3 Step Approach

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
eblues

3 Step Approach

Post by eblues »

WOW! My son posted a short vid of me bowling.... I don't look anything like I thought I did. *VERY* enlightening, and a little depressing, actually.

I've seen enough coaching sessions with my son to spot a handful of issues on my own. Clearly, I could benefit from some expert guidance, and I may come back later with the required back and side videos.

For now, the big question is regarding my 3 step approach. I do take four steps, but the ball doesn't move forward until the 2nd step. When I look online for info regarding the 3 step approach, there is a lot of confusion. I mostly find folks discussing the method of abbreviating a four step approach to shorten the travel distance. This is done by starting the ball before the feet, then finishing as a four step.

I don't do that, I pack the ball delivery into a true three step approach, which it seems is not very popular among better bowlers.

In my mind my number one issue is inability to hit my target. Researching ways to improve that led me to the discovery of my three step approach, and then this site.

I've experimented recently with converting to a four step approach (as taught by Norm Duke), but so far that feels very uncomfortable. I feel like I practically have to run up to the line. Obviously it would not be an overnight transition. So I would need to wait until league is over, if I'm going to make the switch.

At my age (64), would the advantages of switching to a 4 step be worth my while? Or am I better of sticking with the three step, and just cleaning up my technique?

[youtube][/youtube]

PS - Despite my scary expression in the video, I do actually enjoy bowling! :lol:
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: 3 Step Approach

Post by TonyPR »

Welcome to BowlingChat, you have come to the right place.

A 3 step approach is very valid today, many power players use it to play in front of the ball return when the lanes are burned late in a block. That said your push away seems like a "hinge" which is actually what is being taught today by many modern coaches. You will see many 4 or 5 steps bowlers hinge during what would be your first step of your 3 step approach. As long as timing is not too late it is ok. I would really like to see your side and back view videos (please follow the guidelines), you seem very relaxed and fluid and who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks. Looking forward to helping you but would really need to see the correct angles in the videos, we need to eliminate that chicken wing.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Tony, thanks for continually helping people and being a true asset to this forum.
You do a lot to grow the sport.

A thank you to the folks that add information and videos to the Wiki.
The ETBF videos and the Kegel Teen Experience instructional video set.

To eblues, look at video 6 of the Kegel videos on the wiki
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You probably know that steps are used to build momentum and ball speed.
On a historical note, back before there was a premium on ball speed (necessitated by ball technology) Mike Durbin won three Firestone Tournament of Champions titles using a 5, a 4, and a 3 step approach.
Del Warren at one point used a 3 1/2 step approach, at the suggestion of coach John Jowdy.

Cheers and thanks to all on board who "Play Real Good For Free"

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2L7iCOpRDjM[/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

kajmk thank you for the kind words, I enjoy doing this and try to do the best that I can. I respect this forum very much as I believe it is the most accurate and complete bowling knowledge place in the internet and I take very serious the responsibility of giving the best possible advice I can give, being a coach although it is not my day job is very important to me because I believe that having a sport is a necessary part of one's life and if I can help make that experience more enjoyable to others then that feels good.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent