaking with my PSO and a few friends I've decided to convert to thumb-in with fingertips. My average has droppped considerably and I'm currently not having much fun, but I do realize I essentially have to relearn how to bowl.

Here is a back and side view of my shot: [youtube][/youtube]

Its rough. I'm fully committed to learning and being patient. I've watched just about every training/drill video I could find on youtube. (Norm Duke is the man) I currently generate very little hook on the ball. I get some revs but not on the correct axis. I've been working on drills to help keep my wrist behind the ball and allow my thumb to release prior to fingers to generate proper rotation. I'm having a VERY hard time with it. Weak wrist? Even doing the swing/slide drill I still have issues getting it to travel down the lane with proper rotation. I'm consistently spinning it like a top. Will a wrist positioner help train this? I'm by no means a weak guy. But I do have fairly small wrists and fingers. I realize that there are likely other variables in my shot that need to be addressed prior to being concerned about nailing my release. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Switched from two-finger to thumb in. Need Analysis

Post by JMerrell »

Welcome to the site.

You're new to the game and very young and youthful.

I think you were on the right track when you had the ball drilled without a thumb.

Looking at both your thumb out mechanics versus the thumb in, your path to fun (hook) and development were much closer in the thumb out delivery.

If you were a student of mine I'd recommend the thumb out delivery with the addition of the left hand.

In other words a Two-Handed approach.

Adding the second hand will provide support for the right hand and better control of your delivery.

Study this example of developing a two handed approach:

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... y_elements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If on the other hand you prefer to pursue the thumb in technique......I suggest you find a coach to work with to help you.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"