Ball weight for youth bowler

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Ball weight for youth bowler

Post by TonyPR »

Ok here's the issue, my daughter who is currently 12 years old 5'3.5" and weighs 118 lbs of lean muscle and bone, currently bowls with 12 lbs. She took a few days off after Jr Gold and this week we have begun to work on some physical game issues, mainly getting her power step out of her swing plane and smoothing out her swing so she doesn't pull the ball and releases it more from behind the ball. The Eileen's Bowling Buddies floor ovals have been very helpful with the walking.

Today she was doing great and after bowling 2 and a half games she asks me if she can try my 15 lbs ball just for fun. I told her to be careful but to go for it and oh what a smooth swing she did, released behind the ball with a few more revs and all. The ball weight doesn't allow her to pull it so swing and timing really smoothed out. I proceeded to put a hundred pieces of tape in the thumbhole and took out my phone for video and ball speed apps. Ball speed with 12 lbs is 14.5 mph monitor and with my 15 lbs with giant holes it's 13.5 mph monitor. She then proceeded to finish her third game with the 15 lbs ball and then rolled three more with great form and no loss in speed or revs. She wanted to keep going but I told her to stop because she had rolled a total of 6 games. It's been over 4 hrs now and she says nothing hurts. I am going to see how she feels tomorrow but am seriously considering increasing her ball weight. Does anyone know any similar cases of young girls bowling with heavy balls?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Ball weight for youth bowler

Post by kajmk »

Tony, she has a good coach. Sounds like she uses rather than abused physics.
Results speak for themselves.

Bill Spigner wrote an analysis of Missy Parkin's game. Missy rolls 16 pound balls.
See May 2013
http://www.billspigner.com/articles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Missy's page.
Birthdate: December 9, 1981
Hometown: Laguna Hills, CA
Height: 5’4’’
Weight: 126 lbs
College: California State University, Fullerton

http://www.missyparkin.com/about-me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Ball weight for youth bowler

Post by JMerrell »

TonyPR wrote:Ok here's the issue, my daughter who is currently 12 years old 5'3.5" and weighs 118 lbs of lean muscle and bone, currently, bowls with 12 lbs.

Typically, we have used their age or 10% of body weight as a guideline to proper weight ball for our young athletes.

You say that "The ball weight (15 lb) doesn't allow her to pull it so swing and timing really smoothed out.

If she is pulling the 12 lb ball then I suspect there that is a timing issue in her current form.

She rolled three more games with the 15 lb. ball with great form and no loss in speed or revs.

No loss in speed or revs.......not sure how to decipher that......is her release style similar to Verity Crawly or Daria Pajak's? if not I would stay with 12 lbs and let's improve the release. Otherwise, if we move our student's up in weight too soon they might never develop a stronger release (more modern release) but just throw a heavier ball with their current style of release.

I am going to see how she feels tomorrow but I am seriously considering increasing her ball weight?

Tony, I love your passion and efforts to grow youth bowling. I am going to pm you, my email address, send me her back and side video for a look see. This not to say you are not doing a great job with your daughter, just offering a second opinion.

Diandra Asbaty went back to 14 lbs for 15 lbs. This move helped her to increase both ball speed and rev rate, a move necessary for her to compete with the younger generation now on the PWBA tour.

I watched her bowl some while at the PWBA Detroit open, she was impressive with the change in ball weight. My guess is that she probably feels now that change was due long ago.
I saw a young lady at JOG this year, Jenna Williams (U20) from Florida. She threw the ball very hard, but she also had a very high rev rate that matched the ball speed. Very impressive!
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"