tips for bowling with a higher backswing

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
mrbean
THS Average: 150
Speed: 12-14 mph camera
Heavy Oil Ball: kingpin, awesome finish, grind, crank, super carbide bomb,
Medium Oil Ball: soniq, grind/r, primal rage remix
Light Oil Ball: anything that works
Preferred Company: lane #1

tips for bowling with a higher backswing

Post by mrbean »

i am trying to start bowling with a higher backswing to get my ball speed up. my only problem is i can't seem to aim it very well (i pull it a lot). so any ideas? the reason i thought i could get more speed is one because some one told me it would, and i see this guy on our team with a really high backswing and he's about 4 inches shorter than me and not any bigger and he throws 18 mph for a strike while i am at around 11-12 mph.
Last edited by mrbean on March 28th, 2017, 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: tips for bowling with a higher backswing

Post by TonyPR »

It is a common misconception, even to coaches, that a higher backswing will produce more ball speed. It can a little bit but if it is forced it will do more damage than good by messing up your timing and accuracy. Speed comes from the legs. Post a side video and I will show you how to get more speed. If you don't believe me look at two handers, they have a very low backswing and very high speed, it's a combination of their tempo, foot speed, power step and timing.

One of the most common causes of "pulling it" is late timing.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

Higher backswing equals more speed , I wonder what Pete Weber thinks of that ? Pete doesn't have what I consider even above average ball ball speed ,so lets throw that notion out . you should post a video.
my only problem is i can't seem to aim it very well (i pull it a lot).
What I'm thinking (without a video to go on) is that the swing is getting to the foul line before you are done with your slide. You should post a video!
How are you creating a higher backswing? There are many ways and most are wrong. you should post a video just saying.

Ways to get a higher backswing -
1) Learn a hinged swing - http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/sto ... ifeb09.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2) Keep you same swing but slow down steps 1 and 2 .
3) More forwards tilt as the ball nears the top of the swing - https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 0040fd.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

mrbean, take a look at the ETBF videos that were thoughtfully added to the wiki.
It is well worth your time. They can also be found on youtube. The presentation at the ITRC video is also available in segments. The second video by Mohamed Janahi also contains textual passages and later on in the video text overlays on some video.
It would also profit you to look at some of the Kegel Teen Masters instructional set of 10 videos.

Pete Weber came immediately to mind. Excellent contrast to the compact swings of the two handed set.

I believe Juha and Onder make very credible and excellent points in the ETBF presentation and I wish their teachings would get more exposure in the U.S.

Ron Clifton offers this thought on letting the ball fall, "Imagine a thumb tack between the ball and your palm ...

As you watch SOME elite bowlers you will see deviations from best practices. However they are elite and rare athletes with the innate ability to succeed, despite deviations from what is commonly espoused.

Also, I've always thought that most aspiring bowlers should study successful female bowlers. By and large, they are not using a lot of muscle.

Kudos to the good advice already posted!!

Cheers.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John