Horrible swing, need advice

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
newroller

Horrible swing, need advice

Post by newroller »

So I've been bowling for about 6 weeks. I work with a coach weekly and practice 5 days a week about 4-6 games per day. I'm a big guy (6'3) with wide shoulders and a tall torso. I'm finally getting comfortable not breaking my wrist and releasing the ball more consistently. My swing is horrible though. After video review I see why the ball is shooting to the left so often. I'm swinging the ball around my body and can't for the life of me break the habit. I bowled 6 games tonight and recorded most of my shots trying different things to no avail. I see also that my last step is awkward. Being so tall, I't tough getting down low to release the ball without swinging my leg out I imagine. I just don't know how to fix this or where to start.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, in advance.

[youtube][/youtube]
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Horrible swing, need advice

Post by TonyPR »

Welcome to Bowling Chat and to bowling! First thing I need to say is that you should always remember that practice does NOT make perfect, practice makes permanent and if you practice the correct form it will eventually become second nature just like walking. This will also happen if you practice with bad form a lot, it will become permanent and more difficult to correct. What I recommend for you to do first is to find the best certified coach you can find in your area and schedule a lesson every other week. A good coach will teach you solid fundamentals and will give you drills to isolate and practice specific parts of your swing and approach. It is also very very very important to have a ball fitted to your hand by a qualified professional, look for an IBPSIA certified pro shop for this, bowling ball fit is very important as one cannot out coach a bad fit. Where are you located? Maybe someone here can recommend a good coach and pro shop in your area.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent