Timing issue

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
MALT

Timing issue

Post by MALT »

What is happening w/ the timing here? She's really late & appears to be pulling from the top collapsing the wrist @ release. How to fix????

AND then there is my other teammate. {Looks like the same thing only timing not quite as bad}
Last edited by MALT on November 17th, 2017, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Timing issue

Post by TonyPR »

Hello and welcome to bowling chat!

Here's what I see:
Player 1 (the lady), her timing doesn't look too bad. The wrist collapsing may be a fit issue, she is wearing a wrist device which should keep the wrist from breaking, probably squeezing the ball a lot. I also see she is having a bit of balance issues at the foul line. I would like to see a back view video to properly diagnose. Does she have any knee injury or issue? First thing I would do is check her fit including the proper use of thumb tape.

Player 2 timing is rather early and he has a severe balance issue when delivering the ball. This is caused by two things: he ends up too far away from the foul line which is easily fixed by moving him a foot or two up on the approach. He also increases his forward spine tilt significantly as he is about to deliver the ball. You can have him practicing setting up his spine tilt right when the ball finishes it's descent from the push away (when it reaches the bottom), and keeping it constant until after release therefore posting his shot. His head should be over his slide foot so his weight ends up in balance, it ends up too far forward.

Hope this helps!
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Timing issue

Post by kajmk »

Malt, how much are they willing to change?

Very good points from Tony.
Keep in mind that Tony IS an active coach and I am not!!!

Opinions and references follow.
Both have things that could be tweaked in their stance and ball placement in to the swing
Those things could actually be practiced at home.
That would be a starting point no pun intended.

One thing most of us need is to be better spare shooters, take note of their open frames, assess, weaknesses there.

You can view some very useful and free video tips via the wiki
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't let the "teen" in the title be a factor.
There are a LOT of USBC video tips on YouTube. Look for USBC tips.
I attended one of Rod Ross's Silver Classes way back when ...

Not trying to make clones, but as many coaching greats have said, there are things that most elite bowlers have in common and there must be reasons for that.

Mark Baker built his system around what he calls the 10 Hall of Fame positions.
These positions are all achievable by any able bodied person.

Also, ask your make bowlers to sublimate their egos and pick an elite woman bowler to study.

Tony's observation on the ladies grip is a point well made. With a better grip, she may not need a wrist device. The grip IS the first thing a coach should assess.
Get the grip right before any changes.
Discuss the use of tape and tape options, be sure they know and use it properly.

If I were using a computer with software to view frame by frame, I'd be scrutinizing the entire clip, but the items at the start should be considered and as I said, they do not need to bowl to practice.

This wiki page also contains links to member reviews of books and videos
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... l_Material" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If one is so inclined, there is a wealth of educational material available.

Cheerio.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John