Women's bowling

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
dukeblue1987
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5 right x 1/8 up
Speed: 15-16
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Anything smooth with a lot of surface
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road
Light Oil Ball: Ebonite Puma
Preferred Company: Storm

Women's bowling

Post by dukeblue1987 »

Just curious to see what your guys take on the differences between an ideal physical game between men and women.

Specifically, I few things that crossed my mind. These thoughts are pretty general, and not targeted at any individual player.

1. Getting the balance arm in front you or "swim move" as some call it. It seems like a much greater percentage of men do this. It would seem to me that this would help many women create extra ball speed and revolutions.

2. Timing at the beginning of the approach. A lot of the top men seem to get the ball just above the knee as the 2nd step (5 steps) hits the floor. The women seem to have a more "traditional" push away and later timing at the start.

3. Hand position at the top of the swing. The top men seem to be much further on the inside of the ball. I'm thinking this could be directly related to the balance arm I mentioned in #1.

Thoughts? Would love to here your opinions on these three topics, as well as ANY OTHER topic you feel is worth mentioning.

Thanks!
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Women's bowling

Post by Mo Pinel »

dukeblue1987 wrote:Just curious to see what your guys take on the differences between an ideal physical game between men and women.

Specifically, I few things that crossed my mind. These thoughts are pretty general, and not targeted at any individual player.

1. Getting the balance arm in front you or "swim move" as some call it. It seems like a much greater percentage of men do this. It would seem to me that this would help many women create extra ball speed and revolutions.

2. Timing at the beginning of the approach. A lot of the top men seem to get the ball just above the knee as the 2nd step (5 steps) hits the floor. The women seem to have a more "traditional" push away and later timing at the start.

3. Hand position at the top of the swing. The top men seem to be much further on the inside of the ball. I'm thinking this could be directly related to the balance arm I mentioned in #1.

Thoughts? Would love to here your opinions on these three topics, as well as ANY OTHER topic you feel is worth mentioning.

Thanks!

I believe most of what your seeing is related to the coaching methods that the women are exposed to. Because of the more diminutive stature of most women, rhythm and balance are essential to success for women. Look at Kelly Kulick, she and I have worked together a lot. She has a classic "See It, Feel It, Do It" game because of what she's been exposed to. And by the way, it's very successful.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Hi Mr Duke,

Environment – we are a product of it; good or bad

For years women have been encouraged to extend the ball outward (traditional blankety blank as you called it) to generate speed. They have been taught to stand further back on the approach and take longer steps – again to generate speed. Being of more diminutive statue they should be taught how to properly utilize their lower body to generate speed and power.

Swim move (I like it – learned a new term). I believe the balance arm out in front is a result of the rotation of the upper body and keeping the head over the ball. Arm out in front is the body’s reaction to maintain balance. Keep your head over the ball and the balance arm will take care of itself.

The open hand position is being taught by very few coaches /coaching systems (black magic). It is a very effective method to create power with less stress on the hand and wrist. Not being taught is just part of the lack of education throughout the coaching system. Once again women bowlers have become what they are exposed too.

Enjoy the collage,
Kentucky - Fast horses, blue grass and swimming women
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I was thinking of adding Swim Move to the Glossary, so I did a search to see if Jim had referenced it.
I will put that on my mental to do list

If memory serves me well, I first heard that term at a USBC Bronze seminar. One of the other students used it. He worked for Ebonite in the ball design and development area. He's been on some videos.
Like a few other folks in the class, his knowledge surpassed the scope of the class.
Listening to him and a few others, there was extra knowledge to be gleaned.
Then there was the instructor, Palmer Falgren, very good. Too bad he couldn't free lance more.

Any problem with adding Swim Move to the Glossary , folks???

On Mo's comments about women's bowling, I'd often thought that many bowlers regardless of gender study elite women bowlers as to be successful they more than likely have to be technically proficient.
If nothing else, it would seem to be a darn good start.

On a tangent, I would think that studying elite bowlers with similar body types would be helpful.
We are all not blessed with ideal shapes and sizes.

I would think that certain body shapes have their challenges.

The essentials Mssrs. Merrell, Pinel, and some others espouse should be available at all bowling centers and Pro Shops. So many bowlers would benefit from the concepts.
The THS aka Emperors New Clothes Patterns keep up the Grand Illusion ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John