This is why I switched to 2-hand....

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
Smiley1994

This is why I switched to 2-hand....

Post by Smiley1994 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is my most recent video of me doing 2-handed. I am trying to match ball speed to rev rate but I am having a lot of difficulty.

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: This is why I switched to 2-hand....

Post by TonyPR »

Very good lesson by none other than Mr Bill Hall! He’s one of the good coaches out there.

Ok, I can see you applied successfully what he showed you about presenting the ball closer to your body to minimize the gap and to take your hips around it. Keep practicing until you can’t see a gap, coach Rick Wiltze at Kegel told me that Belmo likes to feel his ball side elbow rub against his body both on the down swing and on the forward swing releasing five boards right of his slide foot, that’s very close.

Now as for generating speed, it is a function of getting your weight in front of your body on the short step just before your slide, this should feel like your are going to foul with your head. You do this very well but after this is when you loose your speed. In order to get the speed needed, lag should be created, just like in a golf swing. On your slide (which you have none) your shoulders should be relaxed, weight of the ball on your left hand, so that as you thrust your body weight forward into your slide the ball should feel like it is going the opposite direction (back), this will create lag and will cause a “slingshot” effect. Don’t try to throw the ball with your arms, use them to help the ball as it will naturally want to go forward once your slide begins to stop. Don’t loft as trying to throw the ball up will rob you of even more speed, lofting is an advanced skill and should be done parallel to the lane, instead learn to release on to the lane, like an airplane landing, the closer to your ankle the better.

The other thing that is robbing you of speed is, like stated by others, going around the ball. Picture this, you are in the water (pool or ocean), about thigh deep, and you want to push water to make a big wave forward. If you scoop water from the back with your hand but just before releasing it you rotate your hand leading with the thumb index side, most of the water you scooped will be lost and the wave created will be weak. You must learn to release through the ball.

Once I find some more time I will reply again with some recommended drills though I warn you, you will need to forget about score for a while, use a considerably lighter ball for the drills and stand 10-15 to roll up 5-10... this is just for practice but as a bonus you will learn to play up the boards, a thing many amateur two handers don’t know how to do...

To be continued...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: This is why I switched to 2-hand....

Post by TonyPR »

Ok here we go:

Drill #1
Swing and slide drill, we need to get you sliding thrusting your weight forward in order to feel the lag. This drill should be done first with a partner and then after you get a feel for the lag you can do it on your own. Grab a house ball 2-3 lbs lighter than what you use, we will be focusing on quality of motion. You will need to stand about where your power step ends (the step before the slide) so you have enough space for a long slide, make sure your slide consistently leaves you very close to the foul line so you don’t need to loft and are able to release on to the lane. Do a few test slides without a ball and without using your arms, focus on knee bend, spine tilt (lateral and forward) and finishing with your right foot in the air (think fouling with your head). Start with your right foot slightly in front of your left, heel of right foot at about left foot arch. Just before you slide, start “bowing” (similar to a japanese salute) 45* right (forward and to the side) increasing as you slide trying to bring your chest towards your slide knee. You can do this standing on 20-25.

Once you get comfortable doing this grab the lighter house ball, swing it back before your slide setting up the forward and lateral spine tilt, think head outside shoulder. Once the ball gets back have your partner grab it and hold it, begin your slide, he should hold it until you are about half way through your slide. That is how lag should feel. Release on to the lane. You can try this without a ball first. Don’t hesitate to use a 10# ball if you need to, this is a “feel” drill.

Next drill coming soon...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent